PDA

View Full Version : What do you think?

psproule
19th August 2010, 06:49 PM
Hi Folks, sorry to create another one of these threads but I firmly believe in the power of information through forums....

I am looking seriously at buying an FL1 as a second runabout / light duty off-roader to compliment our 2006 diesel Pajero. I am mechanically inclined and have thoroughly read through about the first 6 pages of your forum posts & have learnt the following (please correct me where I might be wrong):

- never buy a 1.8 petrol, the TD4 is the one to get
- post 2001 will likely not have the viscous coupling problem, and will also have traction / ABS / EBD and airbags
- cam / injector pump belts have to be changed every 80,000km (edit - I'm wrong - the TD4 has a chain drive)
- the TD4 motor otherwise has very few foibles and is known for longevity if cared for - maybe the occasional lift pump problem?
- a member here can flash a new program into the TD4 ECU for a mild power upgrade

How am I doing so far?

Now, the actual vehicle I am looking at is listed here. (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320576223668&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1154) It is a 2001 SE 5 speed manual, 161,000km, has the leather pack, AC and all the usual options. Rego till Feb, two small dimple dents, new clutch a couple of months ago (cost $3k), new rear window regulator, service history etc. Owner wants $8k for it. Does that sound like a reasonable purchase? I'm planning to make the trip up to Sydney this-weekend for a look but would welcome your thoughts.

Also, we use our Pajero for a lot of off-road touring. I know the FL does not have low range but I gather they are otherwise reasonably capable off-road for a "soft" roader? I'm thinking that this will make a good car for my daughter to drive along with us on some of our trips, and further her learning on a manual. I gather it might not be up to the task of steep high-country tracks but I see a few have tackled Stockton, the Simpson and similar? I didn't see much of a mention about lift kits in the forums - is this possible?

I think I have asked enough for now - thanks in advance and please dont flame the newbie too much:).

Cheers - Pat

abaddonxi
19th August 2010, 07:46 PM
Looks good.

Check out this thread - http://www.aulro.com/afvb/technical-chatter/21634-freelander-irds-viscous-couplings.html

Or search for garrycol, threads posted by user, and freelander, search entire post, choose display as threads. Lots of diesel Freelander stuff that you may not have seen.

Or try this search link.;)
http://www.aulro.com/afvb/search.php?searchid=1944897&pp=30

Welcome to AULRO.

Cheers
Simon

psproule
22nd August 2010, 01:58 PM
I went and had a look at it - unfortunately too good to be true. Had a full service history but the body plastics were an absolute mess from sun exposure - literally falling apart. Interior was OK although grotty. The clincher for me was that it had immobilizer problems and wouldn't start. So if anyone knows of a good 2001 / 2002 TD4 manual up for sale feel free to let me know.

Cheers - Pat

camel_landy
23rd August 2010, 04:38 AM
Due to the lack of low range, manual Freelanders have to be driven with 'Passion'... ;)

Freelanders a brilliant off-road and in the right hands you can go most places where the 'big boys' go. If you're wanting to do any serious off-roading though, an auto would be a better option. The auto will compensate for the lack of low range and save you from burning out clutches.

HTH

M

Grasshoppr
23rd August 2010, 10:11 AM
I agree, Having a 04 TD4 manual, I've smoked the clutch a couple of times on the big rocky stuff. In the sand, not a problem. Great little softy with a big heart.
All the best
Bruce

101RRS
23rd August 2010, 12:41 PM
Had a full service history but the body plastics were an absolute mess from sun exposure - literally falling apart. Interior was OK although grotty. The clincher for me was that it had immobilizer problems and wouldn't start.

I am surprised - my XeDi in a 97 build and has lived outside all its life - now done 270,000km - trim is as good inside as new - all bits outside are good - the grey plastic bits are beginning to lighten a bit in colour but plastic restorer works on that OK.

So what was the immobiliser problem - the remote not talking to the security ECU or something more. If the remote was not talking most likely a low battery in the remote - easy fix - the security ECU does tell you by beeps and the flashing led when the fob battery is getting low.

Garry

SuperMono
23rd August 2010, 06:40 PM
I know the FL does not have low range but I gather they are otherwise reasonably capable off-road for a "soft" roader?

Absolutely, the second best soft roader after the FL2.
My V6 auto has never been stuck to the point of needing a tow/snatch recovery. My 'new' D3 was pulled out 3 times yesterday, pretty sure the FL1 would have handled all but 1 of the situations.

I didn't see much of a mention about lift kits in the forums - is this possible?

Yes, look here: http://www.aulro.com/afvb/freelander/64773-freelander-1-bearmach-lift-kit.html

If you are really keen you could buy the lift kit out of mine, so far any potential buyers just want a city runabout.

psproule
24th August 2010, 06:43 AM
I agree re the auto being a better bet given the lack of low range. THe only two things stopping me are that SWMBO would actually prefer a manual, and I am determined that my daughter can drive a manual. But I could go either way. Any foibles with the auto? Are they still a Jatco box?

By the way - what is the big yellow witch on the gearshift? Hill descent?

Re the plastics - both bumpers looked awful. The plastic was all sun faded and blotchy and the rear sported quite a few scrapes. The nudge bar had the powder coat flaking off everywhere with rust underneath. But the rest of the body had no signs of rust.

Re the immobilizer - the key fob was working to lock / unlock the doors and it gave the beep. But it wouldn't fire when cranking as if the immobilizer was still engaged. THe seller mentioned that sometimes you had to re-lock & then unlock the doors to get it to work. But he couldn't while I was there - although he rang me once I had left to say that it had started.

If it were a couple of $k less it might be a good one to buy and tidy up - the combination of the leather colours and the body colour looked great. But not being sure on spares and body parts availability put me off a bit.

I'm still looking for another one though.

Cheers - Pat

101RRS
24th August 2010, 11:33 AM
Re the immobilizer - the key fob was working to lock / unlock the doors and it gave the beep. But it wouldn't fire when cranking as if the immobilizer was still engaged.

The beep means that the fob battery is low however there is not an immobiliser problem - the engine will not crank at all when the immobiliser is on.

Therefore there is an engine issue rather than an immobiliser issue. Reading the codes on the main ECU will most likely point to what the issue is - possibly a faulty crank sensor.

Garry

psproule
5th September 2010, 05:02 AM
Well, after having a look for an alternative TD4 for a couple of weeks and finding nothing worthwhile under 10K, and after doing some research on parts costs, I Came back and had a better look at this one along with my father.

Before I get into the following essay, I have a question: It is a 2001 SE TD4 5 speed manual, Australian delivered. It has leather seats and steering wheel, but no cruise control. In all the literature I can find on these it makes no mention of leather being available but states that cruise is factory standard? I gather that this is wrong? Has anyone ever retro-fitted the cruise module & switches into a TD4?

It probably wasn't as bad as I first made out. The bumpers are blotchy and the tailgate handle has a hole through the top. I found a replacement on ebay for those for a reasonable cost. Otherwise the only real problem is a tired set of tyres. The interior is still grotty but should clean up well. It has a full service history of 10,000km services, It had a major major service 5000km ago including full oils (synthetics in the the diffs / transfer), all filters, drive belts, and a new clutch and slave cylinder. Yes, there is an immobilizer or crank angle sensor problem, although they state it rarely gives trouble (we'll see and I am handy with electronics and diagnostics). This time it did not play up on me at all.

But what got me was the test drive. At 161,000km it drives beautifully, has no rattles or squeaks, everything just works, and it pulls as good if not better than the NP diesel Pajero we drove up to pick it up in. A really nice car.

So at $8,000 and with a few cosmetic tidy ups I think we have a bargain. Even the insurance co (AAMI) gave me an agreed value of $11,800.

Cheers & thanks for the advice. Pat.

Ausfree
5th September 2010, 07:23 AM
No Cruise Control????:confused: I have a late 2001 SE KV6 Freelander Automatic with cruise control and it works a treat,. great on the Freeways, maybe LandRover didn't put Cruise Control in manuals at that time. Mine also has leather seats, good quality leather too, not the crap they put in Falcodores.!!!!:)

djhampson
6th September 2010, 07:19 AM
Meguiar's Exterior Trim Detailer works brilliantly on the gray plastics. It might take a few coats but it cleans them up really well.

psproule
6th September 2010, 06:25 PM
Thanks DJ and Ausfree. I'll grab some of that product for the plastics. I've found a replacement for the back door handle. THe rear bumper has a scrape so I might look at replacing it anyway. Re the leather - it is in top nich and seems to have stood up well. Just needs a clean.

We drove it back from Sydney to Wagga and it behaved beautifully. Then I gave the keys to my wife for a drive and it would crank but not fire. It did it to me again today and then later wouldn't even crank, showing flat battery symptoms. A load test showed the battery to be crook and after a fresh one (+ the remote) it seems OK. Occasionally it is throwing the ABS / TC and hill descent lights so I guess diagnosing that one is the next step. Might have to go visit a dealer for some computer code reading time.

Cheers - Pat