PDA

View Full Version : Ashcroft high ratio transfer box

SnakeFeeder
13th February 2011, 01:55 AM
I'm looking for a bit more cruising speed at a bit less revs, and came across this:

Ashcroft Transmissions - High Ratio Transfer Case Kit (http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=43)

Does anyone here have any experience with these? I'm a little reluctant to go down the overdrive path, since from what I've read most people find them unbearably noisy.

Any thoughts?

Jeff
13th February 2011, 06:51 AM
Try in the 2 & 2A section.

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/series-2-2a/121141-ashcroft-transfer-case-kit.html

Jeff

:rocket:

wrinklearthur
13th February 2011, 08:01 AM
I'm looking for a bit more cruising speed at a bit less revs, and came across this:

Ashcroft Transmissions - High Ratio Transfer Case Kit (http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=43)

Does anyone here have any experience with these? I'm a little reluctant to go down the overdrive path, since from what I've read most people find them unbearably noisy.

Any thoughts?
Hi SnakeFeeder
Look at doing a serious upgrade for the brakes first, I would be using the disk brake conversion, and the main reason for that is, the larger drum brakes for the lwb six and stage one were not good in reverse.
There have been many of these rovers that have ended up in the drink while launching boats. :(
Cheers Arthur

garryseries3
13th February 2011, 08:52 AM

Any thoughts?

Hi I have had both the overdrive and High Ratio Transfer case (HSTC). The overdrive is noisy and people seem to say they are weak and require regular topping up of oil. The HSTC would be my suggestion I really love the one in my SWB, 1st gear taking off is not an issue and I can still take off in second on the flat which was great. It is my preferred choice some people say they are a little noisy but I am not convince the overdrive units are though. The only other option I would consider is the Rocky mountain overdrives but these are around the $2400 which is a lot of cash to put into a series, you would have to keep it for life to make it worth doing. The HSTC will set you $1000 or slightly less.
Kindest regards Garry

pfillery
13th February 2011, 11:49 AM
I wonder what the postage would be like from the UK on one of these kits? I know the kits are around $1000 in Australia, at 255 pounds plus 75 pounds changeover which it would not be worth sending your old casing back over for, plus postage, would it work out better? Not sure about exchange rates but usually 1:2 most times which is about $650 plus postage.

Bout the same cost as lpg fittment by my reckoning. 40% fuel saving with lpg, wonder what the saving would be with a transfer case kit?

SnakeFeeder
13th February 2011, 01:33 PM
Try in the 2 & 2A section.

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/series-2-2a/121141-ashcroft-transfer-case-kit.html

Jeff

:rocket:

Hi SnakeFeeder
Look at doing a serious upgrade for the brakes first, I would be using the disk brake conversion, and the main reason for that is, the larger drum brakes for the lwb six and stage one were not good in reverse.
There have been many of these rovers that have ended up in the drink while launching boats. :(
Cheers Arthur

Hi I have had both the overdrive and High Ratio Transfer case (HSTC). The overdrive is noisy and people seem to say they are weak and require regular topping up of oil. The HSTC would be my suggestion I really love the one in my SWB, 1st gear taking off is not an issue and I can still take off in second on the flat which was great. It is my preferred choice some people say they are a little noisy but I am not convince the overdrive units are though. The only other option I would consider is the Rocky mountain overdrives but these are around the $2400 which is a lot of cash to put into a series, you would have to keep it for life to make it worth doing. The HSTC will set you $1000 or slightly less.
Kindest regards Garry

Thanks for all the responses....I'm thinking now the whole thing is probably best forgotten! I've only had the truck a little while so perhaps I just need to get used it and realign my internal clock to 'Land Rover Time'....:ohyes:

garryseries3
13th February 2011, 10:10 PM
Thanks for all the responses....I'm thinking now the whole thing is probably best forgotten! I've only had the truck a little while so perhaps I just need to get used it and realign my internal clock to 'Land Rover Time'....:ohyes:

Yes landy time sounds good if you have the 6cyl model I still think the HSTC would be a great benifit slowing the motor done at speed might even put you in a time warp. The price from ashcrofts in the uk is the the way to go to save costs. As for brakes and all the other modifications yes they are great but are they that necessary for your needs.
Kindest regards
Garry

SnakeFeeder
14th February 2011, 12:20 AM
Yes landy time sounds good if you have the 6cyl model I still think the HSTC would be a great benifit slowing the motor done at speed might even put you in a time warp. The price from ashcrofts in the uk is the the way to go to save costs. As for brakes and all the other modifications yes they are great but are they that necessary for your needs.
Kindest regards
Garry

You might be right Garry...maybe I was just starting to see the complications and not the benefits. Also there's the issue that Lassie is a new toy for me, so there's also a novelty factor involved...wanting to add enhancements and so on. Maybe I need to upgrade my personal 'brakes' before I get too carried away! Having said that, there are a couple of smaller things I'll be doing straight away...retractable seat belts and one of those self centering steering dampers (at the same time as new rod ends). If I end up driving her on the highway on any kind of regular basis I think you're probably right about the HSTC being a good idea. I'll see what the mechanic thinks about it next week too when she goes in for her first medical...:)

garryseries3
14th February 2011, 09:09 PM
You might be right Garry...maybe I was just starting to see the complications and not the benefits. Also there's the issue that Lassie is a new toy for me, so there's also a novelty factor involved...wanting to add enhancements and so on. Maybe I need to upgrade my personal 'brakes' before I get too carried away! Having said that, there are a couple of smaller things I'll be doing straight away...retractable seat belts and one of those self centering steering dampers (at the same time as new rod ends). If I end up driving her on the highway on any kind of regular basis I think you're probably right about the HSTC being a good idea. I'll see what the mechanic thinks about it next week too when she goes in for her first medical...:)

Sounds like a sensible approach I owned a lwb 6 cylinder I know it was such a rev box at 80kms/h. But go for the low hanging fruit, the easily achieved things that make a good deal of difference without much effort and don't mean YOU END UP IN THE SHED DOING MORE WORK THAN JUST WANTING TO DRIVE AND ENJOY IT. IT CAN TAKE A LOT OF TIME OUT OF YOUR LIFE TO THE EXTENT THAT YOU BEGIN TO WONDER WHY AM I HERE AND NOT OUT THERE?
Garry

SnakeFeeder
15th February 2011, 10:36 AM
Sounds like a sensible approach I owned a lwb 6 cylinder I know it was such a rev box at 80kms/h. But go for the low hanging fruit, the easily achieved things that make a good deal of difference without much effort and don't mean YOU END UP IN THE SHED DOING MORE WORK THAN JUST WANTING TO DRIVE AND ENJOY IT. IT CAN TAKE A LOT OF TIME OUT OF YOUR LIFE TO THE EXTENT THAT YOU BEGIN TO WONDER WHY AM I HERE AND NOT OUT THERE?
Garry

Good point Garry :BigThumb:

TJWA
17th February 2011, 11:09 PM
Hi SnakeFeeder
Cheers Arthur

Find a 6cyl wreck, take the front brakes off of it and fit them to the rear of yours facing towards the back of the car. I have done this mod on mine.
Same drums, shoes and cylinders all round, superior braking in reverse and no difference forwards.

I also have the Ashcroft kit, I thoroughly recommend it. Cost me about $700AUS including freight from the UK in October 2009. Spend an extra $250 and put a rebuild kit through it at the same time.

SnakeFeeder
18th February 2011, 01:39 AM
Find a 6cyl wreck, take the front brakes off of it and fit them to the rear of yours facing towards the back of the car. I have done this mod on mine.
Same drums, shoes and cylinders all round, superior braking in reverse and no difference forwards.

I also have the Ashcroft kit, I thoroughly recommend it. Cost me about $700AUS including freight from the UK in October 2009. Spend an extra $250 and put a rebuild kit through it at the same time.

Thanks TJ...sounds like a great solution. I'll keep it in mind.

ade30946x6
18th March 2011, 10:19 PM
I use range rover diffs in my S3 SWB and overtake plenty of modern cars on the road. The story that they stuff your low range was invented by those who are all show and no go and the sellers of expensive overdrives and transfer case conversions. Still owning around 15 series Land Rovers, all used regularly off road in some of the steepest farming country in Victoria, I can confidently say that there is no significant difference off road.

isuzurover
18th March 2011, 10:51 PM
I use range rover diffs in my S3 SWB and overtake plenty of modern cars on the road. The story that they stuff your low range was invented by those who are all show and no go and the sellers of expensive overdrives and transfer case conversions. Still owning around 15 series Land Rovers, all used regularly off road in some of the steepest farming country in Victoria, I can confidently say that there is no significant difference off road.

:angel:

Try your 3.54s in a LWB and see how you go offroad ;) What size tyres are you running? 500kg less vehicle, 500kg less payload capacity and smaller wheels makes a big difference.

I have suffix B low range gears in my IIA, so 49:1 1st low. I have found hills I cannot reverse up with a load on in reverse low (slightly higher geared than 1st in a IIA).

3.54s increases your gearing in low by 25% (from 40:1 to 30:1). Based on my experience I suspect you are the one who is "all show and no go".

As I mentioned in another thread, I know someone who fitted a HRTC to a rebuilt 109 with a new 2.25P. After needing to drop down to low range to do hill starts on road he pulled it out.

landrover dave
25th March 2011, 08:56 PM
:angel:

Try your 3.54s in a LWB and see how you go offroad ;) What size tyres are you running? 500kg less vehicle, 500kg less payload capacity and smaller wheels makes a big difference.

I have suffix B low range gears in my IIA, so 49:1 1st low. I have found hills I cannot reverse up with a load on in reverse low (slightly higher geared than 1st in a IIA).

3.54s increases your gearing in low by 25% (from 40:1 to 30:1). Based on my experience I suspect you are the one who is "all show and no go".

As I mentioned in another thread, I know someone who fitted a HRTC to a rebuilt 109 with a new 2.25P. After needing to drop down to low range to do hill starts on road he pulled it out.

I had a HRTC in a s3 LWB with a 202, took off great empty, struggled a bit towing a RRC on a trailer off the line. Still needed to use low 1st on some tracks in the high country. If you are running 3.54 diffs and std transfer case there is no way you could climb these tracks!!!!!

series3
30th March 2011, 06:30 PM
Can I please drag this off-topic for a moment?

Ben, did you swap suffix B gears into a non-suffix B box to acheive a better (lower) ratio? Was it a complicated process?

I have a '71 2a SWB (suffix F GB, not sure about TC) on 7.50 16's and sometimes would like lower low range gearing (without dropping tyre size) for putting up and down steep things.

Back on-topic, my small amount of experience leads me to beleive that the Series gearing is generally pretty good, but making it higher would make it marginally more crap for low-range offroad work. It doesn't belong on the freeway...

isuzurover
30th March 2011, 07:32 PM
Can I please drag this off-topic for a moment?

Ben, did you swap suffix B gears into a non-suffix B box to acheive a better (lower) ratio? Was it a complicated process?

Yes.

Cost ~$300 for new intermediate and low range gear. Easy to do. Changes 1st low from 40:1 to 49:1.

series3
31st March 2011, 09:45 AM
Thanks Ben.

What size tyres are you running? How do you find 1st low? only applicable every now and then when things get very steep?

Sam

isuzurover
31st March 2011, 11:47 AM
Thanks Ben.

What size tyres are you running? How do you find 1st low? only applicable every now and then when things get very steep?

Sam

I run 33's. However I know people with 7.50s (31-32") who have done the same, and I originally had 235/85s when I did the mod.

It makes a huge difference off road. It means that some hills offroad can be climbed in 2nd low instead of first, which often gives you extra momentum you need to climb slippery sections.

I use 1st just as often as before doing the mod though. So much better at rock crawling and going down steep hills than it was before.

Note that a high ratio t-case changes your low range to ~38:1, and you cannot lower it further.

wagoo
30th April 2011, 08:45 AM

What a load of Bollocks.Your tractive effort has been reduced by 30%.
If you notice no significant difference then your idea of offroading is operating in terrain that my wifes Honda Civic can get around in.
Wagoo.