PDA

View Full Version : 3.0L Diesel any good for towing?

rangie85
3rd February 2011, 01:01 PM
Hi all,

Planning to upgrade my 95 4.6HSE P38 to an 02 L322. Can anybody speak with authority on the 3.0 diesel's towing credentials? I'm looking to tow a 1200kg boat, but more often than not with 4-5 adult passengers, and a bootfull of stuff.

Am I likely to find myself crawling up the lorry lanes on motorway hills like I used to with my 3.5 Classic?

I'm sure very few people can compare towing in 3.0 vs 4.4petrol but any experience shared would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks
Chris

magic bob
3rd February 2011, 08:41 PM
We have a 25ft (internal) caravan, weighs approx 2.7 tonnefully loaded, our l322 still hauls ass, absolutely no worries.
Magicbob :)

PAT303
3rd February 2011, 08:49 PM
IMHO the L322 Td6 is the most under rated tow vehicle there is.It'll tow 1200kg with ease. Pat

harlie
7th February 2011, 09:31 AM
Changed our (stage 2 chipped TD5) D2 for a standard L322 TD6. On paper the modified D2 has more power and torque and the L322 is heavier. But the L322 pulls the 2.7t boat a lot better; I assume it is due to the better transmission.

I don't really notice the camper behind. It weighed 920kg for our xmas trip.

Its over $1000 to add a tow bar to a L322 due to the electronics. There is also mods to those standard LR trailer electrics to cater for anything other than the basic 5 wire trailer..

Tpf
3rd February 2012, 04:17 PM
YES.
Tows great for braked or unbraked loads.
Even when loaded it still pulls well (but consumption rises). I put in sport mode. Electrics self level suspension and then lock it out which is good.
Obviously an electric brake controller is needed for larger braked loads. Also want to change the trnasfer and transmission oils as these seem to heat up more when old.
With a really heavy load it still pulls well but the fuel consumption goes up. Range is still usable however normally 900km worst 500km to a tank. The cruise control can cause the auto box to do a bit of searching while towing.

neil 90
3rd February 2012, 07:27 PM
I towed my classic back from a mates place on a hired car trailer and can honestly say it was supprisingly effortless, it towed brilliantly. really impressed me . great car whatever you want to do with it.

cheers

neil

jsp
8th February 2012, 02:55 PM
Whilst not as quick off at the lights as the 4.6 P38 in good mechanical nick, the TD6 L322 lugs so much easier than the P38.

The TD6 seems to go about its business at the same speed no matter if its just me in the car, or me with the misses and two others, assorted gear and a horse float with two horses behind.