Thread: Can you run a winch without the Solenoid pack (for testing)?

Total Downloaded

Can you run a winch without the Solenoid pack (for testing)?

Is it possible to run a winch without the solenoid pack so I can rotate it one way or the other?

I have the solenoid pack in pieces, and from tracking with a voltmeter, the 12v either goes to a blue or a red wire. These wires come from the left and right solenoids. Corresponding to fwd/rev - makes sense.

There is a common wire (yellow band) that does not seem to carry any current when switching fwd/rev, well not that I can see on my voltmeter.

If I connect a battery direct to the winch (-ve to the winch earth), I expected that I'd get it to move in/out by touching the red/blue terminals with the +ve wire, but I get nothing.

What does the yellow wire do, and why is it required to make the winch go?

BTW - it is a Premier winch, and before I pulled the solenoid pack apart, it all worked OK via the solenoid pack.

Thanks
    David

Total Downloaded
    I'd be guessing it's the neg -
    03 Disco 2a, TD5, Olso blue, 7 seater, Auto, Chipped, EGR'd, 2"lift, SLS, Dual Batteries, Provent, TM-2 engine saver

Total Downloaded
    umm, just re read what you wrote.
    think I may have jumped in to quick.

No idea, could be a neg tho

what was it connected to?
    03 Disco 2a, TD5, Olso blue, 7 seater, Auto, Chipped, EGR'd, 2"lift, SLS, Dual Batteries, Provent, TM-2 engine saver

Total Downloaded
    I tried jumpering the earth and the yellow terminal together, but no go. That was all I could think of too.

It is a bit like this, but my yellow (from the solenoid pack) is their red and vice versa:

There is a separate earth cable (black) that seems unrelated to the yellow wire.

Total Downloaded
    Looking at the wiring diagrams, I would say that 'A' needs to be 12v continously, and that 'F1' and 'F2' are forward and back

Obviously you need an earth set too.

Total Downloaded
    OK - I haven't tried that combination yet - I was putting +ve to F1 and F2 while the body of the winch was earthed. Then I tried earthing out 'A' at the same time, but nothing.

My brain was only thinking that 'A' would be an earth, if F1 and F2 were positive.

I'll give that a go and see if I get any sparks!!

Total Downloaded
    My best guess: A = armature, F1 = field 1, F2 = field 2. If a motor isn't permanent magnet you have to energise the armature with 12v as well as the field, in your case 2 field coils for 2 directions?

Total Downloaded
    Put the winch in freespool.

Disconnect the positive lead from the battery (leave the ground lead attached).

Label and disconnect the three cables that run from the control pack to the three terminals on the motor.

Stamped next to the three posts on the motor will be "A", "F1" and "F2". Run a small jumper wire from "A" to "F1" and put power from the battery (jumper leads are handy to use) to "F2". The winch motor should run in one direction when power is applied to the “F2” terminal.

Next swap the jumper wire from "A" to "F2" and put power from the battery to terminal "F1". The winch motor should run in the opposite direction when power is applied to the “F1” terminal.

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by McDisco View Post
    Put the winch in freespool.

Disconnect the positive lead from the battery (leave the ground lead attached).

Label and disconnect the three cables that run from the control pack to the three terminals on the motor.

Stamped next to the three posts on the motor will be "A", "F1" and "F2". Run a small jumper wire from "A" to "F1" and put power from the battery (jumper leads are handy to use) to "F2". The winch motor should run in one direction when power is applied to the “F2” terminal.

Next swap the jumper wire from "A" to "F2" and put power from the battery to terminal "F1". The winch motor should run in the opposite direction when power is applied to the “F1” terminal.

Of course, this just reverses the single field winding and puts it in series with the armature. Makes sense!