PDA

View Full Version : DEXTROSE, SUGAR, CARB DROPS AND BARLEY SUGARS

LOVEMYRANGIE
22nd September 2010, 09:51 PM
For those who bottle, what have you tried and what works best with what.

Keen to hear on the barley sugar merhod if anyone has tried. If not, guess i'll be a guinea pig!!

Cheers

Andrew

Celtoid
23rd September 2010, 06:55 PM
Hey Rangie....

been brewing for years but have kept it pretty simple.

Never heard of the Barley Sugar method....what is it?

Cheers,

Kev.

LOVEMYRANGIE
23rd September 2010, 07:48 PM
Exactly that, barley sugar lollies!!
Was sucking on a couple the other night in front of the telly. They are basically glucose and the same size as Coopers carbonation drops with a barley twist!
Judt curious if anyone has ever tried them in place of.
Might sacrifice a couple of bottles in the brews i have bubbling at the moment and see what happens!

LandyAndy
23rd September 2010, 09:47 PM
tried the coopers carbination drops in the past.Found them to be too slow and had "off" flavours.
Much easier to "bulk prime".
IE the day before bottling tip the required amount of sugar into the fermenter.
Andrew

Celtoid
23rd September 2010, 10:09 PM
Very interesting......
[thumbsupbig]
Barley to make beer mash and then barley to carbonate...never thought of that.....

Worked with a guy who reckoned his brother-in-law...brother....somebody he knew, had invented such carbonation drops.

We used to have "Brew Off" parties. Everybody tasted each other's brews....wasn't exclusive.....entry fee "One Carton Of Beer" regardless of whether you made it or otherwise.

He turned up with bags....I mean a 100 bags of these drops...so we believed him.

Bottom line...being the lazy bugger that I am, I used my dish-washer to clean my stubbies (after filter cleaning and a dose of steriliser). The rinse-aid used to affect the head of the beer. To cut a long story short....I needed to add more priming suger. This is a pain in the butt with the drops.

In the end, I went to kegs and a Kegorater..........LOVE IT!!!

On Landy Andy's comment....I used to 'Rack' into a clean/sterilsed fermenter, add the bulk sugar and then bottle. Only on advice....no idea if it makes any diff......guess you don't have to deal with the leas (however you spell that?)....but you do introduce more O2.

Cheers,

Kev.

LOVEMYRANGIE
23rd September 2010, 11:32 PM
tried the coopers carbination drops in the past.Found them to be too slow and had "off" flavours.
Much easier to "bulk prime".
IE the day before bottling tip the required amount of sugar into the fermenter.
Andrew

Yeah, I don't really like them either. Had problems with them not dissolving properly. I use dextrose powder at the moment, dissolves instantly and bugger all sediment from it.
Kegerator is on the cards after a few toys for the D2 and repairs to the Rangie so I just have to put up with bottles at the moment.... ;)

isuzurover
24th September 2010, 12:09 AM
I usually use the carbonation drops OR dextrose. I haven't noticed the difference. If I have added cane sugar to a brew I usually use raw cane sugar. NFI if the flavour is due to the brew or the cane sugar.

Barley sugar is an interesting idea!!!