Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Australian Ambulances in Korea War

Total Downloaded
    Hi Lionel. Its an 80 inch built from ,48 to ,53. Others may know if we used them or not.
    Keith

Lionelgee is online now YarnMaster Silver Subscriber
    Total Downloaded
    Hello 123 Rover 50 & All.

I found the photograph of the US jeeps used in Vietnam during 1969. These Jeep Ambos seem more advanced than the converted jeeps used in Korea. Well from the photogaphs I found anyway so far anyway.

The Jeep in the photograph does look a bit similar in the back to the Land Rover shown in 123 Rover 50's posting.

Photograph accessed Thursday 18th October 2012 from, P05707.001 | Australian War Memorial

Kind Regards
    Lionel
    Attached Images Attached Images

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by zulu Delta 534 View Post
    Australia only sent troops to Korea and as far as I am aware we sent no vehicles or support equipment whatsoever. 128 Tpt Pl was formed in country as the need arose to facilitate resupply, but used American equipment (Jeeps and GMC CCKWs). Even in the later conflict in Malaya we sent troops only and used other peoples equipment. Vietnam was really the litmus test of Australian equipment going overseas.
    The modern army that we know of today, fully self contained, with its own fleet of vehicles and equipment only really began developing around 1948 when the old Battalion system was changed to the current RAR system. (There is some interesting reading available on the subject, as prior to 1948, our constitution of 1901 deemed that our Defence Force was just that, a force formed for our defence only.) Hence, when the two big wars came up we hurriedly formed the "Australian Imperial Force" - a branch of the British Army and, on paper at least, separate from our Defence Force,- to allow the deployment of troops overseas.
    So Lionel, to answer your original question, we would have used whatever was available and these vehicles possibly would have come from the UN Motor pool that would have been supplied by the two major forces of either the US or Britain.
    Regards
    Glen
    Hello Glen,

Thank you very much for filling in the gaps in the ambulance picture in Korea. I know there was only a small span of years between WW-II, Korea, and Vietnam. However, with my only recent interest in military vehicles the vehicles used in WW-II and Vietnam are the ones that come to mind the first.

Apart from growing up watching episodes of M*A*S*H as a kid and seeing on the introduction of each episode... what I now know were the Dodge WC 54 3/4 ton 4WD ambulances... I did not know what ambulances were used by the Australian military in Korea. So I thought I would ask on AULRO and check out the AWM Collection.

Kind Regards
    Lionel

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by 123rover50 View Post
    Hi Lionel. Its an 80 inch built from ,48 to ,53. Others may know if we used them or not.
    Keith
    Hello Keith,

To the possible horror of all the early Land Rover people I will ask a question - were the 80 inch Land Rovers 48-53 a "Series" Land Rover and if so were they the Series 1 or were they before the term "Series" was used?

I am trying to limit myself mostly to Series III Land Rovers - with the exception of a 2A Ambulance that is! One day, the time and the money plus the opportunity will all align together.

Anyway, I have to get a Series III registered and on the road as my first Land Rover priority.

Kind Regards
    Lionel

Total Downloaded
    Morning Lionel.
    They were before series but when the series 2 came out they became series 1 by default.

Keith

Total Downloaded
    Just like your eldest child was not your eldest child until the younger one came along!!
    Regards
    Glen

1962 P5 3 Ltr Coupe (Gwennie)
    1963 2a gunbuggy 112-722 (Onslow) ex 6 RAR
    1964 2a 88" SWB 113 251 (Daisy) ex JTC

REMLR 226

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by zulu Delta 534 View Post
    Just like your eldest child was not your eldest child until the younger one came along!!
    Regards
    Glen
    Hello Glen,

So just like my middle child was not my middle child until number 3 child came along

Kind Regards
    Lionel

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12