PDA

View Full Version : Air Jacks

101RRS
31st December 2010, 11:19 PM
I am looking at buying a air jack to carry in my RRS to help in those sticky situations. I had one about 30 years ago that worked OK but I found the hoses perished very quickly and exhaust leaks limited its ability. I am aware they are susceptible to punctures and the need to have protection padding.

There are versions on ebay for around $120 and of course from suppliers like ARB who charge a lot more but quality is probably a known quantity.

Any one got the ebay versions and can comment on how well they have lasted and overall quality.

Also for dual exhaust systems can you get bungs to block one system off - how does the engine like this?

Thanks

Garry

bee utey
31st December 2010, 11:39 PM
I bought a cheapie years ago, then got stuck in truck ruts on the Birdsville Track. Yes, I thought, get out the exhaust jack! Trouble was the mud lubricated the bag so well it kept popping out the side like a soap bubble. Had to wait 1/2 hour for a passing 4WD to pull me out, then a moment's work. So basically I think they are worse than useless in mud. Worked OK in sand though.

Blknight.aus
1st January 2011, 11:13 AM
thats what marine carpet is for. protects the bag and help stop slippage

PhilipA
1st January 2011, 12:22 PM
Also for dual exhaust systems can you get bungs to block one system off - how does the engine like this?

As has been explaioned in another recent thread , you can get bungs from medical suppliers.
What I did was to go to a suspension place and find a Poly bush the exact size of the exhaust. Then I bought an "eye" with a threaded shank and nut. I placed a big washer either end on the bush and when I wanted to use it , I just tightened up the eye with fingers which expanded the bush.
I has no additional effect on the engine than blocking one pipe with the airbag.
Regards Philip A

Mick_Marsh
1st January 2011, 01:32 PM
As has been explaioned in another recent thread , you can get bungs from medical suppliers.
What I did was to go to a suspension place and find a Poly bush the exact size of the exhaust. Then I bought an "eye" with a threaded shank and nut. I placed a big washer either end on the bush and when I wanted to use it , I just tightened up the eye with fingers which expanded the bush.
I has no additional effect on the engine than blocking one pipe with the airbag.
Regards Philip A
Check to see if there is a balance tube or common pipe or common muffler/catalytic converter between the two exhaust systems. If they are two completely independant systems, I wouldn't block the other pipe.

101RRS
7th January 2011, 02:43 PM
OK - decisions.

The basic model from ebay for about $120

The basic model from ARB for about $250, or

The upmarket model from ARB that has double thickness on the top and bottom, spikes in the top and bottom to stop it sliding around and the ability to fill from an air compressor for $350.

Garry

bee utey
7th January 2011, 02:52 PM
OK - decisions.

The basic model from ebay for about $120

The basic model from ARB for about $250, or

The upmarket model from ARB that has double thickness on the top and bottom, spikes in the top and bottom to stop it sliding around and the ability to fill from an air compressor for $350.

Garry
Go for the spiky one and you can say it's a fakir's pillow...

VladTepes
7th January 2011, 05:02 PM
Have a read of my latest trip report the one from teh Fraser clean up - that was a name brand one and it failed miserably !

Reads90
7th January 2011, 05:49 PM
What's wrong with a hi lift and base plate ?

Ali

Sent from my iPhone

VladTepes
7th January 2011, 06:10 PM
Whats wrong with them is that they are much more dangerous.

Reads90
7th January 2011, 06:27 PM
Whats wrong with them is that they are much more dangerous.

Quite right they are bloody dangerous in the wrong hands and you have to be careful but they do work

Sent from my iPhone

101RRS
7th January 2011, 08:32 PM
What's wrong with a hi lift and base plate ?

Ali

You need somewhere to to connect it to the car to lift it - plus a pain to carry inside.

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/

Happy to use them on my 101 but not really practical on a RRS - airbag fits easily inside and will lift enough to get the wheels up and something under them.

101RRS
7th January 2011, 08:54 PM
Vlad - I have heard of airbags blowing due to being punctured or from a weak spot due to the outer vinyl chaffing etc but not a seam splitting - can you post the manufactures' response.

I had a airbag over 30 years ago and the main issues were the exhaust perishing from the engine fumes and the bag getting chaffed down to the fabric. Mine continued to work Ok but in the end I was not able to get the rubber filler hose so got rid of it. They are OK but precautions are needed.

I also had a high lift at the same time - in fact still got it - it is the most dangerous but also one of the most useful pieces of kit around. It was good a pushing my first series one sideways when you got hung up on tree stumps etc - but occasionally when lowering it would fall. There is plenty of places to put them on a "traditional" landrover but not so easy on an unmodded RRS.

An airbag will go well under the spare where there is little to puncture it and at the other end under the flat engine tray.

Garry

Reads90
7th January 2011, 09:23 PM
You need somewhere to to connect it to the car to lift it - plus a pain to carry inside.

Happy to use them on my 101 but not really practical on a RRS - airbag fits easily inside and will lift enough to get the wheels up and something under them.

Yeah your right maybe I should read the whole post first d'oh

I have always looked at these air jack, so reading with interest I did not know there were so many different types

Sent from my iPhone

rrturboD
8th January 2011, 09:54 AM
Gary, LRC-ACT has at least one in its recovery gear collection, I am sure you could borrow for 'evaluation' to help you decide which one to buy.

Hoges
8th January 2011, 06:34 PM

stop posting those lurid forest track photos please...they're making me homesick:mad::p

Fish78
8th January 2011, 10:24 PM
I got an Airjack from Supercheap on sale a little while ago, it was around $75 i think and comes with a carrybag.

I haven't had to use it off-road yet but tested it in the driveway and it was ok, i use some cheap car mats as protection.