PDA

View Full Version : holden or landrover clutch?

nicholascummins
3rd April 2011, 01:08 PM
I have a 57 88 and it has what I think is a Holden grey motor. I cant work out if the clutch plate and fly wheel are landrover or holden. see attached images.Any advice on how to tell, and where to get Holden clutch parts if indeed they are Holden would be much appreciated. thanks Nick

Tote
5th April 2011, 12:54 PM
Not much use in identifying what you have but the usual practice is to run the holden pressure plate with the Land Rover clutch plate I imagine. That way the pressure plate bolts up to the Flywheel and the splines on the clutch plate mate with the input shaft.

Regards,
Tote

Lotz-A-Landies
5th April 2011, 01:16 PM
Need to see the other side of each of your items.

Yes - the friction plate is always a Rover plate and it was a common conversion to use the Holden pressure plate, however this design had a number of flaws. It resulted in a very heavy pedal and poor feel.

Some conversions used a standard Borg & Beck Land Rover pressure plate fitted to an individually machined flywheel which returned the Land Rover clutch feel. This was expensive in manufacture.

The Roy Sim conversions in Sydney used the standard Holden flywheel and a Borg & Beck pressure plate from a Vauxhaul Velox. Later when Velox plates were difficult to acquire the pressure plate was hybridised by using the Borg & Beck pressure plate housing from a Ferguson TE20 tractor (which has the standard GM pattern) with the internals from the Borg & Beck Land Rover pressure plate.

Here endeth the lesson! :angel:

chris1983rangie
5th April 2011, 03:16 PM
Just for Reference, here's some pics of my Tea20 pressureplate housing with Land Rover internals. it uses the Landy clutch plate and Holden flywheel.
Chris

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2011/04/1139.jpg

Lotz-A-Landies
5th April 2011, 07:19 PM
Thanks Chris

Your flywheel has been re-drilled to the LR pattern but I note how close to the LR bolts are to the edge.

What I should have mentioned before, was that part of the reason for the manufactured flywheel was to make a heavy flywheel to increase torque at low revs.

Diana

Sideroad
6th April 2011, 09:39 PM
Any idea on the availability of the ferguson TE20 pressure plates these days? Cost? My 186 powered '68 109 has a killer clutch (and I have a stuffed left ankle) and if this helped to fix it I would consider the change.

Need to see the other side of each of your items.

Yes - the friction plate is always a Rover plate and it was a common conversion to use the Holden pressure plate, however this design had a number of flaws. It resulted in a very heavy pedal and poor feel.

Some conversions used a standard Borg & Beck Land Rover pressure plate fitted to an individually machined flywheel which returned the Land Rover clutch feel. This was expensive in manufacture.

The Roy Sim conversions in Sydney used the standard Holden flywheel and a Borg & Beck pressure plate from a Vauxhaul Velox. Later when Velox plates were difficult to acquire the pressure plate was hybridised by using the Borg & Beck pressure plate housing from a Ferguson TE20 tractor (which has the standard GM pattern) with the internals from the Borg & Beck Land Rover pressure plate.

Here endeth the lesson! :angel:

Lotz-A-Landies
6th April 2011, 10:27 PM
Any idea on the availability of the ferguson TE20 pressure plates these days? Cost? My 186 powered '68 109 has a killer clutch (and I have a stuffed left ankle) and if this helped to fix it I would consider the change.Te 20 are the grey Fergys. Heaps of them around and Bare & Co do repro parts for them. My first point of call would be a series LR wrecker and try to find one on a wrecked Holden conversion there, if it has a B&B pressure plate with 4 bolts grab the pressure plate if it has one with 6 bolts grab the flywheel and pressure plate.

mick88
12th April 2011, 06:22 AM
Just out of interest a Holden Flywheel weighs approx 10.5 kg and a Landy flywheel weighs approx 15 kg.
Makes a lot of difference when it comes to starting off or dragging a load.
I have a series 3 that has a very rude/crude home made conversion utilising the Land Rover flywheel on a Holden 173. This vehicle will just idle off the mark with ease compared to my regular runabout which is a series 3 with a Holden 186 with a standard Holden flywheel.

Cheers Mick. :)

Lotz-A-Landies
12th April 2011, 08:26 AM
Absolutely Mick

It's quite amazing the difference the special heavy flywheel conversions and ones like your one with the Land Rover flywheel make over the standard Holden flywheels. They perform soooo much better at low revs, particularly off road.

Diana