Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Headlight upgrade

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    11

    Headlight upgrade

    Hi All,

    Looking for advise/ recommendations to upgrade my head lights on my 2010 Defender? I am struggling to see at night - not sure if itís my ageing eyesight Headlight upgrade.

    I have read some of the previous posts, but these are somewhat dated and I am not sure where technology is at now.

    Was thinking of Led lights. Also noting previous posts mention upgrading the wiring (traxide)to improve lighting. Is this recommended for led upgrades?

    Would appreciate recommendations.

    Thanks
    JA

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Whyalla, SA
    Posts
    5,304
    Not required on the LED upgrades for light output.
    Having said that, adding the Traxide loom does remove any load off the switch/stalk so will add some longevity.

    Although, the led draw is significantly less than the factory bulbs.
    Cheers
    Tombie

    AULRO Holiday Reward Points Winner!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    11
    Any recommendations on brands of LEDs?

    I have been looking at the Stedi lights.

    JA

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Perth Western Australia
    Posts
    1,840
    LED globe replacement, I have been fitting JW Speaker (brand) to customers Defenders for years, its a nice clean light without being over the top.

    and before people have a cry, yes they are not ADR compliant.
    Regards
    Daz


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Whyalla, SA
    Posts
    5,304
    Quote Originally Posted by DazzaTD5 View Post
    LED globe replacement, I have been fitting JW Speaker (brand) to customers Defenders for years, its a nice clean light without being over the top.

    and before people have a cry, yes they are not ADR compliant.
    JW are compliant as they were a standard fitment in Defenders at one point
    Cheers
    Tombie

    AULRO Holiday Reward Points Winner!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Whyalla, SA
    Posts
    5,304
    Stedi just released a more conventional looking unit too...

    STEDI 7 Inch Homage LED Headlight | Pair
    Cheers
    Tombie

    AULRO Holiday Reward Points Winner!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    812
    Hi Jawa.

    If you goto eBay and search for Ultrflex Defender LED you will see the ones I bought for my Puma years ago. They have a very even spread and never had an issue. Not sure if theyíre better or worse than whatís been recommended but for $200 I think theyíre a steal. A local to me bought them on my recommendation and heís equally impressed. The Stediís look pretty cool though.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Whyalla, SA
    Posts
    5,304
    Quote Originally Posted by alittlebitconcerned View Post
    Hi Jawa.

    If you goto eBay and search for Ultrflex Defender LED you will see the ones I bought for my Puma years ago. They have a very even spread and never had an issue. Not sure if theyíre better or worse than whatís been recommended but for $200 I think theyíre a steal. A local to me bought them on my recommendation and heís equally impressed. The Stediís look pretty cool though.
    You can get the same lights from eBay for sub $130 a pair if so inclined.
    Last edited by windsock; 29th November 2021 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Deleted some stuff
    Cheers
    Tombie

    AULRO Holiday Reward Points Winner!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    In a crosswind
    Posts
    2,112
    Quote Originally Posted by Jawa1975 View Post
    Hi All,

    Looking for advise/ recommendations to upgrade my head lights on my 2010 Defender? I am struggling to see at night - not sure if itís my ageing eyesight Headlight upgrade.

    I have read some of the previous posts, but these are somewhat dated and I am not sure where technology is at now.

    Was thinking of Led lights. Also noting previous posts mention upgrading the wiring (traxide)to improve lighting. Is this recommended for led upgrades?

    Would appreciate recommendations.

    Thanks
    JA
    Having recently had my cataracts taken out, my recommendation, if "not sure if itís my ageing eyesight" was in any way a serious comment, get your eyes checked. I fitted better headlights in the early stages of cataract formation and while it improved how far I could see, what I was seeing was still impaired, I could just see more of it...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    113
    Another vote for the homage stedis - seen some on a cruiser and they look good compared to the cheaper led looking ones and legal like jw speaker but half the price

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search AULRO.com ONLY!
Search All the Web!