Thread: Refitting Boost Gauge

Total Downloaded

Refitting Boost Gauge

Gday

Well this idea is partly JC's idea. At my last service he looked at the pressure inlet on my 300 Tdi Defender and suggested I refit it into the inlet manifold so I will get a more accurate reading.

He suggested drilling and tapping a hole in the manifold then putting the hose straight into that. But then I had a stroke of genius when we put the new inlet/exhaust manifold gasket I saw a plug in the inlet manifold. So I got hold of a plug drilled a hole in it and soldered a hose fitting into it.

I was going to tap a thread into the top of the plug but couldn't find a hose fitting with a small enough thread.

This is the original hose:

The plug in the inlet manifold:

The bit I used to machine the excess solder of the plug:

My engraver get hold of one of these if you can:

The finished modified plug with hose fitting:

A joiner in the old spot:

The plug fitted in the manifold:

The olive fitting that adapts the two different size hoses together. I pulled it apart becasue the hose broke off, and managed to drop the tiny little olive and lost it. So I ended up temporarily super glueing the hose into the fitting. If anyone knows where I can get a new one let me know please

Hope it helps someone
    Jock

Landroverless

Total Downloaded
    hey those little olives are a pita! i found the local autobarn super store had them

hth
    mick

Total Downloaded
    Thanks mate

I'll check that out on Monday
    Jock

Landroverless

Total Downloaded
    Good work Jock. I fitted my VDO boost/vaccuum gauge into the dash last week and was going to drill and tap the manifold on the flat section underneath next to the inlet from the intercooler, mainly because every other thread in the forum seemed to suggest tapping in in that area. Most seemed to be going in horizontally, but I figured the flat surface underneath was better.

Anyway, lucky I didn't because the other night I actually bothered to lift up the rubber tappet/manifold cover and noticed the plug on the back end of the manifold, which you have used. So, tomorrow I shall be be manufacturing myself a threaded sleeve to step down the, what appears to be, M12 x [something] thread in the manifold to my M10 x [something] sender fitting (thread pitches yet to be determined).

Viva la boost!

Total Downloaded
    Just FYI that plug at the back of the manifold is M12 x 1.5 and you can buy adapters off the shelf 1/8 npt to M12 x 1.5 for boost gauge or transducer to make it really quick and simple.

James