Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26

Thread: Loud squealing when applying Brakes on my Defender

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Brisbane Area
    Posts
    891
    I couldn't tell u if they are OEM or not as they were not the vehicle when I bought it. I had a look and there is not anti-vibration plates either....

    Quote Originally Posted by weeds View Post
    Are you using OEM brakes with the anti-vibration plate thingy......I've only used OEM and never had issues



    Thanks Brett..... I assume u mean either side of where the piston makes contact with the pad & not actually where the piston makes contact?
    I've swapped the pads from side to side to see if that changes anything first, then I'll look at your suggestion.

    Quote Originally Posted by komaterpillar View Post
    Rob mate, clean the whole show out and then run a bead of high temp rtv silicone along the back of the pad where the caliper pistons contact the pad. Sometimes - not all the time - squealing is caused by the pads vibrating in the caliper under light loads and goes away under harder application. I'd say this is your issue, both my 110 and my wife's Hyundai i30 did it, the silicone on the back of the pads fixed it up.
    Cheers.....
    Rob M

    =============
    Car-1: 1996 Discovery Tdi Auto
    Car-2: 1995 Defender Tdi Wgn
    Car-3: 2010 Toyota Prado 150's
    My completed TRIPS: Rob's WikiLoc Trips or Rob's AllTrails Trips

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    toowoomba
    Posts
    294
    Quote Originally Posted by Robmacca View Post

    Thanks Brett..... I assume u mean either side of where the piston makes contact with the pad & not actually where the piston makes contact?
    I've swapped the pads from side to side to see if that changes anything first, then I'll look at your suggestion.
    Nah mate i mean where the piston contacts the pad.

    You put your bead of silicone on, put the pad back in the caliper, put your foot on the brakes a couple of times to push the pistons back out, this squashes the silicone out from between the pad and piston. All done before the silicone cures. The silicone is only there to prevent movement between the pad and piston - wich presents as squealing brakes.

    Ever removed an old set of pads and seen the fret mark on the back side where the piston contacts the pad? This is preventing that fretting

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    toowoomba
    Posts
    294
    You can also buy proper brake caliper lube for the same job but i prefer the silicone method as the silicone doesnt displace like the lube, its cheaper, and ive normally got an open tube of high temp RTV in the toolbox

    The proper stuff:
    Bendix Synthetic Disc Brake Lube - 6g - Supercheap Auto

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Adelaide Hills
    Posts
    759
    Only way I could fix this on mine was to use genuine LR brake pads and regularly check the wheel bearings. If they loosen up, the brake discs knock the brake pads further apart than normal which lets in more dust/dirt and you get more squealing as a result.


    1994 300TDi Defender 110 Hardtop

    "You can go fast. I wish I could..."

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Brisbane Area
    Posts
    891
    Quote Originally Posted by komaterpillar View Post
    Nah mate i mean where the piston contacts the pad.

    You put your bead of silicone on, put the pad back in the caliper, put your foot on the brakes a couple of times to push the pistons back out, this squashes the silicone out from between the pad and piston. All done before the silicone cures. The silicone is only there to prevent movement between the pad and piston - wich presents as squealing brakes.

    Ever removed an old set of pads and seen the fret mark on the back side where the piston contacts the pad? This is preventing that fretting
    Cool, I might try that then, I assume u don't use too much silicon?.... also I assume it's easy enough to remove the pads in the future when they need replacing?

    I obviously don't need that anti-vibration shim/plate at all as I don't have that shim/plate...?
    Cheers.....
    Rob M

    =============
    Car-1: 1996 Discovery Tdi Auto
    Car-2: 1995 Defender Tdi Wgn
    Car-3: 2010 Toyota Prado 150's
    My completed TRIPS: Rob's WikiLoc Trips or Rob's AllTrails Trips

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Brisbane Area
    Posts
    891
    Quote Originally Posted by Robmacca View Post

    Thanks Brett..... I assume u mean either side of where the piston makes contact with the pad & not actually where the piston makes contact?
    I've swapped the pads from side to side to see if that changes anything first, then I'll look at your suggestion.
    Well, swapping the pads around didn't work, so I'll try Brett's suggestion.....
    Cheers.....
    Rob M

    =============
    Car-1: 1996 Discovery Tdi Auto
    Car-2: 1995 Defender Tdi Wgn
    Car-3: 2010 Toyota Prado 150's
    My completed TRIPS: Rob's WikiLoc Trips or Rob's AllTrails Trips

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Mt. Eliza
    Posts
    444
    My MY15 does the same, servicing by LR finds nothing. Only happens once you've been driving for 10 minutes or so and on regular graduated braking. Doesn't occur if you brake hard. I'll look into the solutions suggested here.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Brisbane Area
    Posts
    891
    Quote Originally Posted by mekon76 View Post
    My MY15 does the same, servicing by LR finds nothing. Only happens once you've been driving for 10 minutes or so and on regular graduated braking. Doesn't occur if you brake hard. I'll look into the solutions suggested here.
    I gave the silicon suggestion a go and it has seemed to work but it does still squeal every now and then. Not sure on how much silicon to use, so I used the silicon sparingly and also not sure if I used the correct type of silicon as it's only rated to 270degree in temp. It has definitely helped though, so will how it goes and if need be I'll look into getting the right type of silicon..... Otherwise I'll put in the set of new pads I have sitting in the shed
    Cheers.....
    Rob M

    =============
    Car-1: 1996 Discovery Tdi Auto
    Car-2: 1995 Defender Tdi Wgn
    Car-3: 2010 Toyota Prado 150's
    My completed TRIPS: Rob's WikiLoc Trips or Rob's AllTrails Trips

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Brisbane Area
    Posts
    891

    Question Squeaky "REAR" Brake Pads - What REAR Brake PADS do people Use?

    Gents....

    I'm still trying to solve my squeaky REAR Brake Pad issue. I've tried a couple of suggestions on here but it only seems to work temporarily & then when u go driving on dirt roads, then it gets worse...

    The pads I'm using are the RDA Pads (Orange in colour). I've been told there are other better/more suitable pads so I'm looking for people's experiences & Ideas as to what REAR pads I should be using....

    History: I've fitted NEW Discs and Pads but the Pads are way too squeaky for me to handle & I need to do something before our family touring trip....

    Ideas??

    rob
    Cheers.....
    Rob M

    =============
    Car-1: 1996 Discovery Tdi Auto
    Car-2: 1995 Defender Tdi Wgn
    Car-3: 2010 Toyota Prado 150's
    My completed TRIPS: Rob's WikiLoc Trips or Rob's AllTrails Trips

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    watch this space.....
    Posts
    12,666
    Quote Originally Posted by Robmacca View Post
    Gents....

    I'm still trying to solve my squeaky REAR Brake Pad issue. I've tried a couple of suggestions on here but it only seems to work temporarily & then when u go driving on dirt roads, then it gets worse...

    The pads I'm using are the RDA Pads (Orange in colour). I've been told there are other better/more suitable pads so I'm looking for people's experiences & Ideas as to what REAR pads I should be using....

    History: I've fitted NEW Discs and Pads but the Pads are way too squeaky for me to handle & I need to do something before our family touring trip....

    Ideas??

    rob
    TRW pads seem to be a good fix.

    Ferodo squeal like banshees too

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search AULRO.com ONLY!
Search All the Web!