PDA

View Full Version : Is this good buying ? L322 V8 ( early model Not sure of year yet)

danske
12th February 2011, 12:53 PM
Hi All

I have an oppty to purchase V8 black on black Vogue for $30K with all bells and whistles. My family knows the owner of the car and he is fastidious and has serviced / maintained car within an inch of its life. Apparently very good nick inside with 100,000 km's of country kays.

Question
1) what year did Vogue first come out ( 03 ?)
2) what petrol figures Ltrs / 100Km
3) any major recalls / issues such as tranny etc.
4) what was the standard wheel size ( 18, 19 , 20 ) for the 03 Vogue ( If thats what it is )

Thanks for your assistance in advance.

Danske

Laurie
12th February 2011, 04:03 PM
Danske
If it's as good as you say and the K's are that low for $30K it's a steal !!!
I believe the first Vogue's arrived in 2002 !
Fuel around 12 on H'way 15-17 around town, really depends on your right foot.
Diff's should have been done; Check oil in Auto,it should be changed every 60k-80k depends on if it's towing etc. LR said it's sealed for life, BUT they die (5k repair) if you don't change the ATF and filter. Many threads here on the auto if you look.
19" Wheels standard 20" wheels optional.

You can check build details of the car on the LR TOPIx site just register and use the VIN search.

Laurie

danske
12th February 2011, 04:27 PM
Thanks Laurie

I thought is was a good deal , and given its a wealthy family freind ,they are not trying to hide anything , but thats what the dealer would give them , so if we offer $31K , then he's happy.

Ill ask some further questions on year model and if he ahs servicinf records so I can see what was done.

tebone
14th February 2011, 09:26 AM
Hi Danska,
I have the first of the l322 vogue 02 model with 170k's. Look at the service history. My alternator,fuel pump, front propellor shaft have been replaced and plus all the standardard services. The transmission, you won't be able to check the fluid condition there is no dipstick. I have a service check list on what should be done at what km's if you need a copy. Service the transmission every 40k's. I live near Traralgon if you want to check mine out have have a yarn. Long term average 14.5km's/100. Standarded 19inch wheels. $31k is a good price for the km's but the wholesale price is just under $30K depending condition etc.
So far mine has been a really good car and you won't regret buying one.
Regards Paul

danske
14th February 2011, 01:30 PM
Hi Danska,
I have the first of the l322 vogue 02 model with 170k's. Look at the service history. My alternator,fuel pump, front propellor shaft have been replaced and plus all the standardard services. The transmission, you won't be able to check the fluid condition there is no dipstick. I have a service check list on what should be done at what km's if you need a copy. Service the transmission every 40k's. I live near Traralgon if you want to check mine out have have a yarn. Long term average 14.5km's/100. Standarded 19inch wheels. $31k is a good price for the km's but the wholesale price is just under $30K depending condition etc.
So far mine has been a really good car and you won't regret buying one.
Regards Paul

Thanks Paul.

I undersnd that there could be those things that go. I own , RRC 92 , Disco 03 and Defender 08 . so am wull aware of the parts that crap themsleves, and associated costs to repair. I guess with the nearest price of a Vogue on carsales being around $45K , then we are in good shape to repair these if they do go bust. Do you use Massaro Motors for servicing? I have been using INverloch Marine on the ourof warranty cars and they seem OK.

Id be doing mainly highway 100Km an hour kays in the vcar as we live on a property , and they seem to do better when doing these types of km's. My RRC 92 which has done 230 thousand , and a fair bit of rough work in the last 100km , stiull does not have sigle oil leak and compression is as if it was brand new and just run in. Sweet!

Is yours the 4.4l , as I see the Supercharged are 4.2l. I read that the 4.4 Jag is better which I think this one will have ?

tebone
14th February 2011, 04:41 PM
Hi,
Mine is a bmw 4.4 210kw. I am doing the services myself eg 10ltr castrol sport edge 5w-30, air filter and oil filter $160.
The jag 4.4 is 225kw, what i can tell is runs a higher static compression ratio maybe given it more power. I also live out on land so my km's are mainly country km's. They don't like going around town to much the fuel economy can climb quickly stopping and starting all the time.
If you are going to keep the car for a while it might pay to buy a scan tool to read and reset faults. I have just recently purchased a Actron auto scanner CP9580 $170 US. It could get you out of trouble sometime. On the other hand the vogues aren't to bad with the electronics. I will be traveling in remote area in the up coming holiday so thats why i brought one.
To service the transmission you can get the parts out of ZF in Sydney for around $80.
Regards Paul

big guy
14th February 2011, 08:24 PM
Have a look on Grays on line also, there is 2 on there atm.
One a 02 Vogue for under $20k and a 04 for just over $24k so far and one day to go.

Both are 4.4L V8's and high mileage, 200k km's but full history,

I drove a 4.2L SC model and boy, I love the cockpit, the position and the way it just moved so effortlessly.

Go for it.

danske
14th February 2011, 09:00 PM
Hi,
Mine is a bmw 4.4 210kw. I am doing the services myself eg 10ltr castrol sport edge 5w-30, air filter and oil filter $160.
The jag 4.4 is 225kw, what i can tell is runs a higher static compression ratio maybe given it more power. I also live out on land so my km's are mainly country km's. They don't like going around town to much the fuel economy can climb quickly stopping and starting all the time.
If you are going to keep the car for a while it might pay to buy a scan tool to read and reset faults. I have just recently purchased a Actron auto scanner CP9580 $170 US. It could get you out of trouble sometime. On the other hand the vogues aren't to bad with the electronics. I will be traveling in remote area in the up coming holiday so thats why i brought one.
To service the transmission you can get the parts out of ZF in Sydney for around $80.
Regards Paul

So how do I know which engine Is which ie bm or jag and which is better . I've read that the Jag was ? Is it a year model thing ?

tebone
15th February 2011, 09:20 AM
Hi,
4.4 M62 bmw motor finished early 05 with 440nm@3600 rpm.
The 4.4 Jag is late 05 with 420nm@4000rpm.
I have been happy with the bmw and haven't heard of any big problems with them.

Grumbles
15th February 2011, 09:44 AM
Given its known history, use and price that seems like a bargain to me. I would have snapped it up real quick. :D

rangie85
17th February 2011, 01:38 PM
This afternoon I just paid $32K for an 02 Vogue with the 4.4 and 170,000kms. Full RR service history is a must, I wouldn't have bought a Vogue from my mother with FSH. Check the oil leaks, rear main seal is expensive. The front diff should have been changed by now. There are a lot of them about, it's very much a buyers market for the older Vogues, I've been looking for about three weeks, and only one has sold (and mine makes two) There are a bunch of them about, so don't necessarily be tempted just because you know them and it's cheap, some hard bargaining will get most of them on the market down to that price. Private sale on these isn't much more than wholesale at the moment. On the same thread; I wouldn't get one unless you're looking to hang on to it for a while, they are difficult to shift (a damn site easier than the last model P38s) The beemer engine, bosch electronics are rock solid. Check the instrument display in the dash, if it has a load of dead pixels, beat the price down further, that's an expensive job. Equally, if you fancy a look at mine to get an idea about what the private sale market will get you for equivalent money, you are most welcome.

rangie85
17th February 2011, 01:44 PM
one other thing - i bought the ninth one i looked at, you can afford to be fussy, the reasons I walked away from the others were: instrument cluster lcd failing badly, unequal gaps between tyres and wheel arches (big big alarm bells if you see this), electronic seats / steering column not working fully, air conditioning not working, and lastly, broken cruise control. If you want any comparisons, I can point you at the ones on carsales I looked at, what the issues were, and what I negotiated them down to. PM me if you need any info

danske
18th February 2011, 12:56 PM
very good advice , thankyou, I guess if I was half as thorough in looking at potential cars as you , I would not have had half the cars I have ! :D

I agree on the fact that just because we know them doesnt mean its a bargain. However , its not going anywhere fast as he is waiting on the new Vogue Autobiogrpahy to arrive that he has ordered. ( wish i was waiting on that instead :()

As soon as I sight it and get some further details Ill report back on the validity of it being a "bargain".