PDA

View Full Version : SD4 vs Si6

rover boy
12th April 2011, 09:38 PM
1) Are there any major issues driving a diesel short distances around the city regarding the clogging of the Diesel Particle Filter? Anyone just driving short distances in a diesel? 2) I haven't heard too much on the positive aspects of the Freelander 2 Si6 Petrol - is this car as good as the diesel apart from the huge petrol consumption?:confused:

Tusker
14th April 2011, 12:47 PM
What huge petrol consumption?

rover boy
14th April 2011, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the reply. I read in an article that the petrol model gets 15 L/100km (I think city cycle) and nearly made my eyes fall out! Do you differ?

isuzurover
14th April 2011, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the reply. I read in an article that the petrol model gets 15 L/100km (I think city cycle) and nearly made my eyes fall out! Do you differ?

Yes you are right - the economy is pretty bad. However only slightly worse than other V6 soft roaders on a combined cycle.

Diesels are OK for short journeys these days, but try and give them a blast on the highway every few thousand km.

Tusker
14th April 2011, 05:45 PM
It depends what you think is excessive.

The i6, roughly speaking, weighs the same as a Falcon/Commodore, goes as hard as a Falcon/Commodore - and leaves the diesel for dead btw - and at 3.2 litres, is midway between Commodore & Falcon.

For the record, pottering around town on E10, I get 13-13.5 whatsits. Driven harder, I'm sure the consumption would skyrocket.

On the open road, I tend to run 98 octane V Power when I can, just for the extra power & economy/range. At 90 kph, its 9 whatsits. 100 to 110 kph, around 10 to 10.5.

And, at 130 kph, its 11.2. I've just completed a 13,000 km run from Sydney to Kakadu & back, & the average throughout the NT was 11.2. This was E10 & 95 octane too, the good stuff is rarely available. I don't think that's too bad frankly, it saw 150 kph a few times getting past those road trains. It's a quick car.

Do the sums, running costs between petrol & diesel are often roughly the same. The i6 is smoother, quieter, quicker. If you're towing often, then the diesel torque is the way to go.

Regards
Max P

robbotd5
14th April 2011, 06:47 PM
The i6 is an excellent engine, it is, after all, a Volvo built engine used in the XC70 and XC90. Say what you will about Volvo's but they dont build crap.
Regards
Robbo

big guy
14th April 2011, 07:55 PM
The i6 is an excellent engine, it is, after all, a Volvo built engine used in the XC70 and XC90. Say what you will about Volvo's but they dont build crap.
Regards
Robbo

Yes they certainly do.
I bought my mother a 380sel Merc because she can't drive and needs a tank. Rode that off.
I than Bought her this time with her money a V70 wagon, one owner,books,leather everything. The motor seems good but everything around it falls off, stops and or plays up.New brake master, alternator,fuel pump, warning lights keep flicking on, tranny has a warning light(no one knows why), lights stopeed working-- new switch. It justkeeps on going on like that. Previous owner also spend a fortune on it as I knowhim.

My neighbours have 4 Volvo's, they all look shagged and sound like they are ready for the scrap heap.
Good motor(Block) but the rest I do not feel same as you do. Give me a Landy anyday.

robbotd5
15th April 2011, 05:13 PM
Yes they certainly do.
I bought my mother a 380sel Merc because she can't drive and needs a tank. Rode that off.
I than Bought her this time with her money a V70 wagon, one owner,books,leather everything. The motor seems good but everything around it falls off, stops and or plays up.New brake master, alternator,fuel pump, warning lights keep flicking on, tranny has a warning light(no one knows why), lights stopeed working-- new switch. It justkeeps on going on like that. Previous owner also spend a fortune on it as I knowhim.

My neighbours have 4 Volvo's, they all look shagged and sound like they are ready for the scrap heap.
Good motor(Block) but the rest I do not feel same as you do. Give me a Landy anyday.
Whatever. Not going there again with you.
Robbo.