Australian Land Rover Owners

Gallery Donate Games Arcade Calendar Markets Shop Chat Subscribe! Files Links
Go Back   Australian Land Rover Owners > Technical Forums > Technical Chatter


Technical Chatter Tips, Tricks, and Technocrats

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 31st July 2009, 06:07 PM
Fossicker
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Deloraine Tasmania
Posts: 22
Thanks: 6
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
200tdi timing belt change

Hi All,
I am in the middle of a timing belt change on a 93 disco with what I think is a 200tdi. The first timing belt kit that arrived had the wrong tensioner, belt was OK. A bit of research and I find that most 200tdi don't look like mine. Mine has an idler and all the ones I have seen don't. Where there any 300tdi with v belts for fan etc and with a cable throttle and round air cleaner? A transition model maybe.
Any advice would be great.
Ian.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 31st July 2009, 06:28 PM
c.h.i.e.f's Avatar
Wizard
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Cessnock NSW
Posts: 1,487
Thanks: 1,056
Thanked 199 Times in 149 Posts
hello there
i have a 1994 200tdi defender (and yes it has V belts) that is just about to click over to 250,000km's and i am about to do the timing belt and head gasket for its bday from what i have been told (by a person that knows landys inside and out) is that before him and i start work on it i need to purchase an idler pulley he also said that the second or 3rd timing belt change is a bit of bastard for some reason just remember that everything needs to be ligned up via holes and marks that are provided if not VERY bad things will result ..........Kabooom!

cheers!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to c.h.i.e.f For This Useful Post:
dieseldo (1st August 2009)
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 31st July 2009, 06:38 PM
langy's Avatar
Wizard
 
Join Date: Jan 1970
Location: Somewhere else, QLD
Posts: 1,866
Thanks: 9
Thanked 483 Times in 430 Posts
Apparently there is no mistaking the difference between 200 & 300 tdi bits - a picture will sort it out. As for the tensioner, it's a guess but it may be the boffins have gone the way of the 300tdi - the flanges are now on the crank pulley not the tensioner, which means you need a new one of them as well.

Can't answer the bit about no idler - could be anything from a rough modification with a different belt to the earlier 2.5 NA diesel.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 31st July 2009, 07:00 PM
c.h.i.e.f's Avatar
Wizard
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Cessnock NSW
Posts: 1,487
Thanks: 1,056
Thanked 199 Times in 149 Posts
oh and if it has lots of crap under the bonnet well it is probably a 300tdi but i dont think they were introduced until some time in 1994 when i say crap under the bonnet i mean covers and other attachments on the engine which fills the engine bay almost completely unlike my 200tdi that has a nice gap on the right hand side of the engine you could fit a baby elephant in and if it is a manual well the 200tdi's usually "usually" had an LT77 gear box (the reverse is situated up at the top left hand corner beside 1st were as usually the 300tdi has a r380 gear box that has reverse like a normal car) um apart from that i cant remember any more things off the top of my head apart from the 200 has a cast iron block and the 300 has a alloy block (forgive me if im wrong)
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 31st July 2009, 07:42 PM
discopete's Avatar
Master
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Huon Valley, Tasmania
Posts: 481
Thanks: 206
Thanked 100 Times in 72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldo View Post
Hi All,
I am in the middle of a timing belt change on a 93 disco with what I think is a 200tdi. The first timing belt kit that arrived had the wrong tensioner, belt was OK. A bit of research and I find that most 200tdi don't look like mine. Mine has an idler and all the ones I have seen don't. Where there any 300tdi with v belts for fan etc and with a cable throttle and round air cleaner? A transition model maybe.
Any advice would be great.
Ian.
Should be a 200tdi. Dipstick colour is a usual tell. Green for 200tdi and yellow for 300tdi.

Pete
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to discopete For This Useful Post:
dieseldo (1st August 2009)
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 1st August 2009, 06:05 AM
martinozcmax's Avatar
Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 572
Thanks: 192
Thanked 99 Times in 72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.h.i.e.f View Post
hello there
i have a 1994 200tdi defender (and yes it has V belts) that is just about to click over to 250,000km's and i am about to do the timing belt and head gasket for its bday from what i have been told (by a person that knows landys inside and out) is that before him and i start work on it i need to purchase an idler pulley he also said that the second or 3rd timing belt change is a bit of bastard for some reason just remember that everything needs to be ligned up via holes and marks that are provided if not VERY bad things will result ..........Kabooom!

cheers!
Hi Chief, let me know how you go please. I also have a 200 Tdi and mine is due a new timing belt in 30k or so at 500,000k's. I plan on replacing all the belts at the same time. I wonder why it's so much harder on the 2nd or 3rd replacement. Also why are you doing the head gasket ?

Regards

Martin
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 1st August 2009, 09:18 AM
Fossicker
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Deloraine Tasmania
Posts: 22
Thanks: 6
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by langy View Post
Apparently there is no mistaking the difference between 200 & 300 tdi bits - a picture will sort it out. As for the tensioner, it's a guess but it may be the boffins have gone the way of the 300tdi - the flanges are now on the crank pulley not the tensioner, which means you need a new one of them as well.

Can't answer the bit about no idler - could be anything from a rough modification with a different belt to the earlier 2.5 NA diesel.
That's just the problem, the only "how to" I can find for the 200tdi has a picture of a very different belt set up than mine. It did not have an idler and a centre line drawn between the cam and injector pump pulleys was on an angle, not horizontal like mine.

What is the go with the flanged crank pulley? Will I need one for a 200tdi (Thanks to everyone's help I'm pretty convinced that is what it is) or was that just a fix for the 300tdi and not necessary for mine? The old belt had done 92000km and was showing no signs of wear to spite there being a bit of oil in the housing. I am replacing the crank and cam oil seal too.
Cheers,
Ian.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 1st August 2009, 09:23 AM
Fossicker
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Deloraine Tasmania
Posts: 22
Thanks: 6
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinozcmax View Post
Hi Chief, let me know how you go please. I also have a 200 Tdi and mine is due a new timing belt in 30k or so at 500,000k's. I plan on replacing all the belts at the same time. I wonder why it's so much harder on the 2nd or 3rd replacement. Also why are you doing the head gasket ?

Regards

Martin
I think it would be because you have changed it twice already and it's pain in the arse to have to do anything more than twice.......except drive the thing!
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 2nd August 2009, 10:57 PM
c.h.i.e.f's Avatar
Wizard
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Cessnock NSW
Posts: 1,487
Thanks: 1,056
Thanked 199 Times in 149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinozcmax View Post
Hi Chief, let me know how you go please. I also have a 200 Tdi and mine is due a new timing belt in 30k or so at 500,000k's. I plan on replacing all the belts at the same time. I wonder why it's so much harder on the 2nd or 3rd replacement. Also why are you doing the head gasket ?

Regards

Martin
no problem ill post up all that i can and i dont know why its harder but thats what my mate told me and he also said that 200tdi's are renouned for blowing head gaskets so since i have a brand new one i mase as well do a full job and replace it while im there along with all the hoses and coolant etc etc on its bday
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to c.h.i.e.f For This Useful Post:
martinozcmax (3rd August 2009)
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 3rd August 2009, 08:24 AM
justinc's Avatar
Moderator
Vendor
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Kingston, Tassie, OZ.
Posts: 10,632
Thanks: 2,570
Thanked 4,637 Times in 3,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldo View Post
That's just the problem, the only "how to" I can find for the 200tdi has a picture of a very different belt set up than mine. It did not have an idler and a centre line drawn between the cam and injector pump pulleys was on an angle, not horizontal like mine.

What is the go with the flanged crank pulley? Will I need one for a 200tdi (Thanks to everyone's help I'm pretty convinced that is what it is) or was that just a fix for the 300tdi and not necessary for mine? The old belt had done 92000km and was showing no signs of wear to spite there being a bit of oil in the housing. I am replacing the crank and cam oil seal too.
Cheers,
Ian.
Ian,
That pic you found is for the Defender, which has a shorter timing belt and no idler due to space constraints the engine timing case is shaped that way.
No flanged pulley available for 200 Tdi as they don't have the alignment issues the 300 did.
Have you got a RAVE disc from Incisors online shop here? It'll have the instructions in it for sure.
JC
__________________
The Isuzu 110; where 'limp home mode' means you've stubbed your toe badly down in the shed while working on the landy, and you need to get to the house for a band aid and a cuppa ....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to justinc For This Useful Post:
dieseldo (3rd August 2009)
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Search AULRO.com ONLY!
Search All the Web!

All times are GMT +10. The time now is 10:25 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Live Threads provided by AJAX Threads v1.1.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Australian Land Rover Owners
Copyright 2001 - 2014, Dave Blears Computing - DavecandoIT and aulro.com