PDA

View Full Version : Recovery Gear of E bay

DBKDISCO
14th January 2011, 01:24 PM
Hi, there
being new to 4WDriving (and loving it) I have been looking at some recovery gear such as drag chain and snatch straps, i have seen everything from gold platted to a rubber band.

I have seen a packages on ebag which are well under $100 with drag chain snatch straps tree trunk proector
anyone brought one? any ideas

thanks

VladTepes
14th January 2011, 01:51 PM
I'd avoid them myself.

Recovery gear is NOT the place you want to be looking to save $ on.

Hymie
14th January 2011, 05:35 PM
I'm with Vlad. Buy the best quality recovery gear you can.
Even if you only start off with a Snatch Strap and a set of rated Shackles.
Build your gear from that as you can afford it.

Tank
14th January 2011, 05:43 PM
Find a Rigging supply shop and buy good quality high tensile chain with hooks, a very handy recovery item, I bought a good snatch strap (topped 4WD Monthly snatch strap tests a few years back) from Supercheap (still haven't used it).
You should be able to buy quality chain from Truck Supplies/Spares outlets, someone on here bought some cheap chain and posted pics showing at least one of the links not welded, a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link, Regards Frank.

Nero
14th January 2011, 08:59 PM
The obvious question is where do you drive and under what circumstances? Snatch straps and the like are only useful if you have another vehicle to attach them too. If you drive down beaches a lot a good shovel and some sand ladders are probably more useful.

pawl
16th January 2011, 05:19 PM
Always look for rated gear, or NATA tested/rated. A lot of the cheaper stuff isn't rated. Ask them and see what they say. I asked one seller if his straps were rated and his reply was "no, that is why they are at that price". I walked away. Some of the sellers are reputable and sell the rated gear, check the prices, sometimes the cost is it similar to what who can get at any good 4wd shop and without the postage.

DBKDISCO
17th January 2011, 10:40 AM
Thanks Guys for the advice,
I will build up my gear slowly now and not cut on price,
forgot that to use a snatch strap you need someone else :D