PDA

View Full Version : L322 Car Jack warning

Civil Engineer
13th December 2010, 11:40 AM
Before looking at all new add ons, the first thing to do is to go to the boot of your L322, lift the lid, take out the jack and throw it in the bin. Period. I might have just saved your life. I changed a rear tyre the other day, nothing special, just prior to putting on the spare the jack collapsed, with the center thread completely bend. Luckily i was at home and have a spare jack and was not bending/ crouching near the well when it happened. But seriously, who puts a jack in a car that cannot support it's weight properly??? I love the car and fortunately there wasn't a lot of damage, but now looking at a replacement jack and thought a word of warning should be in place.

PAT303
13th December 2010, 08:08 PM
Mine went in the bin also.The biggest trouble is finding a replacement,the D3 model is just as bad. Pat

cairnsrover
15th December 2010, 11:35 AM
thanks for that info better to know this before I am at the back of whoop whoop and finding out then.

any ideas about replacement jack anyone ?

101RRS
15th December 2010, 11:40 AM
The D1 jacks were very good.

PAT303
15th December 2010, 05:22 PM
thanks for that info better to know this before I am at the back of whoop whoop and finding out then.

any ideas about replacement jack anyone ?

Mine broke in the middle of woop woop,try and cross axle a L322 enough to get a wheel off,trust me it an't easy:o. Pat

ariddell
16th December 2010, 02:22 PM
The jack on our L322 is called the RACV card and mobile phone to call them... :)

Scouse
16th December 2010, 02:25 PM
The D1 jacks were very good.Just check them from time to time as they have a habit of losing their oil.

There is a tutorial in here somewhere on rebuilding them though.

Civil Engineer
20th December 2010, 10:27 AM
Ordered one of these:

Trade Quip 10,000KG Bottle Jack 3 Stage

Min height 230mm
Max height 535 mm

$115 will let you know how good or bad it is, can't be any worse than the original.

Blknight.aus
20th December 2010, 10:54 AM
Just check them from time to time as they have a habit of losing their oil.

There is a tutorial in here somewhere on rebuilding them though.

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/projects-tutorials/31260-rebuilding-red-rover-jack-contains-1-2mb-offsite-images.html

harlie
21st December 2010, 03:50 PM
My jack failed too. At home while doing the brakes, those stands are worth their....

SuperchargedSport
21st December 2010, 05:46 PM
Yep had the same thing happen. On river side drive in the city. Piece of junk... They should be over rated on the l322...

nightster1
29th December 2010, 01:44 AM
I agree with Civil Engineer, the standard jack is far too weak. You must use it with the wheel chocs to stop movement, coz if the car moves slightly when jacked up, the jack will collapse and buckle immediately. it happened to me. Anyone have a recommendation on a robust replacement jack?:confused:

alawman
14th January 2011, 10:19 PM
I agree the jack is dangerous. I have used it 8 times now and am ready to buy a bottle jack. It bows and became so off set that I had to lower the car down and start again. This was whilst rotating tyres on a flat concrete driveway. I thought of the dangers if doing it on dirt which might give slightly when jacking up. Definitely not up to the task. They must assume we all live in London, UK. Cheers

Camo
1st March 2011, 04:14 PM
Not wrong.. I just used the jack and never again! Ended up using my floor jack on the swingarm

Anyone know of a good replacement which could fit with the spare?

Cheers

Camo

harlie
1st March 2011, 09:34 PM
I purchased a bottle jack and made up some packing, it fits in behind the passenger side access panel in the boot area, there is heaps of space just need to be careful of 2 looms in the bottom but they have been lifted and secured higher, also means that it can be accessed without removing all the luggage if needed for a trailer or help someone else…