PDA

View Full Version : Where do you store your recovery shovel, axe and/or pick?

twr7cx
18th March 2011, 02:17 PM
I'm chasing ideas on where others store/keep there recovery equipment such as shovel, axe and/or pick? A fancy mount system on the roof rack or just chucked in the boot? Or Army style on the bonnet (although I'd assume that's not legal)?

isuzutoo-eh
18th March 2011, 02:51 PM
I'd like to get the army style tool holders to put them on the bonnet, as long as they were padlockable. The special edition 'Tanami' Defender around 1994 had them ex-factory.
If you get tool holders, put them on the bonnet, not the wing tops, as leaning over them to work on anything is painful! Just ask the ex-mil 2a and 3 owners!
At the moment I store my hi-lift jack, shovel, axe, hatchet and bushsaw under the back seat. The hi-lift stops the sharps behind it from coming forward, itself retained by friction on the carpet, hasn't moved in over a year having it there. They are always accessible there and don't suffer from weathering or thieves.
I am considering putting a water tank under the seat instead so will be keen to see other's solutions.

Offender90
18th March 2011, 04:02 PM
I keep mine on the bonnet, Perentie style

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/8632/04072010157k.jpg

Regarding their legality - I've had them on going over the pits in WA, and it "passed" with flying colours. That said, I would not want to hit anyone with them on, so I also have a spare bonnet mount chequer plate without the toolholders. I'm yet to put it on. :wasntme:

Unfortunately not lockable, but I have traveled all of coastal WA and SA without incidents. I've also had the tools bonnet mounted for weeks at a time in front of the house... both in WA (Coogee) and now in SA ("somewhere" in Adelaide). I've learned not to tempt faith however - since isuzurover's hi-lift got "relieved" off his 110.

VladTepes
18th March 2011, 04:23 PM
The one and ONLY answer to any 'Where do you store...?" questions is:

GET A UTE !!!!!!!