Thread: D1 front 50mm receiver

Total Downloaded

D1 front 50mm receiver

Does anyone know where I can get a 50mm/2" receiver mounting for the front of a D1? This is to take one of those portable winch cradles that you can fit to the front or the rear of your vehicle as and when the need arises.

Cheers

Gromit

Total Downloaded
    You make one by going to your local trailer maker/towbar fitter and asking to buy an old stock bar for something unpopular and cheap. Most straight ute bars will be suitable.

You then cut off the flange from one end and reweld at the correct length between chassis rails.

I ended up with a Delta Truck bar for $100, cut the flange off one end, tacked it myself then had it professionally welded for 20 bucks by the trailer place.

Positioned it how I wanted , then drilled holes for the bumper bolts, bought longer high tensile bumper bolts in the biggest size that fits through the holes. Mine is about 2 1/2 inch so is beefy and has a 50MM receiver.
    I suggest that you fit it after you get a winch as you have to make sure you clear the bumper/bullbar. I have mine angled up as much as possible so that the winch will be easier to fit when in mud .

Regards Philip A

Total Downloaded
    PhillipA
    You are absolutely right. The more I look at this, there are so many variables in the type of accessories fitted to the chassis front that it would be impossible to make a rigid structure to suit all possibilities. I have found one but suspect it wouldn't fit over my brushbar brackets. Making a bolt up assembly would be too flexible. I like the idea but it won't be a quick option. I particularly like the idea of the QD winch not reducing your normal ramp angle but being able to winch forwards or backwards (providing you put a power socket at the back too).

Cheers

Gromit

Total Downloaded
    I particularly like the idea of the QD winch not reducing your normal ramp angle but being able to winch forwards or backwards (providing you put a power socket at the back too).
    Yes that is what I have.
    there is of course a deterrent value with having a winch in that you scare all obstacles into submission.
    I have an old Warn 5000Lb boxed winch that I bought from the USA while in Thailand in 1988 and I bought the accessory long lead for the rear with Anderson plug then.

I have only really used it once in anger to pull someone out of a ditch.

On my recent Cape York trip , I never got to set it up, as the one time I needed winching there was a group waiting to cross the creek the other way and one of them had a 9000Lb winch which pulled me and my trailer up the hill.
    Proved that my recovery hook was strong too. It is mounted by the bumper bolts also and braced onto the flange of the front towbar. It is for use in adding a point from a snatch block because my winch is small.

I cannot really show you any photos except of the outside as it is hidden by my home made skid plate and the RRC spoiler at the front.
    Regards Philip A

Total Downloaded
    Just a thought. when In Thailand I had a Nissan Patrol with an alloy bullbar.

I didn't have a winch cradle in the bar , but I made up a flat plate which attached to the chassis rail and had a bit of square steel stock welded on that went inside a 50MM receiver. The plate was 5/16, and this was plenty strong.

In Australia you can get the correct receiver square hollow tube, so you could have it professionally welded on.
    This would give you a mount on one of the chassis rails.

If you are worried about the drag on only one rail, which I do not think is a problem on Land rovers, you can then put a hook on the other side and do a snatch block pull . This will equalise the load. Not pretty but pretty effective.

Regards Philip A

Total Downloaded
    Be careful what you put on the front if you have an airbag. Insurance companies will void the insurance if you don't have an airbag compatible winch bag, bulbar etc. I wanted to put a 50mm receiver on the front of my D1 to assist in backing a trailer down a steep angled driveway, i decided against it in the end due to the possible insurance complications. Best to give your insurer a call beforehand in any case and ask them if the mod is ok.
    Cheers
    Mark