Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ID my firewall please?

Total Downloaded

ID my firewall please?

Hi All,

I was just looking through some pics to upload for my gallery - I forgot that I had taken this one with the intent of posting so someone can help me out.

I'm wondering if this is the standard 6cyl firewall? Its in my SIIA 88 so by rights is not original (apparently there were no 6cyl 88s) - it certainly looks like it belongs to this car though so I'm not sure what the story is. I know that this car has been given a rebuild at some point in its life (probably when it got the 186) because the paint in the cabin is like brand-new and its just too good underneath (chassis etc...) to be original! Unfortunately I dont have the history and the PO had no idea either.

The reason I need help is that I have a shin-burner heater that I bought about 2 years ago - but I'm buggered if it will fit in between the firewall and the gear stick. I've seen 6cyl with this heater before, so it should fit. I'm thinking that the 6cyl gearbox may sit further back, making more room - anyone know if this is right?

My plan is to get the gear stick bent to allow room for the heater - not the most elegant solution but the easiest/cheapest. Its a shame that the firewall is in excellent condition, otherwise I could justify replacing it with a 4cyl one! Interestingly, I have the same problem when trying to fit a hand-throttle - there is not enough clearance between the firewall and the edge of the dash to fit the hand-throttle assembly.

Someone shed some light on this for me?

Cheers,

Adam

Total Downloaded
    Looking at the only image you have provided I can absolutely confirm that it is a GREEN ONE other than that I can only suggest that it may be a 6 cyl type.

A side profile image will confirm it.

With the Holden conversion. Has the radiator been moved forward and the front chassis cross-member been cut to clear the bottom of the radiator?

If NO, then your gearbox may have been moved back to the 6 cyl position, in which case you will have a 6 cyl firewall.

Diana

Total Downloaded
    Hi Diana,

there hasn't been any cutting or moving of stuff in the conversion - it looks like it rolled out of the factory with the holden donk. I guess that means it is a 6cyl firewall (yep, and green!) - I still dont understand why the heater doesn't fit though - I've definitely seen pics of 6cyl landies with the same heater...

Cheers,

Adam

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by akelly View Post
    <snip> ...
    I still dont understand why the heater doesn't fit though - I've definitely seen pics of 6cyl landies with the same heater...

Cheers,
    Adam
    Adam

Are you talking about the long flat type of heater that fits across the front of the dash panel below the instrument panel?

If that's the one you mean there are at least 3 types. The type on the lightweight and two models for the Series IIa. A 4 cyl type and a 6 cyl type.

The difference between the 4 and 6 cyl types are that the holes for the pipes are on opposite sides to each other.

Diana

Total Downloaded

Some pics of mine

Some pics of mine, 1968 109 2A 6cyl with a holden 179. Has a temporary 4cyl gear stick (bent rather than straight) as the original snapped off a few weeks ago, but still had plenty of room near heater.
    Sorry about the pics, they are right way up on my computer but seem to be wrong when uploaded.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Total Downloaded
    Diana,

yes, its the flat heater (same as the one in Sideroads pics). I know there are different versions with the pipe locations changed, but thats not my issue - the issue is the depth of the heater is greater than the space between the gearstick and the firewall, that includes when the pipes are fed through and the heater is sitting flush with the firewall.

My firewall does not have the same amount of clearance from the gearstick as the pics that Sideroad has posted. I have no idea why!

This may remain a mystery for the ages... but damn it, I will get that heater to fit somehow (gearstick heating and bending will do the trick I think).

Cheers,

Adam

Total Downloaded
    What is the distance from the front of your pulley to the front cross member? I can check mine to see if the engines are in the same location and start to work our way backwards to see how the conversion was done. (mine is 166mm) I suspect your engine/trans is mounted further forward then a standard six, maybe still in the original 4cyl location?
    I have 253mm from top of seat base to vertical face of fire wall hump(part below my heater)

Total Downloaded
    Hi Sideroad,

good idea, but I'm laid up with a busted leg at the moment - cant really get out and do much measuring! After reading Diana's post, I think they must have put the 6cyl firewall in when the 186 was fitted - as I say, it looks like it belongs there, not like some others I've seen. I assume that because the firewall is different, but the gearbox is in the same location, that this is why the clearance is less - just my theory... My firewall is definitely different to yours, which looks more like the other pics of 6cyl firewalls I have seen - mine seems to be a bastard child!

Once I can get up and about I will check a few measurements, take a few more pics and put them up - maybe someone can give me a better idea about how to fit the heater...

cheers,

Adam

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by akelly View Post
    Diana,

yes, its the flat heater (same as the one in Sideroads pics). I know there are different versions with the pipe locations changed, but thats not my issue - the issue is the depth of the heater is greater than the space between the gearstick and the firewall, that includes when the pipes are fed through and the heater is sitting flush with the firewall.
    <snip>
    Adam

There was a Smiths heater which looked like one of the flat ones on steroids with the end vents coming out at an angle, I had one years ago, there was no way it would have ever fitted on a 6 cyl firewall.

Some people suggested it was for the forward control, but I think it was more likely something out of a British truck of some type.

Total Downloaded
    Nah, this heater came out of a 4cyl landy - the PO sent me a pic before I bought it (the heater). I'd like to see the bigger one though - I've had a few crazy ideas about putting a heater in the back...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast