Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rovacom lite

Total Downloaded

rovacom lite

Have a disco 2, v8, 1999

Considering a rovacom lite

Want to know if others have bought, r they realy worth it

Id somebody has one, what are the kinds of things you do with it??

Should i just buy a OBD reader instead??

thanks

P38ace Guest
    I've not owned the Lite version but did have full Rovacom. It cost a fortune, was unreliable and the attitude of the manufacturer was attrocious, blaming any issue on vehicle faults! I've never had an electrical problem with my own P38 so I can definitively rule that out.

If I was buying again I'd go for the Superscan II which from what I've read can be obtained for not a lot of $$$ more than a set of Lite modules for a single vehicle, yet it covers a much wider model range.

This article should answer your question in detail.

http://www.robisonservice.com/articles/superscan.pdf

http://www.decautomotive.com.ar/english/info_super.asp

Total Downloaded
    From my experience, the two broader categories of Rovacom buyers/owners are:

a) Isolated location, far from dealers, want to be prepared - usually purchase every module to suit their vehicle in case something happens.

b) Encountered a specific problem, resent spending/wasting money at the dealers, want to DIY.

Then there is c) a combination of a) & b) mixed in with every possible emotion associated with owning a Land Rover.

For a 1999 V8 DII, the ECU prone to issues would be the SLABS - controls ETC, HDC, ABS and SLS if fitted.
    A cheap code reader would not be worth squat in this application.

The RCL module for Bosch V8 is handy for tuning/servicing.
    While a cheap code reader could work here, you would only get codes not specific explanations, nor be able to make inputs.

This is a printout of what my Bosch 4.0 V8 was up to...

The BCM module controls alarms and bodily functions - more fun to muck around than anything really - unless there is a specific problem.

Rovacom Lite is cheaper than any other fully capable diagnostic system but still represents a substantial investment. Expandability/transferability are nice features but nothing beats the reassuring comfort knowing you've got Rovacom 'on board' or as some have quipped: "Rovacom - Don't leave home without it"

Just my 2.2 cents worth, incl GST.

Hardy

Total Downloaded
    I have recently bought the Rovacom lite for use on my TD5 Defender & Disco. The Defender had a few issues that would have cost me a small fortune if I had to keep taking her to the dealers to diagnose. As a owner user it has done what I wanted, but it does have regular moments when the comms between the pc & ECU fail. This also seems to be a common complaint on the Rovacom web forum.
    The Rovacom also allows you to reprogram / remap the TD5 ECU (if the ECU is a reprogramable type). It does not allow you to modify or create map's.
    Rovacom lite is not cheap but there is not alot of choice for the home user, but in my case it has already paid for itself.

I had not heard of the Superscan II so cannot comment, not sure if it can remap ECU's or how the price compares to Rovacom.

Rob

Total Downloaded
    http://www.mavericktechnology.co.uk/....co.uk/dec.htm

lists what superscanII will do,,,
    "How long since you've visited The Good Oil?"

'93 V8 Rossi
    '97 to '07. sold.
    '01 V8 D2
    '06 to 10. written off.
    '03 4.6 V8 HSE D2a with Tornado ECM
    '10 to '21
    '16.5 RRS SDV8
    '21 to Infinity and Beyond!

1988 Isuzu Bus. V10 15L NA Diesel
    Home is where you park it..

[IMG][/IMG]

P38ace Guest
    It's a while since I searched for a best price but Rovers North currently list it at $2499 USD.

To the best of my knowledge that price buys a system which covers the entire Land Rover model range except the very latest models D3 and Freelander 2. Add on packages are available for other manufacturers.

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/pc-...ic-system.aspx

dmdigital is offline OldBushie Vendor

Gold Subscriber
    Total Downloaded
    When I looked at getting software the only really affordable option was Rovacomlite. In the end I did get it in a hurry as I needed it to get my Disco going. I do recall looking at the other options but none were as cost effective. The issue now with RCL is that the new D3, RR, RRS, FL2 and 07 Defender versions will really only be available as a complete package. The blackbox web site has thm at GBP1350 for the D3 and GBP350 for the 07 Defender. This is aparently because the systems are to interconnected to make splitting them up an option.

Over all I'm very happy with RCL. It is also the system a lot of small workshops are using very effectively. My main issue with SuperscanII is that I've never really seen many references to anyone using it.

Other than that I'd go along with what the others have said.
    MY15 Discovery 4 SE SDV6

Past: 97 D1 Tdi, 03 D2a Td5, 08 Kimberley Kamper, 08 Defender 110 TDCi, 99 Defender 110 300Tdi[/SIZE]

Total Downloaded
    Yeah, now the problem for D3 owner's like me is that Blackbox are only releasing the modules for Rovacom Pro and not Rovacom Lite. So it becomes an expensive exercise.

Total Downloaded
    Hi Jamo, I’ve been kicking around the idea of getting something like this for playing around with the programming in the D3.

Have you had any experience with or know of any relevant details about this gear, particularly the cost.

Cheers.

dmdigital is offline OldBushie Vendor

Gold Subscriber
    Total Downloaded
    Hi Tim,
    The D3 software from Blackbox is being sold as a single unit for all ECU variations. I'm hoping that once they get the release of the software out of the way they do look at more modular pricing for RCL users. I for one am very interested as it means there's a path forward from my D2 that's not a Toyota or a Nissan.

The web price for the software (you also need the hardware) is GBP1350. Given the amount of systems it has to work with a modular price may not be any less.

This is the info page: http://www.blackbox-solutions.com/shop/help/SM129.html
    MY15 Discovery 4 SE SDV6

Past: 97 D1 Tdi, 03 D2a Td5, 08 Kimberley Kamper, 08 Defender 110 TDCi, 99 Defender 110 300Tdi[/SIZE]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast