PDA

View Full Version : Over-Saturated Beer

Celtoid
2nd December 2010, 10:11 AM
After my little regulator failure, which put full bottle pressure into my kegs for quite a few days, I now have an ice cream/thick-shake dispenser instead of a Kegorator.

I've tried bleeding all the pressure from the kegs and letting them sit but it hasn't worked. As soon as I add some gas to get the beer to pour, it's all froth again...takes ages to pour a beer.....:mad:

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Kev.

isuzurover
2nd December 2010, 11:08 AM
Sounds like you have created Boddingtons??? :D

How long have you left the kegs unpressurised? It will likely take as long for the CO2 to get out as it did to get in.

simonmelb
2nd December 2010, 11:57 AM
Hi Kev,

You need to keep bleeding until the Co2 in the beer has reached equilibrium at the correct temperature and pressure.

See this page: TastyBrew.com | Homebrewing Calculators | Kegging Carbonation Calculator (http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/carbonation.html)

eg at 5 deg C the pressure in the keg should eventually reach 12.8 PSI (88 Kpa) for a typical beer containing 2.5 volumes of Co2.

So keep bleeding until you get to the right pressure, then you'll be fine.

Redback
2nd December 2010, 02:45 PM
I've had this happen to me, I left the bleed open for a couple of days, once it was flat again I re-carbonated it in 2hr stages, 4hrs and it was all good again, well almost, just doesn't seem to taste as good after it's been over gased:( still drinkable though:D

Baz.

Celtoid
2nd December 2010, 03:25 PM
OK, guys, thanks for the input....more time bleeding the gas pressure sound like the trick.

I had been finishing up some stubbies that I had, so I hadn't had a beer out of the kegorator for almost a week....so dunno how long it was getting over-gassed. :(

I'll give it a try.

Thanks,

Kev.

LOVEMYRANGIE
5th December 2010, 01:26 AM
Maybe you could invent "Beer in a cone"!!!

Redback
8th December 2010, 01:52 PM
You wouldn't read about it:mad: I oversaturated mine yesterday, I have taken the keg out of the fridge and am now de-gassing it, what a pain:twisted:

Baz.

Celtoid
9th December 2010, 12:04 AM
You wouldn't read about it:mad: I oversaturated mine yesterday, I have taken the keg out of the fridge and am now de-gassing it, what a pain:twisted:

Baz.

LOL, OK....I think we've jinxed this thread.....

I managed to de-gas both kegs but you're right...it doesn't taste quite the same....but I don't need a spoon now. ;)

However, I mustn't have had a decent seal on one of the kegs or lines....as I've drained the bloody gas bottle again....only got it filled on the weekend......ggggggrrrrrrrrr:mad:

Redback
9th December 2010, 07:46 AM
LOL, OK....I think we've jinxed this thread.....

I managed to de-gas both kegs but you're right...it doesn't taste quite the same....but I don't need a spoon now. ;)

However, I mustn't have had a decent seal on one of the kegs or lines....as I've drained the bloody gas bottle again....only got it filled on the weekend......ggggggrrrrrrrrr:mad:

I have done that too:mad: I now check for leaks before I leave it to carbonate, what I do now is, turn the gas on, bring it up to pressure(270Kpa) turn the gas bottle off and give it 5 to 10min, then if it hasn't dropped pressure in that time, I turn the gas back on and leave it at that pressure it will show if it has a leak, on some occasions I've even heard the leak and 90% of the time it's been the screw lid the other times it's been the pressure release valve(I have Coca Cola kegs) my 45lt keg is a Penfolds wine keg.

Baz.

Celtoid
9th December 2010, 10:53 AM
I use the Cornelious 19L kegs and they can be a bit finiky to seal....but usually only at low pressure.

NORMALLY......:(....I crack up the pressure and then back it off. I was in a rush and forgot to do that....so I'm assuming that was the issue.

isuzurover
9th December 2010, 11:13 AM
soapy water in a spray bottle will find the leaks.

Redback
9th December 2010, 12:14 PM
Hi Ben yeah Ive done that too, I find it easier to the pressure test though.

Baz.

Celtoid
9th December 2010, 02:32 PM
Dude in the Brew Shop only charged me half price for the refill....:)

Redback
9th December 2010, 03:12 PM
Dude in the Brew Shop only charged me half price for the refill....:)

Bonus, gotta be happy with that:D

Oh by the way don't take any notice of the edit by me at the bottom of your post......I hit the wrong botton, hit edit instead of quote:bangin:

I didn't change anything, honest:angel:

Baz.

Celtoid
12th December 2010, 01:06 PM
Bonus, gotta be happy with that:D

Oh by the way don't take any notice of the edit by me at the bottom of your post......I hit the wrong botton, hit edit instead of quote:bangin:

I didn't change anything, honest:angel:

Baz.

Didn't even notice....LOL!!!