PDA

View Full Version : Better seats / 200 tdi conversion

andy_d110
20th January 2011, 11:44 PM
G'day all, chasing some more comfortable seats for our series lwb. Any ideas what fits in easily from another type of car? Also trying to convince management of the benefits of a 200tdi conversion. Are there any in Perth that are running around?

Cheers,
Andy.

JayBoRover
21st January 2011, 12:07 AM
Hi Andy.
I'll be watching the responses to this thread closely:).

I have seen a couple of Series advertised at times boasting "Defender seats" so I'm guessing they fit in pretty easily. I am concerned at how long the seat base is for ease of ingress/egress and also whether the seat backs are likely to interfere with my cargo barrier. I have heard that the Defender seats are pretty reasonable for comfort and it would be great to not sweat so much onto the vinyl of the standard Series seat squabs:cool:.

I doubt I could convince SWMBO to allow the 200tdi conversion, but I'd be very interested in seeing/experiencing one.

Cheers
John B

Jeff
21st January 2011, 04:44 PM
I have heard Defender seats will fit straight in, even using the same holes. I cannot confirm it, I only read about it in LRO magazine many years ago about a resto 2A that was a daily driver in the UK. The bodies are almost identical in the seat area, so they should fit easily, but like the single cab 110utes, hardtops or anything with a bulkhead, they might not slide back as far as they do in a wagon. If you have a cargo barrier it might be worthwhile to move it back a little.

Jeff

:rocket:

JDNSW
21st January 2011, 05:49 PM
Defender seats are bolt in as far as I am aware. Also, unlike most other alternatives, have removable seats to allow access to the toolbox. Centre seats for Defenders, however, are quite rare, but can be ordered new from the UK. Note that any change in seats will require engineering approval in most states.

You might consider the high seat backs fitted optionally to late Series 3 - I have these, and they are notably more comfortable than the lower back seats fitted to 2as. And, of course, cushions and upholstery in good condition is an improvement regardless of the type of seat.

John

peterg1001
21st January 2011, 06:15 PM
I have heard Defender seats will fit straight in, even using the same holes.

Just like this . . .

Wolfman_TWP
23rd January 2011, 08:36 PM
Just like this . . .

Where did you get the seat covers for the Defender seats from?? I've been looking around for covers (Which go over the top of the normal coverings)

Wolf

peterg1001
24th January 2011, 07:35 PM
Where did you get the seat covers for the Defender seats from?? I've been looking around for covers (Which go over the top of the normal coverings)

I got them from Canterbury Seat Covers Canterbury Seat Covers - Welcome To Our Amazing Website! (http://www.canterburyseatcovers.com.au/content.cfm?id=652).

They had to be specially made, and cost $269, which is a fair whack.

That said, they're very good. They had several patterns for Defenders, so I took a seat in and they made sure they were making the right thing.

If you go there, they're the place with the green driveway, not the place next door on the corner.

Peter

Wolfman_TWP
24th February 2011, 06:19 PM
I've just put Defender seats into my 1974 LWB. I used and modified the original seat mounts, so the seats sit in the correct place. And removed the rear brackets. These seats are a later model, so they only have a single mount point, which sits nicely on the upper middle raised channel, and helps raise the seat as well.. (I noticed that they bolt them directly to the seat box in the Defenders?! :huh: )

Wolf

Edit: Forgot to add the other pic..