PDA

View Full Version : Looking at an RV-4 kit

Rangier Rover
23rd August 2010, 10:33 AM
My best mate built one of these a wile back, great little aircraft.:)

Van's Aircraft - Aircraft Models: RV-4 Specifications (http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/rv-4spe.htm)

Have by chance come across a part-completed RV-4 kit.
Wings and tail are done and it includes an O-320 engine.

Asking 23k ono.... Very tempting.:angel:

Only thing stopping me is time and space restraints here. My wife would also go nuts:eek: She even tried to hide the email from me:o

Make a great midlife project and at least cant get done for speeding once completed.
You see, the wife wants a Cobra replica. Fun it would be:D Cop bait it will be:(

And.... Shal the debate begin;)

Tony

101RRS
23rd August 2010, 12:33 PM
Can you trust the workmanship of a home builder??

Can you afford the maintenance on the engine like - can be horrific - routine maintenance can include complete rebuilds based on hours.

They are a nice plane though.

Garry

flagg
23rd August 2010, 06:07 PM
nice one. :)

BUT - don't confuse building an aeroplane with flying :) In all the hours you will spend building the damn thing... could have been spent in the air!

abaddonxi
23rd August 2010, 07:55 PM
Tony, I think you should give up the farming and open up a resthome playground for middle-aged men.:D

rick130
23rd August 2010, 09:07 PM
Tony, I think you should give up the farming and open up a resthome playground for middle-aged men.:D

:lol2:

Combine that with farmstays for Scandinavian Backpackers and the fella's suffering a midlife crisis will beat a path to your door :angel:

harry
9th September 2010, 04:16 PM
Can you trust the workmanship of a home builder??
the home built aircraft is inspected along the way be professional people

Can you afford the maintenance on the engine like - can be horrific - routine maintenance can include complete rebuilds based on hours.

not completely correct, the average light aircraft inspection can be comparable to a modern car sevice by the dealership, depending on many variables, of course.
the 0-320 has an overhaul life of 2000 hours, it takes a long time for a privately owned aircraft to get to that, about 20 years.

They are a nice plane though.
carpenters use 'planes'

Garry

not being picky, but we have to encourage people to take up flying and building, keeps me in a job.

p38arover
9th September 2010, 06:13 PM
It would be great to do it. A nice two-seater that can do some aerobatics and also be used for touring.

I've been watching "A Plane is Born" with Mark Evans (who did "A 4x4 is Born") on Foxtel for the past few weeks.

I did consider going and buying a Victa AirTourer, e.g., Airtourer 115 VH_MUF for sale Australia (http://www.victa.accesspoint.net.au/)

harry
9th September 2010, 07:04 PM
hi ron, aerobatics isn't for us older people.
the victa was a nice little aircraft,
i have probably worked on muf many years ago.

Rangier Rover
14th September 2010, 03:12 PM
Harry, I had the impression you were not that fond of the experimental.:eek: Sorry:wasntme:

Anyway, It appears to not be as complete as I was fist told. Probably a good thing.
The engine has been stripped and inspected even though it has 400 hrs left on it.

I'll post some pics latter if any interest. I'm 50/50 ATM:confused: Should be working on the house really. Some one slap me!

harry
14th September 2010, 04:30 PM
i have no problems with experimental,
but that does refer to the one's that do it properly.
i see a lot of them, and issue c of a's for many.
aerobatics is ok for other people.

why did they pull the engine?

p38arover
14th September 2010, 09:19 PM
hi ron, aerobatics isn't for us older people.
the victa was a nice little aircraft,
i have probably worked on muf many years ago.

Why not aerobatics, Harry?

I haven't done any since I last flew in a sailplane over 30 years ago (when I was learning to fly one).

Re the Victa, I've always had a soft spot for them.

Pedro_The_Swift
22nd September 2010, 10:20 PM
Do you REALLY think you should take up flying Ron??:o

you cant get a toaster to run properly--:p

p38arover
23rd September 2010, 07:22 AM
Do you REALLY think you should take up flying Ron??:o

you cant get a toaster to run properly--:p

That's why I flew gliders - no engine to fail.... :D