PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Jack Options

DiscoBarny
13th April 2011, 10:17 AM
Hi all,

I'm looking to get an exhaust jack to compliment my mate's set of recovery gear so that we have all options covered.

I've noticed that there are two types of exhaust jack valve configurations: one of them has the valve on the bag itself, while the other has the valve halfway down the inflation hose. The latter's marketing blurb says its 'safer' than the one with the valve on the bag.

Does anyone have experience with either of these and advice for a newbie?

Cheers,
DB

marko66
13th April 2011, 09:13 PM
Hi All

Bought the tjm 400 dollars bag with the valve halfway down the hose

Picked the front of my 16 ton gvm truck up ok, not cheap but it works and seems well made. I went to superchaeap and bought some tarps to but above and below it.

Hope this helps

Regards Mark

big guy
13th April 2011, 10:27 PM
I also have a tjm, not sure what I paid but whatever it is, its paid for itself many times over. I see many cars carry a high lift jack, I stopped and helped a guy ouf of a pickle th eother week as he looked for somewhere to attach his Jack. He had a Landcruiser, looked new but not sure of vintage and let me tell you, there are not many points that will not damage panel or even where there is enough meet to mount to.
Out comes the bag as I call it and up comes the cruiser. I chucked in two pieces of carpert for protection plus have a piece of ply board with me for a solid surface so the bag does not puncture on stones etc. Valve is roughly 1/2 way down and seems to work for me.
I have seen a couple of bags blow but they looked like supercheap types and also well worn.
Buy quality and travel with confidence is my advise and practise using it at home as when you need it, you want to know what you are doing as they can lift the car quite high and slip if not properly positioned and or stable. So becareful too when jacked up.

Zute
24th April 2011, 02:19 AM
I can see having the valve away from the bag would be better. Ive had mine roll under a vehicle, and was than unable to turn the valve to release the gasses.
Note I say gasses. when you open it, you get a face full of gass most times.:(

DiscoBarny
26th April 2011, 10:25 PM
Cheers all.

I've also heard that there are different 'grades' of exhaust jack. Are the ones on eBay (about $100) any good, or is it worth spending the extra at one of the reputable 4WD shops (which I feel charge a premium)?