Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Discovery is ruining my fun.

Total Downloaded

My Discovery is ruining my fun.

Just got back from a week camping on Moreton Island. Drove all the tracks. Circumnavigated the Island twice including a run along the northern beach from Comboyuro Point to Yellow Patch where we were camped. Drove through a group of 40-50 middle aged nudists at Shark Spit. That’s right, through, not past, through. Once seen, some things can never be unseen. We had a great time the D3 performed flawlessly. But I discovered that others we’re having fun and excitement that I was missing out on.

It all started in the Blue Lagoon car park.

It was a motley crew in the car park that afternoon. An ageing troopy rented by some backpackers. An equally old defender and a 2008 D3. As we were packing to leave a vehicle emerged from around the corner and what a vehicle it was. The USS Ranger. Perfect gleaming paintwork. Gloss black bull bar. A pair of big LED spotlights. Extended wheel arches. Black alloy rims with oversized muddies. Piloting the impressive machine was none other than Captain James T. Kirk and at his side Lieutenant Uhura. Serenely observing the track, little did Kirk realise what was to befall him.
    “Kirk to the engine room. How are things down there Scotty?”
    “Everything is fine captain”
    An then they hit the car park.
    “Scotty. Something is wrong. We are losing speed. More power.”
    “Aye captain.”
    “It’s not working Scotty. More power.”
    “I don’t know if she can handle it captain”
    “We must. It’s our only chance”
    “Aye Captain.”
    But alas the majestic machine came to a halt in the middle of the car park.
    A panicked Kirk shouted “Scotty we have to get out of here! Full reverse! Give it everything you’ve got!”
    The beast roared, the wheels spun and sand flew everywhere.
    Slowly. Inch by tortuous inch the magnificent vehicle reversed towards the safety of the track. We held our breaths. Will they make it or will they fail? Finally they reached the sanctuary where they turned around and the USS Ranger disappeared from view off to explore the next wonder of the Isle of Moreton.

The point of the story is that they had so much fun and excitement in the carpark that they completely forgot the reason the where there in the first place. To see the Blue Lagoon. I want that sort of excitement where I forget about everything else. What do I get? Drive in. Park. Reverse. Leave. Where’s my fun? Where’s my excitement?
    My chance was just around the corner.

The next afternoon I drove the the North Point campground to get some water. I got chatting and lamented the fact that the storm we had on the first night had firmed the tracks and there were no real challenges.
    “Have you been on the Middle Road yet?”
    “No.” I said.
    “I did it this afternoon. It’s really soft and cut up. Some places I needed a couple of goes to get to the top.”
    Now this is what I’m looking for.
    So three days later I’m at the western entrance of the 7km Middle Road. Tyres down from my usual 16 psi to 14psi. I am tingling with anticipation and excitement. The fun is about to start. OK let’s do this.
    Bitter, bitter disappointment.
    Did I have to try anything twice? NO!
    Did I have to get a run-up? NO!
    Did I just walk up these horrendously scalloped slopes. YES!
    I kept thinking, “It will be just around the next corner” But it never was.
    I had reached the ocean. I had one hope left. Middle Road is actually two tracks. One from west to east. Which I had just done and the east west track. Now he never said which track he drove. It must have been the east west. That’s where I’ll find my fun.
    So I turned to my partner and asked if she minded if we went back again followed quickly with “we can stop near Tangalooma and you can Facebook”
    I got the reply I was after. So with renewed enthusiasm I set off only to be disappointed again.
    My vehicle had failed me again. It had turned potentially engine revving, wheel spinning, suspension breaking fun into a Sunday afternoon drive. Albeit a bumpy one.

But I have a plan.
    My new sand driving mantra is,
    DSC on.
    Special programs off.
    Tyre pressure 30 and beyond.
    I’m ready for my fun.
    BRING IT ON!!!
    MY08 TDV6 D3 Zermatt Silver, B.A.S ECU Remap, ARB Bar, 12K Kingone Winch, 2x100Ah LiFePo4 Auxiliary Power, Safari Snorkel, Baja Rack Roof Rack, Brown Davis Aux. Tank, RWC, Front Runner Rear Ladder, Drifta Drawers, Doran TPMS, LLAMS, GAP IID BT.

Total Downloaded
    Great place,we certainly had some fun last time we were there.A lot less crowded than Fraser,we usually go mid week,and not school holidays.

Got badly bogged at the Eastern entrance to the Middle road,just on dusk

No one came along,it was pitch black before we eventually got going,quite a few hours later.

Long handled shovel,lots of digging,tyres down from 18PSI,to 12 PSI,they were 17" in those days.

Driver error was some of the cause,DSC was left on,so it lost all power and sank in the middle of the real soft stuff

All fun and games.....
    Paul

D2,D2,D2a,D4,'09 Defender 110(sons), all moved on.

'56 S1,been in the family since...'56
    Comes out of hibernation every few months for a run

Total Downloaded
    Got bogged once. It was a beach exit I used multiple times per day. Rather than following the track marks in I had started driving across them then turning in with a squirt of power to get lined up. This time the squirt of power left me bogged. WTF?? Oh DSC is on. Luckily only took a couple of minutes with the shovel to get out.

Here’s a photo on the western beach. The boat in the distance is the nudist boat. We were still blissfully unaware of what was about to confront us.

Shared album - Sean Corley - Google Photos
    MY08 TDV6 D3 Zermatt Silver, B.A.S ECU Remap, ARB Bar, 12K Kingone Winch, 2x100Ah LiFePo4 Auxiliary Power, Safari Snorkel, Baja Rack Roof Rack, Brown Davis Aux. Tank, RWC, Front Runner Rear Ladder, Drifta Drawers, Doran TPMS, LLAMS, GAP IID BT.

Total Downloaded
    Sounds like fun, what size and type of tyre did you run?

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Russrobe View Post
    Sounds like fun, what size and type of tyre did you run?
    Cooper AT/3 265/65/R17

Total Downloaded

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
    Got bogged once. It was a beach exit I used multiple times per day. Rather than following the track marks in I had started driving across them then turning in with a squirt of power to get lined up. This time the squirt of power left me bogged. WTF?? Oh DSC is on. Luckily only took a couple of minutes with the shovel to get out.

Here’s a photo on the western beach. The boat in the distance is the nudist boat. We were still blissfully unaware of what was about to confront us.

Shared album - Sean Corley - Google Photos
    When I said I got bogged once. That was once on the trip. Not once ever.

Total Downloaded
    I know how you feel Sean - I got so bored putting around on Moreton Island a few months ago I decided to do possibly the most stupid thing in my life in any 4WD - you know - just to be "like the others" . Never again, but it got me one step closer to getting bogged for a change - all be it underwater.
    I know I know - get out and walk it first blah blah blah (but that's not the context of this post/thread )

IMG_2992.jpg
    A few Landies - current = 2009 D3 2.7 Auto with some rusty bits hanging off it.

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by matti4556 View Post
    I know how you feel Sean - I got so bored putting around on Moreton Island a few months ago I decided to do possibly the most stupid thing in my life in any 4WD - you know - just to be "like the others" . Never again, but it got me one step closer to getting bogged for a change - all be it underwater.
    I know I know - get out and walk it first blah blah blah (but that's not the context of this post/thread )

IMG_2992.jpg
    Bloody hell. Did it stop?
    L322 tdv8 poverty pack - wow
    Perentie 110 wagon ARN 49-107 (probably selling) turbo, p/steer, RFSV front axle/trutrack, HF, gullwing windows, double jerrys etc.
    Perentie 110 wagon ARN 48-699 another project
    Track Trailer ARN 200-117
    REMLR # 137

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by rar110 View Post
    Bloody hell. Did it stop?

Salt water,or fresh?

Where on the island was that?

Edit--- up Yellowpatch way?
    Paul

D2,D2,D2a,D4,'09 Defender 110(sons), all moved on.

'56 S1,been in the family since...'56
    Comes out of hibernation every few months for a run

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by matti4556 View Post

IMG_2992.jpg
    OMG....so did you make

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast