PDA

View Full Version : Stall recovery

theresanothersteve
3rd December 2010, 03:39 PM
I've been fortunate enough to recieve off road training in someone else's 10 tonne truck and liked the concept of a stall recovery to get out of trouble.

It worked with our Disco 1 but now we've traded up to a Disco 3 with an auto box.

Obviously stall recovery will not work with an auto:eek:.

What is the recommended technique for getting out of trouble with the auto? (Or is that why HDC is becomming so prevelant?)

Cheers

BigJon
3rd December 2010, 03:42 PM
Foot on brake. Select reverse. Foot off brake.

theresanothersteve
3rd December 2010, 04:02 PM
Thanks, BigJon.

Basically what I thought - at least with the auto you don't get a mass of torque going to the wheels as the clutch engages...

Xtreme
3rd December 2010, 04:27 PM
Thanks, BigJon.

Basically what I thought - at least with the auto you don't get a mass of torque going to the wheels as the clutch engages...

???? Clutch should not be disengaged with a manual during stall recovery. :o

BigJon
3rd December 2010, 06:31 PM
???? Clutch should not be disengaged with a manual during stall recovery. :o

Yes it is.

Going uphill.

Vehicle forward progress stops (wheel spin).
Firmly brake to stall the engine.
Apply handbrake.
Gently and slowly push clutch pedal in.
Select reverse gear.
Let clutch pedal out.
Take handbrake off.
Slowly and gently release foot brake, allowing load to be transferred back to driveline.
Start engine (no clutch!) and reverse down slope.

If you stall the engine in gear, there is no way you will get it out of gear without using the clutch (driveline will be loaded in a "forward direction").

Xtreme
3rd December 2010, 08:10 PM
Yes it is.

Going uphill.

Vehicle forward progress stops (wheel spin).
Firmly brake to stall the engine.
Apply handbrake.
Gently and slowly push clutch pedal in.
Select reverse gear.
Let clutch pedal out.
Take handbrake off.
Slowly and gently release foot brake, allowing load to be transferred back to driveline.
Start engine (no clutch!) and reverse down slope.

If you stall the engine in gear, there is no way you will get it out of gear without using the clutch (driveline will be loaded in a "forward direction").

Spot on BigJon

But what the OP implied by stating "you don't get a mass of torque going to the wheels as the clutch engages..." was that the clutch was being engaged at the start of the recovery while the motor was running.
A keystart with clutch engaged (as your last point states) will produce a smooth start to the recovery.

I must try to be more explicit in future.

theresanothersteve
4th December 2010, 08:16 AM
Spot on BigJon

But what the OP implied by stating "you don't get a mass of torque going to the wheels as the clutch engages..." was that the clutch was being engaged at the start of the recovery while the motor was running.
A keystart with clutch engaged (as your last point states) will produce a smooth start to the recovery.

I must try to be more explicit in future.

I was agreeing with BigJon in that the idea behind a stall recovery was to start the vehicle in gear with the clutch engaged, that way there isn't a torque surge as you try to take off in a conventional manner.