Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 30

Thread: Anyone else spotted rust in their Puma Defender?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Logan
    Posts
    25,500
    Our 2009 is pretty clear, but it has been pampered. One area not mentioned above is the bolts in the front footwells can rust if wet. Pull up the mats to check. I soaked all my floor bolts in rust converter. That also works well with the bolts holding the doors on. I have sprayed lanolin in the cross member and chassis rails. Our alpine windows are fine. The ones in our previous D1 rusted and to be repaired twice.
    2009 Defender 110 2.4. ARB bulbar, Ironman winch, Safari snorkel, Steinbauer chip, AP HD clutch, Lightforce spots, larger tank, Off Road Systems drawer, Traxide 160 controller, Tekonsha brakes, Mulgo seat runners, Uniden UHF, Nuggetstuff seat corners, breathers, Polaris GPS.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by nate_110 View Post
    Mate I'm also in newcastle and use the obvious dealer - am in the middle of chasing this rust nonsense up as we speak. Defender is 2 years old, rust found at both annual checks. Stuffed around after service manager left then they didn't have an approved repairer. Corrosion warranty is 6 years (as long as its had its annual inspections?), so don't take no for an answer and hassle them 24/7.
    Sounds like the Newcastle climate isn't friendly to Fendas! As I mentioned in my first post I have always thoroughly washed my vehicle after every beach run. With the exception of the last few months though we do have a fair bit of rain....

    Wonder how many other warranty claims for rust the local dealer has had? My report was lodged with HQ last Friday, I'll give them two weeks to address it then I'll be sending weekly emails until it gets sorted.

    I also wonder what the legality is of the warranty being conditional on annual (paid) checks. Especially given that issues are being picked up in these checks and not acted on.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ocean Reef WA
    Posts
    2,902
    I was told by the main stealer here that to be a claim under warranty there had to be actual holes in the metal sorrounding the alpine windows. A bit of bubbling doesn't count apparently.....
    AlanH.

  4. #14
    Tombie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ATH View Post
    I was told by the main stealer here that to be a claim under warranty there had to be actual holes in the metal sorrounding the alpine windows. A bit of bubbling doesn't count apparently.....
    AlanH.
    Your dealer lied to you...

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Rover
    Posts
    1,936
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjt084 View Post
    Sounds like the Newcastle climate isn't friendly to Fendas! As I mentioned in my first post I have always thoroughly washed my vehicle after every beach run. With the exception of the last few months though we do have a fair bit of rain....

    Wonder how many other warranty claims for rust the local dealer has had? My report was lodged with HQ last Friday, I'll give them two weeks to address it then I'll be sending weekly emails until it gets sorted.

    I also wonder what the legality is of the warranty being conditional on annual (paid) checks. Especially given that issues are being picked up in these checks and not acted on.
    So they don't do annual checks as part of service inspection? You have to request it and pay for it?! I wouldn't be buying that if my Defender was rusting, particularly within the first three years! ...touch wood mine seems clear of rust after 3 years, but then it's hardly been near the beach yet apart from a couple of trips two years ago.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeros View Post
    So they don't do annual checks as part of service inspection? You have to request it and pay for it?! I wouldn't be buying that if my Defender was rusting, particularly within the first three years! ...touch wood mine seems clear of rust after 3 years, but then it's hardly been near the beach yet apart from a couple of trips two years ago.
    Sorry what I mean is that you have to pay a premium to have the dealer service your vehicle rather than a 4WD specialist mechanic. Which would be semi-acceptable if they actually acted on the corrosion issues they detect.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by Tombie View Post
    Your dealer lied to you...
    I would have said the same too until I checked the website Tombie.

    Land Rover(R) Warranty & Assistance - Land Rover(R) Australia

  8. #18
    Tombie Guest
    All the corrosion on the 2 year old 90 was fully repaired under warranty, including a new roof and front windscreen surround...

    And I don’t pay a premium for dealer servicing either, the “local” (400km away) dealer does a fantastic job and competitively priced.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Brisbane,some of the time.
    Posts
    12,265
    The Puma in my sig was also full of rust and corrosion in numerous areas.

    The paintwork on the chassis was particularly poor.

    LR did their best to repair it all,including coating the complete chassis with Tectyl inside and out.

    For those who are in Brisbane,the work was all done at 'the bump shop',who are very well known for their work on LR's.

    Once out of warranty,corrosion has appeared in other areas,which is frustrating.
    Paul

    D2,D2,D2a,D4,'09 Defender 110(sons), all moved on.

    '56 S1,been in the family since...'56
    Comes out of hibernation every few months for a run

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    501
    My 2010 defender has had the rust repaired on the alpine windows, windscreen surround and the roof seam, the rust on the roof seam came back 2 years later, in the 5th year of the anti corrosion warranty.

    When I went to the dealer in the Southport where I had got it serviced the 6 months before they told me I needed the last anti corrosion report, which was done in Brisbane at its service before that, I phone them and asked for it, they had to get it out off the off-site archives, a week later they sent it to me and it didn't even have my rego on it or any detail, wasn't signed or anything I had just forwarded it on without looking, so Southport phoned me and old me, I phoned Brisbane and they then filled it out and sent it to me again. Which made me think did they even do one, or could they not be bothered finding the original.

    But, Southport accepted it sent it off to LR and in the end they replaced my whole roof, seemingly and this is waht they told me, but if rust returns they replace the whole roof. cost around 6k for them. And no holes just blisters like you have in your photo.

    I did have the same rust on the rear cross member, took that to them, they took photos and sent them off, LR came back and said I must have spilt something caustic to cause it so they were not going to fix it. I argued and emailed 10 photos of rusted cross members just like mine and they stuck to their guns. they will change a roof at a huge cost but not repaint a bit of steel on the back.. go figure.

    Fortunately and genuinely, I reversed into a trolley park in the shopping centre, caved in the rear right hand panel and had a tiny dent on the cross member so all fixed under insurance, and this is the rub, couldn't get the insurance recommended place to fix it as they did not have the tools to work on aluminium, so ended up going to the LR dealers body shop, he said this is a good thing as the rear cross members get a lick of paint and always rust!!

    Anyway fight it!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search AULRO.com ONLY!
Search All the Web!