Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to stick the winch control box?

dmdigital is offline OldBushie Vendor

Gold Subscriber
    Total Downloaded

Where to stick the winch control box?

Well the Puma now has the bar fitted, the Warn XDC is mounted, the front's dropped 1cm (new springs on the way)... now all that is left is:
    Change the bulbs to lower wattage to stop the trailer flasher working
    Mount and wire up the 240HID's
    And...

Work out where to mount the winch control box

The ARB bar came with the usual tab to mount the control box. Which conveniently doesn't fit the XDC control box. The winch came with a nice solid mount, that would be perfect if the winch was mounted feet downwards.

I only need access to the control box in worst case as I have also bought the wireless remote. I've been toying with down the passenger's side guard or just making a bracket for the front above the winch in the normal way. Any suggests are welcome - pictures would help
    MY15 Discovery 4 SE SDV6

Past: 97 D1 Tdi, 03 D2a Td5, 08 Kimberley Kamper, 08 Defender 110 TDCi, 99 Defender 110 300Tdi[/SIZE]

Total Downloaded
    On my TD5 I mounted the control box inside the drivers side wing underneath the black fake vent cover. It is up out of the dirt and filth and is still easy to access should you need to. Mounting on top of the winch is easy and cheap but it is not the best place for the electrical gear. I found that it also blocks the view of the winch drum and makes it easier to get unwanted birdsnests.

Foz

mcrover Guest
    Ive mounted mine flat to the top of the bar to the drivers side, just next to the drum veiw slot.

The controler plugs in on the passenger side of the box and I think it works well enough.

Mines a Mile Marker though not a Warn and the box is just that a square box with 2 bolts coming out the bottom.

I am thinking of moving it to under the bonnet and mounting a switch in the cab and just a plug on the bar or out the grill.

I have been having a little trouble with the solonoids of late as the box got filled up with mud on one of the trips.

The connections havnt liked it.

Gold Subscriber
    Total Downloaded
    The ARB is very open at the top, good for getting to the drum, bad for mounting anything above the winch. However this gives me some options I hadn't considered.

The XDC control box is all solid state so hopefully more weather proof than the old solenoid ones.

Under the bonnet of the Puma...I know there are gaps there where it would fit, but getting to them is the hard bit
    MY15 Discovery 4 SE SDV6

Past: 97 D1 Tdi, 03 D2a Td5, 08 Kimberley Kamper, 08 Defender 110 TDCi, 99 Defender 110 300Tdi[/SIZE]

Total Downloaded
    My last fender the control box was on the top of the RHF guard under the black cover. then no one can accidently activate your winch and turn your fender inside out......

Total Downloaded
    Put an isolation switch on the earth line and put the key in the cubby box. Pat

Gold Subscriber
    Total Downloaded
    Well after much stuffing around I've gone and fabricated a bracket to mount it centre of the bullbar. Not my preferred choice and I will move it. Just need longer winch leads and then I think I can mount it up on one of the guards, possibly Sikaflex onto one of the wing tops even.

Just for everyone's information, the internal guards (wheel arches) are plastic on the new Defender.
    MY15 Discovery 4 SE SDV6

Total Downloaded
    I fitted mine under the drivers side mudguard, behind the headlight. The cables are relatively short and the solenoids are as high as humanly possible. Beside them is a Hella 1000 amp isolating switch, the key of which is spring clipped to my cubby box. The bonnet must be opened and the key inserted for the winch to work. I myself would not use a wireless remote, there are many storys of other peoples remotes working your winch inadvertantly
    1995 Defender 110 300TDI :D
    1954 86" Series 1 Automatic :eek:
    Ex '66 109" flat deck, '82 109" 3 door, '89 110 CSW V8, '74 Range Rover, '66 88" soft top, '78 88" soft top, '95 Disco ES V8, '88 Surf, '90 Surf, '84 V8 Surf, '91 Vitara.

Gold Subscriber
    Total Downloaded
    The driver or passenger side guard behind the headlight is a definite possibility for later. I'll need to make up some longer cables though. The XDC controller is completely sealed unlike the XD and M series Warns so its a lot smaller when removed from the plastic cover. The problem with mounting inside the guard is two fold:
    Space - I think it will fit, but getting it in there, is fun and I couldn't even think of how to drill holes at present.
    Access - I'll need to run the controller socket to somewhere accessible.

As for the wireless remote, it is supposed to be very good. I haven't seen any confirmed reports of remotes interfering with each other.
    MY15 Discovery 4 SE SDV6

Total Downloaded
    heres where my defender ones are, nice and dry.

In my county though, i have it behind the passengers headlight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast