PDA

View Full Version : engine numbers & alternator

stevep
20th April 2011, 08:15 PM
I have bought a 2.25 petrol engine which has an engine number 25212***. Can somebody tell me which year landrover it would come out of?? looking to put it in my 1958 SWB in place of the 186 holden.

It also has an alternator -- do they have an internal regulator? or external?

thanks
Steve

Lotz-A-Landies
20th April 2011, 08:26 PM
25212 prefix is a SIIa in 1965.

No they didn't have alternators originally so you will have to identify the type yourself.

It also means that you'll have to change the polarity of your vehicle, including swapping the ammeter in the instrument panel if it hasn't already been done.

Diana

stevep
20th April 2011, 08:45 PM
thanks again Diana,

The polarity has been changed when they stuck the holden engine in, because it has an alternator with an external regulator & I was trying to work out what wiring had to change when i fit the new engine.

Steve

Lotz-A-Landies
20th April 2011, 08:55 PM
The externally regulated one on the holden will be a Bosch 35Amp. Don't bother with it, get a Bosch 55 Amp internally regulated one, the terminal post goes to battery and the IND ( or D+) goes to the original field wire.

There is a whole thread on the subject in the FC area I seem to remember. (http://www.aulro.com/afvb/fcs-military-variations/110157-wots-been-happening-101-world-7.html#post1314253)