PDA

View Full Version : Starter motor question.

pfillery
24th March 2011, 07:23 AM
A while back I was experiencing starting issues, which I had thought was the starter or solenoid. Failed completely yesterday and turned out to be a loose wire terminal on the main +ve wire to the starter motor.

My question is regarding the motor itself. As I have a holden 186 I would have expected the motor to be a 186 starter, but by the looks of it, it is totally different, made in England and looks like a land rover starter (has no solenoid on the starter like the holden ones do). Someone once told me quite adamantly that a holden conversion would have a holden starter motor and obviously this isn't the case. Does this mean I have most likely got a land rover flywheel and clutch in there as well? Seems weird to me.

JDNSW
24th March 2011, 09:59 AM
Although I am no expert on Holdens, I know that some Holdens had Lucas electrics, and the starter motor would have looked very similar to the Landrover ones, although not necessarily interchangeable. While mostly the Lucas electrics would have been Australian made, perhaps not all were, and also this would not necessarily apply to replacements.

John

landrover dave
25th March 2011, 08:23 PM
A while back I was experiencing starting issues, which I had thought was the starter or solenoid. Failed completely yesterday and turned out to be a loose wire terminal on the main +ve wire to the starter motor.

My question is regarding the motor itself. As I have a holden 186 I would have expected the motor to be a 186 starter, but by the looks of it, it is totally different, made in England and looks like a land rover starter (has no solenoid on the starter like the holden ones do). Someone once told me quite adamantly that a holden conversion would have a holden starter motor and obviously this isn't the case. Does this mean I have most likely got a land rover flywheel and clutch in there as well? Seems weird to me.

This sounds like a conversion I used to have. Someone had adapted the flywheel housing, flywheel etc off a 2.25 onto the back of the red motor. This of course used the landy starter. I found a proper conversion that had a flywheel to fit the landy clutch cos there was a huge gap at the back of the sump/landy flywheel cover. This gap let in mud and water and the starter drive kept jamming cos of it.