Thread: D3 faulty fuel gauge

Total Downloaded

Angry D3 faulty fuel gauge

Hi there, I'm travelling through Queensland on my trip around Australia (I left Melbourne 7 weeks ago). My problem is my fuel gauge has stopped working and showing empty all the time. Any tips on what I could check to fix or diagnose it? Before I have to pay a land rover specilist big bucks to fix it for me?

Cheers.

Total Downloaded
    can you see where the wires connect to the sendor at the tank?

if so i assume you have checked that a wire isn't loose?

other than that i am not much help......it would be a pain having to use the trip meter for the entire trip

NavyDiver is offline Very Very Lucky! Gold Subscriber
    Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaultandrew View Post
    Hi there, I'm travelling through Queensland on my trip around Australia (I left Melbourne 7 weeks ago). My problem is my fuel gauge has stopped working and showing empty all the time. Any tips on what I could check to fix or diagnose it? Before I have to pay a land rover specilist big bucks to fix it for me?

Cheers.
    Go to a auto sparky if you cannot find the loose wires yourself might be an idea.

Total Downloaded
    IIRC these were a common issue when new. Perhaps Sniegy will know.

Total Downloaded
    Hi, I can't even find the sender unit in the tank. Does anyone have an idea where it is?

Total Downloaded
    The sender units (there are 2) are located inside the tank.

There were a few issues on early vehicles & from memory if it is a petrol version there wad a recall.
    Get in touch with your local dealer, supply last 6 digits of your VIN & we/they can advise if you have an outstanding action against your vehicle.
    Otherwise you need to take resistive readings from the connector behind the r/h/f wheel arch as there is a big connector in there & these readings will tell which sender is faulty.
    Problem is if it is the rear sender in the tank, you can't replace it as you can't get to it & you will have to replace the tank..

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaultandrew View Post
    Hi, I can't even find the sender unit in the tank. Does anyone have an idea where it is?
    On top. You would need to drop the tank to get get to it I think. I just shoved my head under mine and cannot see. It didn't look to much to drop the fuel tank. Would be easier to do when empty which is a pain given your not at home.

SBD4 is offline A Keeper of the TGO Gold Subscriber
    Total Downloaded
    Cheers,

Sean

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.” - Albert Einstein

Total Downloaded

SBD4's links picture shows the location and why we cannot get to it with out removing the car or the tank

Total Downloaded
    Not certain but look at this link. It is not a Disco 3! I will edit after lifting my carpet to see it I have access to the sender unit as this link suggests. If so it look a fairly straight forward job.

How To Change the Fuel Tank Breather/Vent Hose - Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

In the RHS footwell of the 3rd row of seat there appears to be an access point. I did not rip all my carpets out of mine just lifted a corner. Fairly sure the link above will help with out removing your tank to access the sender. I would still get a sparky as you may be better off testing the wiring properly.