Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cyclone at Narangba!!!

Total Downloaded

Cyclone at Narangba!!!

(%+^*&* hell! Got caught this arvo in Narangba - it wasn't a "storm" it was a friggen cyclone.
    I've seen some bad ones, and been in a cyclone, but that was as bad as anything I've seen. Look hairy going into it, and it was.
    Went from dry gullies to flowing rivers, and dry roads to above the headlights in less than 10 minutes.
    Trees and iron everywhere, at stage parked the D2 on the side of the road, couldn't even see the bonnet, or what colour it was. Car was "rocking" like a RUC land rover in West Belfast side to side, the wind was that ferocious, and hail dropping more than rain.
    I was just waiting for the windscreen to pack it in or end up on our side.
    Pics to come

Total Downloaded
    We had a real bad storm here too, just after we got back from our trip to Mount Mee Forest. The wind and rain were quite incredible, it really battered the side of our house that is still under construction, so water everywhere
    Now the wind has stopped but the rain is hammering down, our creek rose a couple of feet in a matter of minutes.Still it's washed all the mud off of the county

Total Downloaded
    I was in Rochedale when it hit and for a few minutes as it passed over I couldn't see past the bonnet. No wind though.

Did your Disco get damaged with the hail?

Total Downloaded
    She was a cracking storm!
     2005 Defender 110 

Total Downloaded
    I was coming back from Rocksberg along Caboolture River Road, back to Tullawong, wind so strong it was whipping the rain into a fog, could'nt see a damn thing, trees and large branches crashing down all around me, did'nt know where the road was, afraid to stop, just as likely to get some idiot plow into my rear, road was under 2 to 3 feet of water in parts, some areas well and truly over my headlights (Toyota Yaris YRX LW... the rest of the trip home was no better, King street ( D'ag Highway) was under water too.

Best one I have been in for quite some time....not sure how much rain as the gauge is overflowing.

Total Downloaded
    only hit here for about 20 minutes or so, weve had pretty lightning and residual rain intermittantly since, I was in the shops when it hit here, the lights went out to standby lighting and everyone was complaining about the shops forcing people out early by turning the lights off.
    Dave

"In a Landrover the other vehicle is your crumple zone."

For spelling call Rogets, for mechanicing call me.

Fozzy, 2.25D SIII Ex DCA Ute
    Tdi autoManual d1 (gave it to the Mupion)
    Archaeoptersix 1990 6x6 dual cab(This things staying)

If you've benefited from one or more of my posts please remember, your taxes paid for my skill sets, I'm just trying to make sure you get your monies worth.
    If you think you're in front on the deal, pay it forwards.

Total Downloaded
    the alarms went off in my shop so got a call from the security mob, went over and caboolture / morayfield looked like a war zone.

flashing emergency services lights as far as the eye could see, debris everywhere.

a couple of accidents on morayfield road just to add to the drama...

best wishes to the ses and emergency crews as they are in a for a couple of big days i think...
    1998 Discovery 300TDi Manual SE7
    1996 Discovery 300TDi Auto
    2012 SZ Territory TX 2.7TDCi

"Make the lie big, make it simple, keep saying it, and eventually they will believe it." -- a warning from Adolf Hitler
    "If you don't have a sense of humour, you probably don't have any sense at all!" -- a wise observation by someone else
    'If everyone colludes in believing that war is the norm, nobody will recognize the imperative of peace." -- Anne Deveson
    “What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.” - Pericles
    "The happiness of your life depends upon the quality of your thoughts." Marcus Aurelius

Total Downloaded
    No power for 12hrs, it could have been worse they said it might not be back on till 10p.m tonight! thank god they were wrong we'd not long just filled up the freezer.

GuyG is offline ChatterBox Silver Subscriber
    Total Downloaded
    I had only just got back from LCMP via the Brisbane Valley Highway, unpacked the car just emptying the esky when the storm hit. Was able to wash the car as it hadn't been done since the Levuka run - now nice and shiny (well as shiny as mine can be) in preperation for this weekends run. The went to check if our local creek had flooded so was also able to wash under the car a bit

The clouds on the way down certainly looked interesting, but definitely glad I had made it home before that came through. Also glad it didn't come through while I was camping.
    98 Harvey the tractor - 300 tdi Defender Wagon
    84 Alfetta GTV

Total Downloaded
    OK crap quality photos, but wasn't too concerned about photo quality as you might understand.
    The colours are a bit skewiff and don't do it justice.

Heading into it - (towards Narangba) really really black and the blue was actually the most intense "green colours" I've ever seen.

The blue here is actually glowing dark green. This is where I quoted the gorgeous george from Snatch on the way to the pikey camp -"Oh, this is going to get messy"

More of the build up

It begins

Trees going everywhere and roads instantly turned into rivers

This car was 2 metres in front of us (we had pulled over by this stage) - couldn't hardly see it for rain and intense hail, couldn't even see the end of our bonnet, or what colour it was.

THis is the most amazing photo.
    This is the BP at the roundabout cnr Oakey flat rd & new Settlement Rd.
    It's not a river. behind that fence is a football field and between the hedge and the fence is the road we were on. It was bone dry about 5 minutes before this. It now over the wheel arches and up to the bonnet

The aftermath

Normal 1 hr drive home, turned into quite an exciting 3 1/2 hr mission, not one I'd choose to do again. The Mrs had the rosary beads and a few tears a couple a times
    Just glad we were in the Disco

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast