PDA

View Full Version : L Series Fuel Injector Service

101RRS
18th April 2010, 11:01 AM
When I pull up at lights etc my Freelander L series hunts around idle for about 30 secs or so before settling down to a constant idle. The change in revs is not enough to register on the tacho but you can hear the rev change.

I am coming up to a major service where I will have to pull a few things off the engine - as the injector pump belt will be off, I will now probably pull the injector pump off so that I can replace the glow plug behind it and as it is off I was thinking about the injectors (possibly causing the hunt around idle).

So does anyone know if the L series injectors are a throw away item or are serviceable? If serviceable do they need to go to a fuel injection expert or just need a clean up? Also how do you know if they need a service?

Thanks

Garry

wolvespaul
18th April 2010, 08:10 PM
Not sure on the hunting, maybe try a filter full on kerosene and hard revving, seems wierd that it hunts for 30 seconds and clears.

Maybe it sucking air or a dodgy injectors thats dribbling.

woko
19th April 2010, 05:29 PM
You could check the screen in the banjo fitting bolt on the inlet side of pump. If you have access to computer to read fault they usually come up with injector needle lift fault if there is a blockage in fuel system. I have always fitted new injectors to these, so unsure if they can be rebuild, they are a bosch injector so ask a bosch service agent. Number 1 injector is different as has a sensor for needle lift in it.
Could just be worn timing belts. I haven't had Freelanders do it but have had other makes do strange things with worn timing belts, Transits are really bad for it. They can bring on engine check light when timing belt is worn.

101RRS
19th April 2010, 05:54 PM
You could check the screen in the banjo fitting bolt on the inlet side of pump. If you have access to computer to read fault they usually come up with injector needle lift fault if there is a blockage in fuel system. I have always fitted new injectors to these, so unsure if they can be rebuild, they are a bosch injector so ask a bosch service agent. Number 1 injector is different as has a sensor for needle lift in it.
Could just be worn timing belts. I haven't had Freelanders do it but have had other makes do strange things with worn timing belts, Transits are really bad for it. They can bring on engine check light when timing belt is worn.

Thanks for that.

The major work I have to do is the belts, and associated bits, clutch, engine exhaust pipe, new turbo hoses, intercooler clean. As well it needs new glow plugs, the injection pump (and strainer/fuel filter) need a clean etc so I guess to do the injectors might as well get added to the list.

So I guess these are not serviceable and are a replacement item.

Garry