Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mounting position for Tekonsha in a D2

Total Downloaded

Mounting position for Tekonsha in a D2

Hi all

Just purchased a Tekonsha Primus IQ Brake Controller for my D2 and Jayco Finch.

Can you please tell me a good location (easy on the install) other than the coin drawer .... doesn't fit there.

I'm thinking that the only easy place is at my right knee?

Thanks

Craig

Total Downloaded
    Hi Craig,

I have seen them double sided taped to the dash between the instrument cluster narcel and the "A" pillar/drivers door. It probably be better to screw it there but that will depend on the mounts provided with the brake controller, as space to access the mounts with tools is limited.

I plan to put mine in that same spot. It looks as if the previous owner of the my D2 had done the same as there are tape marks on the dash in that position.

All the best and keep us all informed on where you eventually put the controller, with pictures please.

Regards
    Tony

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitower View Post
    I have seen them double sided taped to the dash between the instrument cluster narcel and the "A" pillar/drivers door. It probably be better to screw it there but that will depend on the mounts provided with the brake controller, as space to access the mounts with tools is limited.

All the best and keep us all informed on where you eventually put the controller, with pictures please.

Regards
    Tony
    Thanks Tony

Yep, thought of the dbl sided tape method .... thought maybe velcro tape would be better. However, Tekonsha state that you should mount it "securely to a solid surface". It's a pretty snug fit in that position anyway.
    Had another thought of jamming it into the map pocket above my head .... but that would be a bugger to wire up.

Cheers
    Craig

Total Downloaded
    I've got mine at the left knee, screwed to the drop down panel. Try to mount it as horizontal as possible.

Total Downloaded
    Can someone tell me what this connection is for?
    Is it a connection for the ECB?

and .... here's where I think it should sit with some velcro tape ....

Thoughts?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Total Downloaded
    Mine is on the left knee position when I bought it, I had the dealer swap the 1 that was in it for mine. Mine is the top of the line P3 and it was a cheep solid state.

My D2 is an auto, I think this postion would be a pain if it were a manual as my let would hit it most times I changed gears, I am fairly tall however.

I am not familier with your paticular model but if it is an enercer activated unit it should be screwed down. If it is located with velcro or double sided tape it has the potenal to move when braking thus reducing the effectivness of the trailer braking.

If it is a solid state it shouldn't matter.

I can't help with the wiring as it was done for me.

If I get it back from the mechanic (3 amigos under waranty) I will take a pic and have a look at were it is wired.

Total Downloaded
    Here are the pics as promised

I don't know how to do that fancy photos in the post thing.

I had a look at the install and it does not attach to the plug as asked. It is wired in a lot of places that look easy to work with room wise the drop down cover.

This made me realise that my unit is loose and hangs down. As I tried to depict on the picture it sits fairly level.

Total Downloaded
    Disco Emu,

I have just the standard Prodigy, but I found that the best place to mount it is underneath the coin tray. I screwed the receiver pocket onto the underside of the tray, with sufficient loom to allow the tray to open, so I can still use the tray and get the controller right where it falls easily to hand, which is where you need it in an emergency.

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco EMU View Post
    Can someone tell me what this connection is for?
    Is it a connection for the ECB?

and .... here's where I think it should sit with some velcro tape ....

Thoughts?

Thanks
    Sorry, no idea about the plug.

In my D1 I mounted mine with velcro in the same place as that because: a, it was out of the way, & b, if needed I could activate it manually without taking my hand off the wheel or eyes off the road.

It's now in the same place in the Defender
    '51 Series 1 80"
    '12 Defender 90

Total Downloaded
    Here's the Tekonsha Primus IQ installed in my Disco.

I wanted it close to the steering wheel so I could have fast access if needed. Couple of strips of velcro tape and it's lodged in the pretty snug .... 99% sure it won't move in a hurry. I had the boys at Traction4 Artarmon install it for me and I reckon they've done a pretty neat job. $225 for installation and $106 for the Tekonsha.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast