PDA

View Full Version : KEG STARTUP & COSTS

LOVEMYRANGIE
29th October 2010, 11:52 PM
Getting closer to doing a keg setup but havent really been able to make up my mind on equipment.

What reccomendations does everyone have for a kit and roughly how much?

Cheers

Andrew

LandyAndy
30th October 2010, 03:52 PM
Hi Andrew.
2 kegs,regulator,Co2(cheapest way in the city is to own your own bottle and get it filled),Tap.(I have a Pluto gun that stays in the fridge as my fridge is in the dusty shed).
Look on Ebay,there is a mob over east doing starter kits really cheap.The above will cost you around $400 in Perth.
Buy an extra GAS connect(they are different to the draw connect) and a T piece.Your second keg then can be getting gassed/ageing whilst you drink the first.
Andrew

LandyAndy
30th October 2010, 04:58 PM
Andrew
I went back and looked on Ebay to find the mob that were selling 6 kegs and the start up kit,was around $500 buy it now.It wasnt listed/couldnt find the add.Its a regular advertiser.If you do chance upon it I would be interested in 2 more kegs if it makes it more economical for you.
Andrew

Redback
30th October 2010, 05:26 PM
$400 is cheap for the one with only 2 kegs, so that includes the reg and the gas bottle Andy:confused:

LandyAndy
30th October 2010, 06:10 PM
Hi Baz
In Perth $400 gets you 2 kegs(secondhand tested OK) New Regulator,Tap,lines 1 gas and 1 draw disconnect.
You have to hire a BOC Co2 bottle or buy your own.
Extra kegs are around $90(secondhand tested OK)
Im ready to get another pair of kegs and a bigger fridge so I can run 2/prepare 2 kegs.
Mate the Milko has yet to come up with a display fridge for me.
Andrew

LOVEMYRANGIE
30th October 2010, 06:22 PM
Hi Baz
In Perth $400 gets you 2 kegs(secondhand tested OK) New Regulator,Tap,lines 1 gas and 1 draw disconnect.
You have to hire a BOC Co2 bottle or buy your own.
Extra kegs are around $90(secondhand tested OK)
Im ready to get another pair of kegs and a bigger fridge so I can run 2/prepare 2 kegs.
Mate the Milko has yet to come up with a display fridge for me.
Andrew

Hmmmm, commercial fridge.... I may be able to help here, Coke & Pepsi display types....

LandyAndy
30th October 2010, 07:19 PM
Hmmmm, commercial fridge.... I may be able to help here, Coke & Pepsi display types....

Thats them,Milko Mate keeps saying he can get me one but hasnt come good yet.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Andrew

LOVEMYRANGIE
31st October 2010, 10:18 PM
Will be looking at buying a keg setup after i get back from Kalbarri end of January.

Redback
15th November 2010, 04:43 PM
Have a look at Aussie Brewer, he has start up kits for $299 on special

Keg Systems (http://www.aussiebrewer.com.au/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=25&Itemid=65)

Baz.

beefy
15th November 2010, 04:51 PM
Andy,

may be i need to come down and check out your system and how you work it i am getting one for xmas so i will be in to it.

keith

Pedro_The_Swift
15th November 2010, 04:56 PM
Taste test?!?!

barstards!
:censored::rocket:

LandyAndy
19th November 2010, 06:46 PM
Andy,

may be i need to come down and check out your system and how you work it i am getting one for xmas so i will be in to it.

keith

No problems mate,happy to show you how its done and offer advice and a taste;););)
Andrew

LandyAndy
19th November 2010, 06:47 PM
Taste test?!?!

barstards!
:censored::rocket:

Your just as welcome if not MORE than welcome too Pedro,I would be happy to put you on the "drowned in the shed" list:p:p:p
Andrew

simonmelb
22nd November 2010, 10:43 AM
Hi Andrew

Ive been kegging for a long time (15+ years) so can offer a bit of advice.

I'd go for something like this from CraftBrewer:
Code: KEGSPECIAL
Name: Keg & Seal Kit - 4 KEG SPECIAL
$240.00 $240.00 Code: REGHARRIS601
Name: CO2 Regulator - Dual Gauge (Harris 601)
$95.00 $95.00 Code: BRONCOF&H
Name: Bronco Faucet & Hose
$14.90 $14.90 Tax Total: AUD $31.81 TOTAL: AUD $349.90 AUD Dollar TOTAL: $349.90
This would give you 4 kegs (with new seals), a good quality regulator and an inexpensive tap to get going.
All you need to do is add a gas bottle of your choice. Craftbrwer will shi the kegs for free to WA and throw the other stuff inside th kegs for free if they will fit.
If I was starting out now I would most likely buy the 2.6Kg Co2 bottle from Keg King at $199. This would last you roughly a Year and costs $25 to refil. Since you own it there is no hire cost. Its very small and light to take to mates places for a barby with your beer.

After you have some experience you can upgrade the taps - ie decide to either build your own bar and buy a chilled bar font with taps or make a 'kegerator' - ie a fridge or freezer with taps coming out.

Ive gone the build a bar route with an Andale flooded 3 tap font. Its made of jarrah and redgum.

Besides the kegging gear Id recommend a ~340L chest freezer to run at fridge temps, or if you have a big old beer firdge use that!

Have fun.
Cheers
Simon
-----------------

As per the RULZ ive added a pic.

Celtoid
22nd November 2010, 11:17 AM
Getting closer to doing a keg setup but havent really been able to make up my mind on equipment.

What reccomendations does everyone have for a kit and roughly how much?

Cheers

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I was at the point of giving up brewing 'cause I had very little spare time and was sick of washing, priming and capping bottles.

I took the plunge and went eBaying. Gokegging (I think) are here on the East coast. $5-600 for a stainless front kegorator (twin tap on a chrome font) with most bits and bobs. I originally got two 19l Cornelious kegs through them but found them cheaper on another eBay site....bringing it up to 4 kegs. I then sourced a small gas bottle (filled) through eBay too. Local brew shop suppllied a couple of plumbing bits, as the original was set up for bigger kegs with a different fitting.

All up, under $1K I think and I've never looked back!

I have two kegs on the go at once....usually staggered to prevent embarrassing run-outs. And two maturing in my office at home. Depending on how you set them up, I think you can fit three kegs inside the usual kegorator (with Cornelious kegs)....one chilling and two on tap.

It's worth the effort and the coin. I'm sure with a bit of shopping around you could do better too.

Cheers,

Kev.

adonuff
13th May 2012, 04:17 PM
Hi Andrew,

I was at the point of giving up brewing 'cause I had very little spare time and was sick of washing, priming and capping bottles.

I took the plunge and went eBaying. Gokegging (I think) are here on the East coast. $5-600 for a stainless front kegorator (twin tap on a chrome font) with most bits and bobs. I originally got two 19l Cornelious kegs through them but found them cheaper on another eBay site....bringing it up to 4 kegs. I then sourced a small gas bottle (filled) through eBay too. Local brew shop suppllied a couple of plumbing bits, as the original was set up for bigger kegs with a different fitting.

All up, under $1K I think and I've never looked back!

I have two kegs on the go at once....usually staggered to prevent embarrassing run-outs. And two maturing in my office at home. Depending on how you set them up, I think you can fit three kegs inside the usual kegorator (with Cornelious kegs)....one chilling and two on tap.

It's worth the effort and the coin. I'm sure with a bit of shopping around you could do better too.

Cheers,

Kev.

Hi Kev & everyone
I am going in the same direction, just ordered a Kegorator, Think it will be a steep learning curve. I have made home brew in the past but also got sick of the bottles. Got 2 brews fermenting while I await delivery and hopefully will get started in a weeks time.
Found some good hints on here so far and if anyone else has experiance in this area would be good to hear more!

LandyAndy
13th May 2012, 04:59 PM
You wont regret it.
Kegerators hold 2 kegs dont they????
If so you will need 2 spare kegs and a cool place to store the beer.My beer fridge holds 4 kegs,I keep 2 on the gas,1 of them on tap.You will find it takes 4 or 5 days do gas up a keg,so if you buy a "T" piece and spare gas connect your second keg will "condition" much better whilst drinking the first.
I dont sterilize my kegs between brews.They are filled with C02 so nothing seems to "live" in them.Simply rinse out with hot water then put some boiling water in seal and swill around,all ready to go.
The 2 spare kegs will enable you to keep going brewing 2 batches at once.
ENJOY
Andrew

Aussie
14th May 2012, 10:57 AM
I had to slow right down on Brewing beer, I was getting very fat. Having beer in the fridge ALL the time was just too tempting for me...lol I've always wanted to move to the Keg option but feared I will end up looking like one.

adonuff
14th May 2012, 06:35 PM
You wont regret it.
Kegerators hold 2 kegs dont they????
If so you will need 2 spare kegs and a cool place to store the beer.My beer fridge holds 4 kegs,I keep 2 on the gas,1 of them on tap.You will find it takes 4 or 5 days do gas up a keg,so if you buy a "T" piece and spare gas connect your second keg will "condition" much better whilst drinking the first.
I dont sterilize my kegs between brews.They are filled with C02 so nothing seems to "live" in them.Simply rinse out with hot water then put some boiling water in seal and swill around,all ready to go.
The 2 spare kegs will enable you to keep going brewing 2 batches at once.
ENJOY
Andrew
Hi Andrew
I think mine holds 3 kegs, 2 on tap with space for a 3rd chilling. Should be enough?? If not will get a fourth keg. The not steralising sounds a bit scary but will give it a go when I get it all working. Still waiting for delivery, got 2 brews bubbling away, cant wait. Still going to be a steep learning curve, but what better incentive could be had?

Will give an update/scream for help when I get it.

LandyAndy
15th May 2012, 06:36 PM
3 is good under refrigeration,the beer will condition better the more time it sits in the kegs.4 kegs fits in well with 2 fermenters.Just as easy to do the 2 brews at once as 1.
Slurping on a Coopers Australian Pale Ale with Coopers brew sugar no2 at the moment,mmmmmmmm.Next keg is Coopers Stout,with 2 brew tins and 1kg of sugar.
Andrew

jazzaD1
15th May 2012, 08:07 PM
i have recently converted to kegs, and will soon have 3 in a keezer setup, which consists of a chest freezer with a wooden insulated collar to raise the lid up to allow for more depth in the freezer, also a handy place to attach the 3 perlick taps i am going to have.

It is controlled with a PID controller, set to on/off mode instead of PID, it reads from a thermocouple, and is accurate to within 0.2 deg.C, it drives a solid state relay which turns the freezer on and off

For my first keg, I had it set to 2.5 degrees, and worked great, once it was down to temperature, it only switched on for a couple of minutes an hour

Unfortunately, the novelty of having a keg in the garage did not/has not worn off, and i emptied the thing way too quickly!

guys, do yourself a favour, and ditch the 1kg of sugar in your brewing, replace it with at least some dried malt extract, your taste buds will thank you!

my next brew will be using the method of BIAB, basically it is all grain using a 40L urn and a mesh bag, it takes a lot more time than kit brewing, and there is more to get wrong, but they say the improvement in taste and 'freshness' is worth it, I can't wait, I hope to get the next brew underway next weekend

adonuff
20th May 2012, 01:43 PM
Its Here:):):):)
Got it all up and running mid last week, after a few minor teething problems we are now drinking reasonably good beer. Second keg is in and carbonating. The only dramas so far was a stubborn disconnect on the gas line and a bit of a foam drama. Both probs now fixed.

Total cost if anyone is intrested $1100.00, Fridge with 2 Taps, (Kegorator from Keg- King) 3 Kegs with all new seals etc. Regulator etc. Very happy so far looks neat & tidy in the pool room.

Would have built my own and saved a few bucks which I'm shure would have worked just as well but work commitments don't leave me with much time.

Redback
20th May 2012, 03:28 PM
Its Here:):):):)
Got it all up and running mid last week, after a few minor teething problems we are now drinking reasonably good beer. Second keg is in and carbonating. The only dramas so far was a stubborn disconnect on the gas line and a bit of a foam drama. Both probs now fixed.

Total cost if anyone is intrested $1100.00, Fridge with 2 Taps, (Kegorator from Keg- King) 3 Kegs with all new seals etc. Regulator etc. Very happy so far looks neat & tidy in the pool room.

Would have built my own and saved a few bucks which I'm shure would have worked just as well but work commitments don't leave me with much time.

Great work, you won't look back;)

Now as with all sections, we need pics, thems the:rulez:no exceptions:spudnikconfounded:
Baz:twobeers:

LandyAndy
21st May 2012, 08:06 PM
GOOD NEWS:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
We need some new blood in here,the old Hombrew has gone a bit flat of recent times.
Andrew

adonuff
22nd May 2012, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the welcome
Will take pics and post them soon
Having a few dramas, the reg is faulty and I am currently creating enough foam to put out a serious oil fire. Still tastes good when settled but takes way too long to pour a glass!
Replacement reg is on the way. At the moment I can set the pressure at 10 psi and an hour later I have 50psi:mad:

Redback
23rd May 2012, 07:15 AM
For the time being, set the pressure then disconnect the keg from the gas bottle, only use it to re-gas to pouring pressure, that should help until you get the new reg.

Also don't leave it with the reg open, turn it off until it drops below pouring pressure, 40 to 60psi is a good pressure to leave it at to keep it carbonated if leaving for a long period, 40psi should be a good pouring pressure.

If your getting to much head, you may have over carbonated it, if you think it is, then disconnect it, take it out of the fridge, let the gas out and leave it for 12 to 24 hours letting the gas out every now and then, put it back and re-connect it and try it once it gets cold again.

Baz.

adonuff
23rd May 2012, 05:50 PM
Thanks Redback
Thats what I did and it got me through the night. All is well now got the new reg and for the first time can now pour a proper beer, I thought it was me overgassing the keg but now realise the reg was to blame.

Only prob I now have is everyone wants to try it. The kegs getting empty fairly quick. Might have to get a third fermenter and a few more kegs. Especially since the Lady of the house has requested Ginger beer on tap.

See below for a few pics.

disco spargs
23rd May 2012, 07:40 PM
Have the same keg king set up awesome gear!!

adonuff
24th May 2012, 06:55 PM
We are really happy too
I just got lucky and have convinced the girlfriend we need a couple more kegs. Only so I have room for her ginger beer:). What I need to know is can I carbonate a keg and store it?? If so does it need to be refrigerated?

I want to get a few Kegs in front and not sure how to store them. The little fridge will take 3 kegs, 1 cooling and 2 on tap.

The Ginger beer seems to be brewing up well judging by the fumes and will proberly be an ongoing project, anyone else have a good recipie?

Sitting here with a grin consuming a great beer that cost not much. Waiting for the new fancy brew to finish (Recomended by the Home Brew Shop). It should end up like Kilkenny beer and better? Time will tell.

LandyAndy
24th May 2012, 08:55 PM
No need to fully carbonate for storage.
All I do with fresh kegs is connect to the C02 at pour pressure and "burp" the keg thru the release valve 3 or 4 times to ensure all the oxygen is removed.I then store in a coolish place disconnected from the C02 until required,NEVER had a keg go bad yet,even stored in the shed in an insulated cupboard during the heights of summer.
If you rinse the kegs with boiling water just before filling,there should be no or little oxygen in the keg.Oxygen is what destroys the brew.
I use a plastic hose on the fermenter to "bottom fill" the keg to avoid oxygenation via splashing the brew into the keg.
Andrew