PDA

View Full Version : Merc. G-class, the only point is posing

bob10
20th March 2011, 03:15 PM
While I'm on a roll, Courier Mail report on the Mercedes- Benz G-class, 2011. IT starts with-" welcome to the most pointless new passenger vehicle of 2011, there's really no need for Mercede-Benz's G-class" and "It will be treasured for a design that defines unique, and, most of all, for being a resounding declaration of difference, one that states" I can afford to look this weird and not care what you think"
" The G350 with its so-called Bluetec diesel starts from $161,680, the G55 AMG, with its 5.5 litre supercharged petrol V8 from $217,230 .The G350 so-called BlueTec catalytic converter uses the urea liquid Adblue for exhaust gas after treatment.It can be added externally via a funnel, by the fuel tanks outlet" and-" the AMG'S regular road ride is awful, unsettled, unresolved and borderline uncivilised. But its acceleration is stunning, standing start to 100 km/hr in 5.5 seconds, a speed you will be retarding as corners loom to avoid that top heavy here we go feeling" His verdict-" the Merc. you never knew the world needed" Apparently 40 have been ordered in Aust. Is this the future of 4wd? Bob

ATH
20th March 2011, 06:36 PM
The West (Worst) Australian in it's usual fawning grovelling fashion said it was being ordered by those with 2 or 3 other Mercs already in their garage. Just goes to show that because they've got money doesn't mean they've got any sense and will just buy it becuase it's got a 3 pointed star which used to stand for top quality.
AlanH.

JamesH
21st March 2011, 10:10 AM
I want one. A diesel one. It's true I have no sense and I also have no money so it's theoretical.

What would it offer me that my Defender doesn't? I'm getting old and a bit of luxury would not be unwelcome. Automatic transmission would be really nice. The Defender is still fine and much loved but yes like me it's getting a little frayed and this thing with it's badge scrubs up better when going about my social life. I know that it will easily take me to anywhere I go in my Defender for my camping holidays, Kimberly, Pilbara, Central desert etc.

If I could afford one I'd get it over the Range Rover Vogue (and I LOVE Range Rovers).

solmanic
21st March 2011, 02:04 PM
Well, I've already had my say on this matter. (http://www.aulro.com/afvb/general-chat/124040-test-drove-g-wagen.html#post1438409)..

It's an outstanding off-road vehicle that would be a serious replacement option for the Defender at about half the price.

Disco44
21st March 2011, 02:45 PM
While I'm on a roll, Courier Mail report on the Mercedes- Benz G-class, 2011. IT starts with-" welcome to the most pointless new passenger vehicle of 2011, there's really no need for Mercede-Benz's G-class" and "It will be treasured for a design that defines unique, and, most of all, for being a resounding declaration of difference, one that states" I can afford to look this weird and not care what you think"
" The G350 with its so-called Bluetec diesel starts from $161,680, the G55 AMG, with its 5.5 litre supercharged petrol V8 from $217,230 .The G350 so-called BlueTec catalytic converter uses the urea liquid Adblue for exhaust gas after treatment.It can be added externally via a funnel, by the fuel tanks outlet" and-" the AMG'S regular road ride is awful, unsettled, unresolved and borderline uncivilised. But its acceleration is stunning, standing start to 100 km/hr in 5.5 seconds, a speed you will be retarding as corners loom to avoid that top heavy here we go feeling" His verdict-" the Merc. you never knew the world needed" Apparently 40 have been ordered in Aust. Is this the future of 4wd? Bob

Yes I read that too Bob.The price knocked me for six and really they just rubbished it..the mind boggles I suppose some people will fall for anything when it's a named product. Keeping up with the Joneses they call it.

isuzurover
21st March 2011, 03:07 PM
Well, I've already had my say on this matter. (http://www.aulro.com/afvb/general-chat/124040-test-drove-g-wagen.html#post1438409)..

It's an outstanding off-road vehicle that would be a serious replacement option for the Defender at about half the price.

Even at half price it would be over 2x the price the 90 was selling for recently.

Though $40k extra may be worth it for improved comfort, reliability and lockers :D