Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which Cordless drill to buy??

Total Downloaded
    I've had a very good run from a blue Bosch battery drill that is about 6 years old now. Blue is the professional range, green ones are domestic use.
    Regards,
    Tote

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigE View Post
    Metabo is the best I have used and owned.
    Milwaukee are good also and are not rebadged Makitas as some say. I like Makita but Milwaukee gear outperforms them by far. I also have a Milwaukee recip saw and they are faultless.
    Dewalt and Makita are also good.
    A lot depends on what you have to spend.
    Thats right,milwaukee isn't rebadged,they are a stand alone company.With cordless drills you get what you pay for,there is nothing worse than getting 3/4 of the way through a job and the battery dies.I buy Bosch because I have a 9'' grinder that got run over by a forklift and it still works,I had another that burnt out from abuse and was replaced for free no questions asked and you can get brush's and parts anywere and they are good.I will never buy Dewalt again after I bought a dud 5'' grinder that they would not fix or replace even though it never worked out of the box,I replaced it with a metabo 4'' that will not die,it is the best thing I have ever bought other than my Defender.Like I said money buys quality. Pat

Total Downloaded

Smile

I have own my Milwakee 14.4 volt drill for 11 years now and hasn't let me down yet but 1 of my battries is stuff now only because I droped it, left the drill outside one nite by mistake and it rained, it is still gping, I have used it when building my jetty for my boat and did a lot of hard work that weekend with no problems, they make bigger models now and I wouldn't hesatite to buy another Milwaukee and they were never part of Mikita as someone said also you can replace the brushes without pulling the drill apart but mine are still in good condistion, you won't be disappointed with a Milwaukee it you decide to go for one...

One very happy Milaukee owner

Ashley

Total Downloaded
    I have an AEG which has plenty of torque but I've been through 2 gearboxes -replaced under warranty. Its also heavy which would imply there's some strength in the gearbox.

Each time, the gearbox failed after using it to drive roofing screws into hardwood battens.

I'd be interested to know whether the other brands survive this type of use/abuse.

In addition to the previously posted list of must-haves, look for a quick release chuck- allows you to easily swap between driver bits and drill bits.

Total Downloaded
    I have a festo 12C. Came with the quick release chuck, a standard keyless chuck, eccentric chuck and right angle chuck.

Excellent bit of kit! Well balanced. Expensive though!

Total Downloaded
    It really depends on usage - if you're only going to use it a couple of times a year then get a cheaper unit. If you use it regularly, and intensely sometimes then look at getting a pro level unit - it will work out cheaper in the long run.

Most of my power tools are Metabo - they've had some fairly heavy use too and still going strong. I've had my Metabo cordless drill for 8 years and no issues except having to replace one battery.

Total Downloaded
    What ever you buy get Lithium.
    I wouldnt toch anything else.

For home use the Ryobi 1+ range only available from Bunnings is prety good.
    Heaps of tools in the range.

As someone said good bargains can be had on Fleabay from the US of A

cheers

caparra near wingham on the mid north coast nsw
    Total Downloaded

milwaukee,atlas,AEG

Quote Originally Posted by PAT303 View Post
    Thats right,milwaukee isn't rebadged,they are a stand alone company.With cordless drills you get what you pay for,there is nothing worse than getting 3/4 of the way through a job and the battery dies.I buy Bosch because I have a 9'' grinder that got run over by a forklift and it still works,I had another that burnt out from abuse and was replaced for free no questions asked and you can get brush's and parts anywere and they are good.I will never buy Dewalt again after I bought a dud 5'' grinder that they would not fix or replace even though it never worked out of the box,I replaced it with a metabo 4'' that will not die,it is the best thing I have ever bought other than my Defender.Like I said money buys quality. Pat
    Think you may find milwaukee is a rebadged AEG, also Atlas Copco is a rebadged AEG all these drills are the same. {delt with the sales rep who sold atlas copco} That said been running milwaukee cordless,router & planner for around five years, found them great.

Total Downloaded
    It would be an AEG or Hitachi for me.

I have never been all that impressed by Makita, but mainly due to the batteries.

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by ryaninhilltop View Post
    Think you may find milwaukee is a rebadged AEG, also Atlas Copco is a rebadged AEG all these drills are the same. {delt with the sales rep who sold atlas copco} That said been running milwaukee cordless,router & planner for around five years, found them great.
    Most of Atlas gear is rebadged and overpriced. Atlas Copco have a lot of gear bought form manufacturers with their name put on them. I have several Atlas air tools that are actually not made by them. Atlas (Swedish company) actually bought Milwaukee around 1995 and this is why the higher presence in Australia recently and why so many similar drills, but were bought from Atlas by Ryobi (Techtronic) in 2005. As per reference below AEG may be a copy of Milwaukee or vice versa. Contrary to belief Milwaukee are not American tools as most people think, but have always been Hong Kong / Chinese. My brother actually sells power tools. Milwaukee are actually a stand alone company and only manufacture a fairly small range of tools compared to some. Not for a minute saying they manufacture every component, practically no one does. There are quite a number of so called manufacturers that sub out specific manufacturing either totally or partially. I remember my brother saying something about US/Japanese/Chinese based companies sharing some manufacturing base, but can not recall who shared what. But even so, products made in the same factory for brand names are often made to their specs under licence, so even products that actually come out of the same factory are not equal.
    Milwaukee
    Head Quarters - Hong Kong
    Established - 1924
    Parent Company - Techtronic Industries Co also own Ryobi, AEG, DreBo, Homelite and Hoover
    Milwaukee Power Tool Company is a privately held company located in Hong Kong and is an industry leading manufacture of heavy duty tools used worldwide. Milwaukee was established in 1924 by A.F. Siebert with the hole shooter. The hole shooter was the first lightweight, portable one handed 1/4″ capacity drill. In 1949 the Milwaukee Power Tool Company created the unique right angle drill. In 1951 they created the famous Sawzall, one of my favorite tools of all time. In 1970 the Hole-Hawg was born. Milwaukee Tool Company currently sells tools all over the world to professionals through varies distribution channels, such as tool distributors, home centers, catalogs, specialty stores and web base retail stores.

Milwaukee Power Tool Company currently offers over 500 different power tools ranging from drills and sawzalls to rotary hammers and sanders. Any power tool you can think of, Milwaukee offers it, even a cordless caulking gun. Milwaukee offers over 3500 accessories that support their tools. They offer blades, drill bits, grinding wheels and more. Milwaukee currently offers one of the longest warranties, which on most items is five years.
    Milwaukee Tools is the pioneer to the V28 system. They have created the new 28 Volt cordless battery based on Li-Ion technology. This produces a more powerful, lighter and longer lasting battery
    Milwaukee tools was purchased in July 1995 by Atlas Copco of Sweden. Atlas continued the tradition of creating exceptional power tools. However, recently Techtronic Industries Co bought Milwaukee in January 2005. See Milwaukee Bought Out
    In 2005 Milwaukee introduced their new line of safety called Jobsite Armor. The new line includes gloves, eyewear, hearing protection and respiratory protection. In October they introduced a new 1/2″ hammer drill.
    Milwaukee Tool Company makes a variety of Milwaukee Power Tools and are known for their quality, but they are best known for the Sawzall.
    Ryobi
    Head Quarters - Hong Kong
    Established - 1943
    Parent Company - Techtronic Industries Co

Ryobi started out as a Japanese plastic die cast company back in the 40’s. Now Ryobi is owned by Techtronics, which is located in Hong Kong, China. They trade under the ticker symbol (TTNDY). Techtronics owns a lot of well known brand names such as Milwaukee tools, Homelite, Dirt Devil and Hoover, to name just a few. But since this site is about power tools, the only items on here that matter are Ryobi power tools.
    Ryobi’s current line of tools are great for the home owners, but you won’t see to many of these on the job site. Not that I’m knocking them, but they are more or less an economical home owner’s tool. I own a couple different Ryobi tools and I have to say they are surprisingly well built. The one thing I like most about these tools are their balance. When you pick up a Ryobi, they feel nice, they have a nice balance in your hand. Balance is very important because a good balanced power tool will cause less fatigue in your arm, therefore producing less accidents and less mess ups.
    In summary, if you are looking for an economical power tool, I would definitely look at Ryobi’s line of power tools. They will make the extreme homeowner very happy about their purchase. In fact, I have a buddy who is a hardcore power tool fan. He buys the combo kits for his house and loves them.
    DeWalt
    Head Quarters - Towson, Maryland
    Established - 1922
    Parent Company - Black and Decker
    Dewalt started in 1922 with the first invention being the radial arm. Raymond Dewalt was trying to save on labor cost, so he designed a yoke and attached a motor. The saw could be raised, lowered and slide back and forth, moved to any angle or tilted to any bevel. As a company Dewalt was already doing well, they got a really big boost when in 1941 they received a bunch of contracts from the United States government. In 1953 Dewalt expanded their operations into Canada making Dewalt the start of a global company.
    In 1992 Dewalt sold out to Black and Decker. Black and Decker decided on running Dewalt as a separate company. In 1992 Dewalt introduced their line of portable power tools. 1994 Dewalt introduced 30 new cordless tools. At the time they were the most powerful cordless tools on the market, 14.4 Volts.
    Currently Dewalt is still a power house for professional power tools. The Dewalt line consists of over 200 electric power tools and 800 accessories. They sell everything from a simple drill bit to a top notch sliding miter saw. Go to all most any jobsite and you will be guaranteed to see at least one Dewalt professional power tool.
    In September of 2005Dewalt introduced a new line of line of miter saws including a laser system. That same year they` announced their new 36 volt heavy duty product line that will come out in 2006.
    Dewalt Tool Company makes a variety of Dewalt Power Tools and are known for their quality, but they are best known for the Miter saw.
    Makita
    Head Quarters - Japan
    Established - 1915
    Parent Company - Makita
    Makita started as a power tool company back in 1910 when Makita Electric Works opened its doors and started repairing lighting equipment, motors and transformers. In 1958 Makita established itself as a power tool company when they started marketing the portable electric planner in Japan.
    Today Makita power tool company is a large manufacture with seven manufacturing facilities globally. Makita offers a product line of over 350 different power tools. All though most professional power tool companies use NiMH battery technology to some degree, Makita uses it as the primary source. NiMH batteries allow Makita to give itself a longer run time than the traditional NiCad. Over the years with this battery innovation, Makita power tool company has provided a name in the cordless industry.
    Makita jumped on board and came out with their new 18V lithium Ion, LXT Extreme in 2005.
    Makita Tool Company makes a variety of Makita Power Tools and are known for their quality, but they are best known for the cordless drill.
    Bosch/Metabo
    Head Quarters - Germany
    Established - 1886
    Parent Company - Bosch
    Bosch is a German company founded 1886 by Robert Bosch. Besides making power tools, Bosch has branches that deal with the automotive industry and other areas. Since this site is about professional power tools, this will be about the Bosch power tool division. In 1906 Bosch opened the first office outside Europe. He opened a sales office in New York. You can say that the first power tool Bosch developed was the electric hair clipper in 1928.
    Bosch is known for inventing the Jig Saw in 1946. Unfortunately they could never get the Jig Saw to sell, mainly because they were black listed by the allies for selling magnetos to the Germans during wartime. In 1964 when the Jig Saw name went back to Bosch, they effectively marketed the Jig Saw and now have sold over 20 million. In 1955, Bosch (Metabo) invented the first rotary hammer. In 1984 Bosch launched the first cordless rotary hammer.
    Currently the Bosch Tool division has over 4,000 employees and operates worldwide. Bosch has about 80 primary locations through out the United States.
    In 2005 Bosch came out with their new blue core battery that increases battery life by 50% and cuts charging time by 30 minutes.
    Bosch Tool Company makes a variety of Bosch Power Tools that are known for their quality, but they are best known for the Jig saw.
    Information from http://professional-power-tool-guide.com/manufacturers/
    2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
    2009 DRZ400E Suzuki
    1956 & 1961 P4 Rover (project)
    1976 SS Torana (project - all cash donations or parts accepted)
    2003 WK Holden Statesman
    Departed
    2000 Defender Extreme: Shrek (but only to son)
    84 RR (Gone) 97 Tdi Disco (Gone)
    98 Ducati 900SS Gone & Missed

Facta Non Verba

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast