Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Unimog 130

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,171
    Quote Originally Posted by goingbush View Post
    looks good on a 90, Im sure it would make a 130 steer a bit better than the Queen Mary

    Thats crazy, I was thinking another rod coming off the steering relay to the back. You would need a HD steering box and power steering.
    Hes got some electric or hydraulic motors turning his, and they are separately controlled from the front which is pretty cool.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Bittern Vic
    Posts
    271
    My 406 SWB Unimog has double cardon front driveshafts this enables it to turn the front wheels to 45 or slightly more degrees, Hence with a 90 inch wheelbase and it will turn sharper than a SWB Land rover. The portal axles are just for ground clearance but do reduce the reliability in with high speed high mileage use.
    The weight and width of the front axle would make it a very difficult conversion for a 130

    Ian
    Bittern

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    3,204
    Quote Originally Posted by LRJim View Post
    Thats crazy, I was thinking another rod coming off the steering relay to the back. You would need a HD steering box and power steering.
    Hes got some electric or hydraulic motors turning his, and they are separately controlled from the front which is pretty cool.
    Talking to Mal Storey a month or so back . He still has his 4WS Sidewinder. Brilliant.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Yarrawonga, Vic
    Posts
    4,976
    Quote Originally Posted by ian4002000 View Post
    My 406 SWB Unimog has double cardon front driveshafts this enables it to turn the front wheels to 45 or slightly more degrees, Hence with a 90 inch wheelbase and it will turn sharper than a SWB Land rover. The portal axles are just for ground clearance but do reduce the reliability in with high speed high mileage use.
    The weight and width of the front axle would make it a very difficult conversion for a 130

    Ian
    Bittern
    Iveco Daily 4x4 also has DC UJ's in the swivel housing, 134" WB but turns as tight as a 110.
    Ford Ranger DC Ute is also more than 130" WB but turns tighter than a 110 .

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    42
    4WS Now there is a winter project. Surely if someone made this as a bolt on kit it would sell like hot cakes!!

    The Tibus kit is nearly $21K + Rims + shipping + Tax. I only paid $14k for my 130 so this is just not justifiable.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Yarrawonga, Vic
    Posts
    4,976
    Quote Originally Posted by jay_guess View Post
    4WS Now there is a winter project. Surely if someone made this as a bolt on kit it would sell like hot cakes!!

    The Tibus kit is nearly $21K + Rims + shipping + Tax. I only paid $14k for my 130 so this is just not justifiable.
    You can justify spending $30K on a $15K car , problem is getting it past the CFO
    My Landy cost me $5K the EV Conversion parts cost me $20K . Worth every cent IMO .

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    353
    Portals...check rego requirements first.and good luck with that🙄

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,432
    Seems to be a large number of Toyota 79 series dual cabs running around with Marks Adaptors portals nowadays. Refer to Patriot Campers 6 x 6 beast.

    So I don't think registration is an issue anymore. There are however a large number of hoops to jump through to get the engineers tick of approval.
    Andrew
    1998 Landrover Defender 300Tdi 130 HCPU Expedition
    1972 Peugeot 504 Sedan - Daily Driver

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arcadia N.S.W.
    Posts
    1,943
    I think Mal Story sold a rear steer kit for Land Rovers when he was running Maxi Drive
    Don,

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Stanwell Park, NSW
    Posts
    1,320
    want rear steer? this has it
    want maxi drive portals? this has it.
    want all the capabilities of a comp truck? this has it.

    stop dreaming and just pay the money
    MLD

    Current: (Diggy) MY10 D130 ute, locked F&R, long travel suspension and rolling on 35's.
    Current: (Steed) MY11 Audi RS5 phantom black (no need for mods as it left the factory touched by God himself)
    Gone: (Dorothy) MY99 TD5 D110

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search AULRO.com ONLY!
Search All the Web!