PDA

View Full Version : Roverdrive

Eddie S
22nd October 2010, 02:47 PM
Anybody using the Roverdrive behind their series 3? just wandering what they're like, and are they ok behind a 186 Holden motor. Or are they troublesome like the Fairey O/D,any responses are greatly appreciated. Eddie S. :eek:

fai

Lotz-A-Landies
22nd October 2010, 03:06 PM
Anybody using the Roverdrive behind their series 3? just wandering what they're like, and are they ok behind a 186 Holden motor. Or are they troublesome like the Fairey O/D,any responses are greatly appreciated. Eddie S. :eek:
faiEddie

If you are talking about the Roverdrive from Roverdrive Corp in BC Canada, they are an excellent overdrive, much quieter than the Fairey or Toro brand and because of the epicyclic gear design using components from auto transmissions designed to go behind big Yankie V8s they are very reliable.

Usually too expensive for most people to buy, but if you can get one they are a great unit. They also make an overdrive for the LT230 and were about to release one for the LT95 although there was a delay re-designing the flange where it bolts on.

Diana

pfillery
25th October 2010, 07:04 AM
Can someone explain how these bolt on overdrives work? Is it basically that an extra gear is added to the box? Driving the car, do you shift into neutral and then engage your overdrive or do you stay in 4th gear, and does it change the ratio of all the gears? I assume it drives back into the box, not to a seperate output?

Lotz-A-Landies
25th October 2010, 07:47 AM
Can someone explain how these bolt on overdrives work? <snip>the bolt on overdrives fit into the rear PTO hole of the transfer box and replace the mainshaft rear constant gear with a pair of concentric shafts.

The inner (input) shaft is locked onto the gearbox mainshaft and the outer (output) shaft replicates the tooth count and cut of the mainshaft constant gear. At the back end of the two shafts is a gearbox. In Fairey and Toro it is a system of two counter rotating shafts (in Fairey some parts out of a Rover 2000 car), for the Roverdrive it is an epi-cyclic (planetary gears) design.

When the Overdrive is "not engaged" (although in truth it is) the overdrive input and output shafts are locked together and rotate at the same speed, replicating the usual top speed. When the overdrive is "engaged" the input shaft drives through the O/D gearbox which rotates the output shaft something around 27% faster than the mainshaft, hence overdrive is obtained.

The overdrive can be used in all gears, including reverse, giving 16 forward gears and 4 reverse in a series transmission, although in truth the O/D should only be used in 3rd and 4th Hi range. Gears must be engaged otherwise you are in neutral with no drive.

In some boxes like the Defender R380/LT230 4th OD is roughly equivalent to 5th normal which makes the O/D less functional than in the series boxes where the OD usually splits 3rd/4th. The result in a series box is a spread of ratios:3rd; 3rd-O/D; 4th; 4th-O/D.

Hope this helps.
Diana

pfillery
25th October 2010, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the explanation Diana. I had seen them fitted to cars but wondered exactly how they interacted with the existing systems. When I used to have an old beetle, you could get a 5th gear kit for the original beetle gearboxes, but this essentially was an added gear to the original box, you pulled out the original selectors and one of the shafts replacing it with the new parts thus converting the 4 speed into a 5 speed. Pretty pricey though at around $1300 for the kit back in the early 90's.

Pitty the boffins can't work out a way to do this on the Landy gearbox, I'm sure there are ways to convert them to a different box - I guess as long as the outputs are there you can connect anything to anything these days. Seen a couple of Ford c4 auto conversions done bolted to either a 250cu 6 cylinder or a small v8 which aparently work really well but would no doubt involve major modifications. Must be a 5 speed conversion you can do relatively simply. From what I've read on these forums about overdrives they are very noisy.

Eddie S
25th October 2010, 03:45 PM
I've been looking at the Roverdrive, been thinking of it, but I'm worried the standard gearbox behind a 186 aint much chop, don't want to throw away money for nothing. Marks adapters in Melbourne use to make a 5sp Nissan kit to series Landy - dont do it anymore. Anyone out there no of any 5sp conversions? Are the HSTC any good? Most people I have asked say they work well. Any comments most apprieciated.:)

kaa45
25th October 2010, 04:02 PM
I've been looking at the Roverdrive, been thinking of it, but I'm worried the standard gearbox behind a 186 aint much chop, don't want to throw away money for nothing. Marks adapters in Melbourne use to make a 5sp Nissan kit to series Landy - dont do it anymore. Anyone out there no of any 5sp conversions? Are the HSTC any good? Most people I have asked say they work well. Any comments most apprieciated.:)

Here you go....Ashcroft Transmissions (http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=45)

Lotz-A-Landies
25th October 2010, 04:20 PM
Just a bit of information about a lot of these 5sp adapters. Yes you can fit them in relatively easily so long as you can also adapt the engine to the respective box.

However because of the design of most if not all of these adapters you can not retain the PTO output necessary for your Thomas PTO winch etc.

If a PTO is as important to you as a 5 speed gearbox, then you may want to consider using a 110/Defender transmission instead of the series transfer. (Not that PTO outputs for LT95 or LT230 are easy to come by either).

Your other option is to change to a Toyota Land Cruiser 5 speed transmission and maybe even the Toyota diesel engine. (Now I will go and wash out my mouth with soap for mentioning the TLC words.)

Eddie S
25th October 2010, 04:36 PM
Here you go....Ashcroft Transmissions (http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=45)
What do you think? 186 Holden would be easy to fit an Ashcroft 5 sp conversion to standard series T/C? There is an adapter plate behind the 186 where the L/D GB bolts onto. All gearleavers come up through the same floor holes and to my knowledge the drive shafts are unmodified from T/C to Diffs.:confused:

Lotz-A-Landies
25th October 2010, 05:01 PM
What do you think? 186 Holden would be easy to fit an Ashcroft 5 sp conversion to standard series T/C? There is an adapter plate behind the 186 where the L/D GB bolts onto. All gearleavers come up through the same floor holes and to my knowledge the drive shafts are unmodified from T/C to Diffs.:confused:I think you need to re-read the information. Particularly the bit: "The gearbox length is increased by 102mm ", which suggests that either the Holden engine is moved another 4" forward and hence outside the front of the grill (on original 4 cyl models) or you have to move the gearbox 4" to the rear, making for an exceptionally short rear prop shaft in an 88" and the gear levers also having to be moved 4" rearwards.

The Out of Stock may also be of interest

pfillery
25th October 2010, 08:02 PM
You could modify the front radiator support panel and move it forward much like on a stage 1 where it is level with the front of the guards. That would give you extra room.

Seems like fitting an overdrive is a lot simpler.

Eddie S
25th October 2010, 09:30 PM
You could modify the front radiator support panel and move it forward much like on a stage 1 where it is level with the front of the guards. That would give you extra room.

Seems like fitting an overdrive is a lot simpler.
Yes mate sounds like it, I use to have the Fairey O/D but its in bits stuffed. Thanks all the same.:(

Eddie S
25th October 2010, 09:35 PM
I think you need to re-read the information. Particularly the bit: "The gearbox length is increased by 102mm ", which suggests that either the Holden engine is moved another 4" forward and hence outside the front of the grill (on original 4 cyl models) or you have to move the gearbox 4" to the rear, making for an exceptionally short rear prop shaft in an 88" and the gear levers also having to be moved 4" rearwards.

The Out of Stock may also be of interest
It was a 6 cylinder origionally, not sure of the Holden conversion kit could be Marks adapters. Not sure of shafts 100% though. I ment with the original gearbox set up as it is nom, sorry.

Jimmy
27th October 2010, 12:36 PM
Slightly off topic, but for arguments sake, if you adapted a 200tdi engine and gearbox to a series 3 transfer case via an Ashcroft conversion (former 6cly engine), how does the transfer and rest of the original running gear perform? I guess I'm trying to establish if the newer engine and gear box would be held back by the transfer case or diffs or whether they will run ok?

If that is all ok, then the engine/gearbox/ashcroft would be a pretty reasonably option rather that just a roverdrive overdrive? (apart from cost of course)

Jim

chazza
27th October 2010, 07:27 PM
From what I have read Jimmy, the 200tdi is so powerful that the diff ratios will be holding back top speed somewhat; so on my project I eventually want to fit a Roverdrive to give more relaxed cruising.

I like the overdrive option because it can be taken off the car and put on the next one, more easily than swapping the transfer gears; however; the high ratio transfer gears would be just as effective and cheaper as well,

Cheers Charlie

Jimmy
28th October 2010, 11:21 AM
Interesting, So the roverdrive, 200TDI/box to transfer case conversion or high ratio transfer gears would all be good options depending on your wallet size.

Incidentally, I thought the 200TDi had about the same output as a 186 holden, so presumably the diffs would be an issue on all options?

Jimmy

Lotz-A-Landies
28th October 2010, 11:39 AM
We're talking about a 109" aren't we? If that's the case it's not the strength of the diff, it's the final drive ratio where you come into issues. It's the RPM = speed = fuel consumption/economy.

The LT77 gearbox in 5th gives an overdrive ratio almost the same as the Roverdrive ratio. The hi-speed transfer gives a little taller 4th gear ratio (about 4%) as both the LT77 5th and Roverdrive, but you also lose the equivalent of 1st gear ratio. It's like adding 5th and losing 1st.

Remember the TDi200/300 run on 3.54:1 diff ratios and in the Defender a 1.41:1 transfer case Hi ratio on 7.50 16 tyres or Discovery 1.222:1 Hi-ratio on 6.50 16 tyres, the series Hi transfer ratio is 1.2:1 on 4.7:1 diff ratio.

will d8r
28th October 2010, 07:06 PM
I did the exercise a few years ago and found the cheapest & easyest for the most reliable way to increase speed & keep the rev's down was the roverdrive no worries about oil cause it use's transfer case oil it's very quite will criuse at 100k all day. I read somewhere someone made the fairy overdrive sump bigger & made a big difference in quiteness & more reliable

landrover dave
2nd November 2010, 07:58 PM
I did the exercise a few years ago and found the cheapest & easyest for the most reliable way to increase speed & keep the rev's down was the roverdrive no worries about oil cause it use's transfer case oil it's very quite will criuse at 100k all day. I read somewhere someone made the fairy overdrive sump bigger & made a big difference in quiteness & more reliable
I spent $1000 and put a high speed transfer case behind a suffix c 2a box in my s3 with 202. Cruise at 100kmh all day topped out at 140kmh. The Holden 6 was in its normal operating range at 100 which is approx 2600 rpm. Much more reliable than an overdrive.

Lotz-A-Landies
2nd November 2010, 09:24 PM
I spent $1000 and put a high speed transfer case behind a suffix c 2a box in my s3 with 202. Cruise at 100kmh all day topped out at 140kmh. The Holden 6 was in its normal operating range at 100 which is approx 2600 rpm. Much more reliable than an overdrive.You are talking about Fairey and Toro Overdrives when you talk about poor reliability. I have not heard of Roverdrives being unreliable.

Further the Hi-Speed transfer case does not overcome the loss of first gear in high-range, which is more important with a Holden engine that develops it's torque at high revs.

waughloch
22nd March 2011, 11:22 PM
Hey guys.
Google Roverdrive and you will see and can read all about them. I ordered one for my Series III with 202 Holden motor. I have attached pictures of a Roverdrive and a Fairy overdrive. Have owned a Land Rover with Fairy OD and it was good I'm guessing that my Roverdrive unit will be even better. Fairy OD can only be used in 3rd & 4th Hi box Roverdrive you can use in all gears forward and reverse according to the factory. I hope this helps Fairy OD can be purchased from Rovers down south an American company they make them brand new. They also have service manuals and parts.

waughloch
12th December 2011, 04:11 PM
I should think so its now 12/12/2011 Hope you are still washing your potty mouth out???

123rover50
12th December 2011, 08:03 PM
I should think so its now 12/12/2011 Hope you are still washing your potty mouth out???

:(:(:o:o

waughloch
17th December 2012, 09:35 PM
YES! I have one and its great. I have a 202 with electronic ignition and 350 holley carb. she do 140kmh flat out. I stalk unsuspecting Toymotors now lol
They tremble at the sight of me Rover in flight!

mick88
16th February 2013, 09:49 PM
YES! I have one and its great. I have a 202 with electronic ignition and 350 holley carb. she do 140kmh flat out. I stalk unsuspecting Toymotors now lol
They tremble at the sight of me Rover in flight!

I see you have a modified chassis cross member!
Did you do it or was it already done before you purchased the vehicle?

Cheers, Mick.

Landy Smurf
5th August 2013, 06:06 PM
does anyone have an older roverdrive unit that looks like a fairey ??

Lotz-A-Landies
8th August 2013, 04:41 PM
Its not a Toro Overdrive is it?

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2013/08/1276.jpg

Landy Smurf
8th August 2013, 05:17 PM
It does look a bit like a toro from memory but the thing that confused me is on the gear lever it had an 'R'. I will hopefully get some photos next week when I see the guy who has it.

mick88
21st August 2013, 08:03 PM
I have a Toro, Fairey and a Roverdrive here!
What do you want to know?

Cheers, Mick.

Landy Smurf
22nd August 2013, 08:38 PM
I am pretty sure it is a toro. what had me confused is on the selector stick it has a 'R' and someone wrote on the overdrive unit 'roverdrive' in texta so this is what had me stumped.

Homestar
22nd August 2013, 08:47 PM
Sorry to butt in here, but does anyone know if Roamerdrive ever got the overdrive for the LT95 sorted or if they intend to market one at any stage?

andy_d110
23rd August 2013, 08:38 PM
My Toro has the R on the selector knob. It's a beautiful thing, my 88" with 2.25 and 6.50 tyres will sit on 110kph easy!

A lot quieter than my mates Fairey on his 2a, they hold a fair bit of oil which no doubt helps the lifespan of the bearings and running surfaces...

Landy Smurf
23rd August 2013, 08:43 PM
Thanks andy that si the answer I need. It is definitely a toro then. I check the dog gear and it is in perfect condition so i should grab it then