PDA

View Full Version : MGB 3t trailer

Mick_Marsh
4th June 2010, 05:18 PM
for auction in Darwin
Car auctions, truck auctions, damaged car auctions, online car auctions | Sydney Melbourne Brisbane Perth Adelaide Hobart | ManheimFowles (http://www.manheimfowles.com.au/)

Lotz-A-Landies
4th June 2010, 05:45 PM
for auction in Darwin
Car auctions, truck auctions, damaged car auctions, online car auctions | Sydney Melbourne Brisbane Perth Adelaide Hobart | ManheimFowles (http://www.manheimfowles.com.au/)
258727th July there seem to be two in the catalogue but three in the image.

I've got one of them and so has a mate, but have heard that at least one of them that went through the auction system had the brake shoes removed because of potential asbestos.

Bigbjorn
5th June 2010, 01:14 PM
7th July there seem to be two in the catalogue but three in the image.

I've got one of them and so has a mate, but have heard that at least one of them that went through the auction system had the brake shoes removed because of potential asbestos.

If they were in Brisbane or Sydney I would have had a go but Darwin is out of the question.

UncleHo
5th June 2010, 09:18 PM
You could always phone or internet bid Brian, then somebody could arrange Tpt ;)

Bigbjorn
5th June 2010, 09:29 PM
You could always phone or internet bid Brian, then somebody could arrange Tpt ;)

Hi Ho. The transport would cost as much, if not more, than I would wish to pay for the trailer. Besides, I like to inspect what I propose to buy. Most ex-military stuff is knocked about or has bits missing. Not much pristine stuff ex-mil such as my No.5 and the field kitchens.

Lotz-A-Landies
30th June 2010, 12:34 PM
Just a further note of warning - I managed to get a copy of the RPS for the 3 Ton MGB trailer and the specs show the width as 2560mm this is 60mm wider than the maximum permissable for this type of trailer in NSW (and most other places AFAIK).

Upon inspection, there are basically two areas where the trailer is over width: The clearance lamps on the end of the outriggers take the width out past 2500mm, move the clearance lamps below the outriggers and that problem is solved.
The more difficult area is the axle, the road wheel centres and wheel nuts are the full 2560mm. The only option is to have at least 60mm taken out of the centre of the axle and move the spring mounts out 30mm on each side. This is likely possible but will move the tyre inner wall very close to the chassis and spring pack.

It is what I have to do if I ever hope to register and use the trailer.

Mick_Marsh
30th June 2010, 01:39 PM
Just a further note of warning - I managed to get a copy of the RPS for the 3 Ton MGB trailer and the specs show the width as 2560mm this is 60mm wider than the maximum permissable for this type of trailer in NSW (and most other places AFAIK).

Upon inspection, there are basically two areas where the trailer is over width:

The clearance lamps on the end of the outriggers take the width out past 2500mm, move the clearance lamps below the outriggers and that problem is solved.
The more difficult area is the axle, the road wheel centres and wheel nuts are the full 2560mm. The only option is to have at least 60mm taken out of the centre of the axle and move the spring mounts out 30mm on each side. This is likely possible but will move the tyre inner wall very close to the chassis and spring pack.

I believe you can get around this if the trailer is for a special purpose. Then you would probably have to convince the RTA "historical purposes" are a valid reason.

Lotz-A-Landies
30th June 2010, 01:51 PM
I believe you can get around this if the trailer is for a special purpose. Then you would probably have to convince the RTA "historical purposes" are a valid reason.That is the question I posed to NSW RTA Technical Branch and their answer was very clear. No the trailer can not be registered under any circumstances.
No the trailer is not eligible for an overwidth permit under any circumstances.
The only way that the trailer can be on NSW roads is that it is carried on an appropriate vehicle with over width signs attached and the MGB trailer is the load.
Sounds a pretty unambiguous answer to me. :(

So have arranged that a fabrication engineer friend wll narrow the axle for me.

Bigbjorn
30th June 2010, 04:04 PM
Just don't tell the truth on the rego application. Plenty of precedent.

Lotz-A-Landies
30th June 2010, 04:07 PM
Just don't tell the truth on the rego application. Plenty of precedent.There is already one on another clubs plate but as the LROC Conditional Rego Secretary it'd reflect badly on the Club. :BigCry:

Mick_Marsh
30th June 2010, 04:24 PM
You don't have to register it in Victoria if it's not more than 3m long and not wider than the towing vehicle. You get an exempt trailer plate. about $20 I think.

Lotz-A-Landies
30th June 2010, 04:58 PM
You don't have to register it in Victoria if it's not more than 3m long and not wider than the towing vehicle. You get an exempt trailer plate. about $20 I think.https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2015/11/749.jpghttps://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2015/11/749.jpg

This is a trailer, that has a GTM of 4989Kg (1452Kg tare weight) designed to carry 3 ton of medium girder bridge components. And as we said it is overwidth (at least for NSW) by 60mm, so nothing I have is wider than this trailer.

It is also 5690mm long.

Bigbjorn
1st July 2010, 08:55 AM
Gary has his already on an AMVCS club plate but as the LROC Conditional Rego Secretary it'd reflect badly on the Club. :BigCry:

What is the advantage in registering a trailer on Special Interest rego? Trailers cost bugger all to register anyhow and use is not restricted if on normal reg.

Lotz-A-Landies
1st July 2010, 09:26 AM
What is the advantage in registering a trailer on Special Interest rego? Trailers cost bugger all to register anyhow and use is not restricted if on normal reg.Is that still true on trailers over two tons GTM?

From my personal perspective, the only thing I have with air brakes that is capable of towing my trailer is my Mk3 Inter and that is on Historic Rego, so the issue is moot.

Bigbjorn
1st July 2010, 01:51 PM
Checked with Qld. Transport Full rego $186, less $86 concession for Special Interest rego.

Lotz-A-Landies
1st July 2010, 02:18 PM
Checked with Qld. Transport Full rego $186, less $86 concession for Special Interest rego.Historic Conditional Registration in NSW $22.

Bigbjorn
1st July 2010, 02:58 PM
Classed as a heavy trailer because of its tare and aggregate. QT require a Safety Certificate and inspection and measurement by either by the Dept. or a Registered Heavy Vehicle Inspector. Private reg. not applicable to a heavy trailer, closest category is "not for profit".

Lotz-A-Landies
28th June 2012, 01:41 PM
http://www.aulro.com/afvb/attachments/military-vehicles-sale/46562d1336266872-5-4-ton-bridging-trailer-sale-cabdscn0558_20120505_017.jpg
http://www.aulro.com/afvb/attachments/military-vehicles-sale/46563d1336267022-5-4-ton-bridging-trailer-sale-cabdscn0559_20120505_026.jpg
http://www.aulro.com/afvb/attachments/military-vehicles-sale/46564d1336267288-5-4-ton-bridging-trailer-sale-cabdscn0563_20120505_030.jpg
Medium Girder Bridge Trailer
10/78 manufacture date, eligible for historic conditional rego in NSW
Original ARN 27-673

Designed by British Army for Medium Girder Bridge pallets to be towed behind Royal Engineer RL Bedfords. One truck and trailer carried sufficient parts for one span.
These Australian trailers were built by Government Ordnance Factory, Maribyrnong.

alien
28th June 2012, 07:13 PM

Upon inspection, there are basically two areas where the trailer is over width:

The clearance lamps on the end of the outriggers take the width out past 2500mm, move the clearance lamps below the outriggers and that problem is solved.

Thinking outside the square...
Why register it?
If you could get it onto the back of the Mk3 it would be legal to carry as it's indivisable.
(It would be no wider than most curtains on chiller tautliners running the highway).
Drop it off for display days(subject to site registration rules).
Some sites have earth ramps that could be used.

mick88
28th June 2012, 07:32 PM
You don't have to register it in Victoria if it's not more than 3m long and not wider than the towing vehicle. You get an exempt trailer plate. about $20 I think.

Pretty sure they also have to be less than 1.8 metres wide (and must be narrower than the towing vehicle as well to comply), under 750kg gross weight and they are not allowed to have any object protruding outside the trailer, say a ladder or a length of timber.

Cheers, Mick

Lotz-A-Landies
28th June 2012, 08:51 PM
Thinking outside the square...
Why register it?
If you could get it onto the back of the Mk3 it would be legal to carry as it's indivisable.
(It would be no wider than most curtains on chiller tautliners running the highway).
Drop it off for display days(subject to site registration rules).
Some sites have earth ramps that could be used.Actually it is wider than the Mk3 tray.

However upon reviewing the NSW Regs, the width is measured across the body or in this case the tray. The body is just narrower than 2.5M with the clearance lamps protruding past the 2.5M with which is permissable.

The 60mm overwidth (30mm on each side) is the hub caps and wheel nuts and the regulations allow hub devices to protrude past the 2.5M width, up to IIRC 150mm.