Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Defender an immediate success

Total Downloaded

New Defender an immediate success

I own 2 defenders, I love them.

They do many things well, if not perfectly.

They are the leading cause of spine cancer in the world, they cause uncontrolled interest anywhere they are parked.

They look great straight, and fantastic bashed up

They are the greatest conversation starter known to exist in the motoring world.
    The oil leaks from them have singlehandedly stopped most of Africa blowing away as dust storms.

They are surprisingly capable, even as a stock vehicle. Their predecessors have gone down in history with the willys Jeep as a truly unique take on motoring at the time.

But none of these things comes even remotely close to their greatest claim to fame:

They are and have always been the MOST DIVISIVE vehicle ever invented.

This is what concerned me,- that land Rover would not be able to re-create the angst.

How wrong can a person be.

Without even being released the battle lines have been drawn.

You either love it, or can't understand why Land Rover would sell their souls, and release this piece of plastic junk, people are thrilled and excited, or disillusioned and shopping for bicycles and horses.

There is NO middle ground, the defender IS the anchovy of the motoring industry.

Why do we need SRS? Can you hose it out?
    Any live axle option? Why has it got a vanity mirror? Can any models lay the windscreen flat?
    Anything bigger than 16" rims can't go off-road.
    All reasonable points to some, but illogical to others.

If you like it and can afford it, great, buy one.

If not, I guess you could ignore its release, or buy something else....?

But no, this kind of passive behavior cannot be used with the old Defender , or as it turns out the new one.

Hence I claim it to be an INSTANT success, a worthy replacement to the original, irrespective of whether it's any good or not.

Land Rover have taken their time, and have re kindled the glee and disgust associated with Defender's....perfectly, maybe even better than before.

Love it or hate it, it is here...

And it's an immediate success.

BRAVO DEFENDER!

SBD4 is offline A Keeper of the TGO Gold Subscriber
    Total Downloaded
    Well said!
    Cheers,

Sean

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.” - Albert Einstein

Total Downloaded
    I'd be really interested to know if there's even a single characteristic that everyone agrees that it must have.

Everyone has a different and unique relationship with their car, even (and probably especially) Defender owners. Many want to experience that same love again.

In some people's eyes this vehicle will be the young inexperienced offspring, in other minds it will be the heir to the throne. In some minds it will be nothing more than a tribute.

Whatever it is, it will be different, and I believe that's a good thing, not because the old one was bad, but because change can be fun, and exciting.

Sydney's gritty inner west (2204) and verdant Mount Wilson
    Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by harryharrison View Post
    I'd be really interested to know if there's even a single characteristic that everyone agrees that it must have.

Everyone has a different and unique relationship with their car, even (and probably especially) Defender owners. Many want to experience that same love again.

In some people's eyes this vehicle will be the young inexperienced offspring, in other minds it will be the heir to the throne. In some minds it will be nothing more than a tribute.

Whatever it is, it will be different, and I believe that's a good thing, not because the old one was bad, but because change can be fun, and exciting.
    For a start it should be a larger version of Suzuki's latest Jimni which is a smaller version of Land Rover's last Defender.
    Mahn England

DEFENDER 110 D300 SE '23 (the S M E G)

DEFENDER 110 wagon '08 (the Kelvinator)
    http://www.aulro.com/afvb/members-ri...elvinator.html

Ex 300Tdi Disco:

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by one_iota View Post
    For a start it should be a larger version of Suzuki's latest Jimni which is a smaller version of Land Rover's last Defender.
    This is EXACTLY the kind of logic we need to approach the situation with.

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by shack View Post
    This is EXACTLY the kind of logic we need to approach the situation with.
    Those of us who have been here long enough have come to realise that the best Defender as advised by the commentariat is the version they own that is just prior to the version that you bought!
    Mahn England

Ex 300Tdi Disco:

DiscoMick Guest
    Yes, but I still don't know if I can get 12 bags of goat poo in the back of a 110, as I can in mine. When will this vital question be answered?

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoMick View Post
    Yes, but I still don't know if I can get 12 bags of goat poo in the back of a 110, as I can in mine. When will this vital question be answered?
    Of course you can, but you will need to wait for the goat poo compression accessory,

I have a source in the industry, someone apparently tried the sheep poo compression accessory instead. Of course I don't need to explain to you how that went...

And it was a left hand drive accessory, but he was in a rhd 110...typical rookie mistake, just a bad joke from start to finish.

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoMick View Post
    This where the French got it right and the English lost it...I'm not talking the Battle of Agincourt here.

I'm talking about the 2cv Citroen and the Renault. You could put the hog in the back and off to market you could go and then to church in your Sunday best.
    Mahn England

Ex 300Tdi Disco:

Total Downloaded
    If shutting the door takes a couple of goes, I could be won over

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast