PDA

View Full Version : which fuel

ddkemp
25th February 2011, 10:36 AM
I just picked up my new L322 V8 yesterday , which is absolutley stunning and comfortable.The previous owner, being a lady, only used 98 Octane fuel in it from new.
Is this a normal procedure?, or are you safe and able to use the normal unleaded.
After having a TD5 Discovery, I was a little wary of the fuel consumption in the V8.After travelling back from Brisbane to Kingaroy, some 2.5 hours, she only used just over 1/4 of a tank.This I expected to be only about 20 odd litres. total trip about 220klms.
Any feedback will be helpful

tebone
25th February 2011, 11:46 AM
I just picked up my new L322 V8 yesterday , which is absolutley stunning and comfortable.The previous owner, being a lady, only used 98 Octane fuel in it from new.
Is this a normal procedure?, or are you safe and able to use the normal unleaded.
After having a TD5 Discovery, I was a little wary of the fuel consumption in the V8.After travelling back from Brisbane to Kingaroy, some 2.5 hours, she only used just over 1/4 of a tank.This I expected to be only about 20 odd litres. total trip about 220klms.
Any feedback will be helpful

Hi there,
the manual states to use premium unleaded about 95 if possible. I have used 98 and 95 in mine which I haven't seen a big difference in fuel economy. I am using 95 and haven't had any issues. Static compression ratio is 10:1 with bmw 4.4 and with aluimium heads 95ron is ok.
Long term average 14.5 litres/100
Highway 12.5ltr/100

rangie85
4th April 2011, 10:43 AM
Congrats on your purchase, welcome to the club! You do need to use minimum 95 RON unless you adjust the ignition timing. 91 RON fuel is not available in Europe, for which this car was obv designed. There is no difference in performance between 95 and 98 RON. There are fewer impurities in 98 RON, but negligible to see any difference. Hope this helps

CBH25
22nd December 2013, 08:36 PM
Rather than start a new thread, thought id tag onto this one.

Has anyone else had trouble with 95 premium?
I almost always use 98 which runs fine, but 3 out of 3 times I've put in 95, I've ended up with almost no Power, stuttering engine and error lights on the dash.
As soon as I get some octane booster in, she runs perfect again......

Anyone else had or solved this?
Thanks

MY05 V8 Petrol

RR P38
26th December 2013, 02:54 PM
I use Plus Ulp from United no problems.
Sounds like your knock sensors are not happy and stopping the engine from pinging.......thus reduced power.
When was the last time the plugs were changed?
If you have just bought the RR I would highly recommend you get the fuel filter looked at, especially if you dont know the history. And forget those BS stamps in the service book, they dont mean too much as far as Im concerned when it comes to maintenance.

CBH25
28th December 2013, 06:34 PM
How often do the plugs get changed in the regular servicing?
Its at 155kms, regular services. I've changed the fuel filter myself.

Anyone else run 91 or 95 without problems?