PDA

View Full Version : What work did you do on your Series Land Rover last weekend

harryj
27th June 2011, 08:20 PM
G'day all,
just thinking how great it would be to hear what work/repairs/maintenance other Series Land Rover owners have been doing to their classics last weekend.
I oiled the leaf springs (which were quite dry and not flexing much) with a 50/50 mix of old engine sump oil and diesel.

Oiling your leaf-springs is well worth the effort and will work wonders for the ride quality and flexibility of your springs, however it's a messy job so remember to wear eye protection and gloves. :spudnikcurse:

Harry jnr

pfillery
28th June 2011, 06:54 AM
1. Fitted period VDO voltmeter in the centre dash.
2. Reconditioned speedometer to replace on having issues.
3. Fitted rebuilt speedometer.
4. Replaced indicator stalk.
5. Removed crappy horn button from hard to find spot on dash and wired to new indicator stalk.
6. Fitted gas gauge and switch from new LPG installation on dash.
7.Wired up dash power sockets with fuse so my inspection lamp will work.
8. Started designing LPG switch to match all original switches.
9. Disabled windscreen washer power.

That was my lazy Sunday afternoon.

harryj
28th June 2011, 11:31 AM
Heck! :o that 'lazy Sunday arvo' must have started at 4am and finished at 9pm :spudniksnore: to do all that. Very industrious and well done ol' chap.
Harry jnr

Lotz-A-Landies
28th June 2011, 01:02 PM
Last week, Friday.

I removed the nose and radiator from my ex-SADF SIIb and took it into the radiator repairer. 80% blocked, and 3 row core porous and not holding pressure. New 4 row copper core being fitted as we speak.

Then on the weekend.

I removed a civvy tub from a SIII lightweight and fitted a LWT tub from a donor, fitted 2 lwt tanks and lwt seatbox.

Now I only need another 300 years and I can finish off all my projects. :BigCry:

Diana

Xtreme
28th June 2011, 02:29 PM
Last week, Friday.

I removed the nose and radiator from my ex-SADF SIIb and took it into the radiator repairer. 80% blocked, and 3 row core porous and not holding pressure. New 4 row copper core being fitted as we speak.

Then on the weekend.

I removed a civvy tub from a SIII lightweight and fitted a LWT tub from a donor, fitted 2 lwt tanks and lwt seatbox.

Now I only need another 300 years and I can finish off all my projects. :BigCry:

Diana

One at a time might be worth considering :o

No that's no good .............................. you need to keep your mind active. :wasntme:

Lotz-A-Landies
28th June 2011, 02:34 PM
One at a time might be worth considering :o

No that's no good .............................. you need to keep your mind active. :wasntme:The LWT belongs to a friend, so it was a bit of a ring in work on: "your classic series Land Rover".

pfillery
29th June 2011, 06:17 AM
Heck! :o that 'lazy Sunday arvo' must have started at 4am and finished at 9pm :spudniksnore: to do all that. Very industrious and well done ol' chap.
Harry jnr

Nope, started about 11am after a lazy Sunday morning (need my coffee) and packed up around 6.30pm when it was too dark to see and my mouth was getting tired of holding the torch.

More to do this weekend, probably dash out again to finish then maybe start work cleaning up and painting the front bumper and scrub bar.

drifter
3rd July 2011, 04:36 PM
Drove it out from its hidey hole under a hedge

Swept out the spider webs

Searched and found why the panel lights in the 'auxillary' dash weren't working

Repaired

Reversed it back under the hedge!

Lotz-A-Landies
11th July 2011, 10:00 AM
On my ex-SADF radio relay body SIIb/SIII 1 Ton f/c Cut off a modesty skirt from the rear cross member.
Removed the main fuel tank to find that the fuel level problem was a siezed float arm.
Removed rear tail lamp assemblies from rear cross members.
Test fitted a combination Pintle jaw/tow bar receiver.
Disassembled the front body panels to prepare for painting.
Re-attached check straps.
Treated a number of surface rust areas with "rust remover" (phosphoric acid).
Applied galmet to previously treated areas of surface rust on door frame welds.
Test fitted military headlamp frames, only to find the headlamp buckets have been changed to alternate standard (but realised that the old buckets on my Mk3 Inter are the correct type. :) )
Applied NATO green enamel to outer footwell, only to find the match isn't as close as I had hoped. :(
May now re-paint the vehicle in SADF tan instead on NATO green? (I think SADF tan may be "Antelope" BS-4800-08B21).On Sunday, I helped a friend move to his new house: 2 X 1595cc IOE engines, 3 X series transmissions/transfer cases, 5 X series 1 front and rear axle assemblies, bumber bars, brushguard, hard top and about 80 display cases. The display cases being the only non Series Land Rover items.

Is that sufficient?
Diana

harryj
15th July 2011, 05:52 PM
Is that sufficient? Are you kidding Diana? Go to the top of the class, well done indeed. :BigThumb: Work must have commenced at sun-up (or earlier) and concluded well past midnight both days. :spudniksnore:
You're reminding us of the ground-up resto on our 2A, which took 14 years ...

Lotz-A-Landies
19th July 2011, 04:06 PM
Is that sufficient? Are you kidding Diana? Go to the top of the class, well done indeed. :BigThumb: Work must have commenced at sun-up (or earlier) and concluded well past midnight both days. :spudniksnore:
You're reminding us of the ground-up resto on our 2A, which took 14 years ...Actually Harry I cheat a little. My working week is 4 x 10 hour shifts Monday through Thursday so my weekend is Friday through Sunday. I do however have to travel from SE Sydney to SW Sydney (the whole length M5 + a bit each end) to get to the shed where my SIIb is stored, which takes over an hour off each day's work.

When it comes to ground up restorations, my 1951 ex-RACQ 80" is catching up to your SIIa, having been started in 2004 and hasn't been touched since 2008. I seem to have lost interest in that one, sad really as it only needs it's body re-painted and refitted.

This weekend it was more moving, but I have acquired a long term loan of some workshop equipment like a light gauge sheet metal guilotine/bending brake, bench grinder and linisher. The bending brake will be very useful for some of the missing bits on the gun buggy.

Friday was relatively unsuccessful, I went to AutoBarn to get some SIIb Land Rover bronze green in a spray can. When I tried to apply it was a very poor match, more emerald/lime green than the OEM bronze green I was expecting. As I said elsewhere, I should have realised it was wrong when they said it matched Landrover 1959-1989 when we know the SII was deep bronze green and the later SIIa particularly 1967-1971 a lighter bronze green colour and different to the SIII bronze green.

I then went elsewhere to get colour mixed up to match SADF brown, I had chosen BSC 4800:08 B 21 "Antelope" but accidently asked for 04 B 21 "Sable" and they mixed the colour from the BSC:5200 instead of the BSC 4800 and the resulting colour is far too light. (Even for the sable which should have been acceptable as well.)

Today I've been geting the clour charts printed onto photographic paper and comparing them to photographs I've taken myself and the BSC codes should be correct so I've no idea what's going wrong. Looks like another trip to Minto on Friday.

The ho har's
19th July 2011, 04:32 PM
Got the damaged 101 radiator out and got it tested as well as 'zara's' heater box

Pulled the seized winch controller out of the 101 and freed it up:D

went shopping for landy bits and pieces

Put a new..well a better heater box in 'zara'

cleaned up the defender seats for the 101

Mrs hh:angel:

drifter
19th July 2011, 04:46 PM
What work did you do on your classic Series Land Rover last weekend?

Absolutely nothing. Crook as a dog, spent the weekend in bed. I do have a week off looming, though - Series 2a's BEWARE:twisted:

harryj
19th July 2011, 06:51 PM
Friday was relatively unsuccessful, I went to AutoBarn to get some SIIb Land Rover bronze green in a spray can. When I tried to apply it was a very poor match, more emerald/lime green than the OEM bronze green I was expecting. As I said elsewhere, I should have realised it was wrong when they said it matched Landrover 1959-1989 when we know the SII was deep bronze green and the later SIIa particularly 1967-1971 a lighter bronze green colour and different to the SIII bronze green.

Good effort, Diana. The 'deep bronze green' colour we used on our S2A ex-mil is a Haymes product, from their 'Heritage' range.
I will try to find their paint code for you. :)
There is actual bronze metal in the paint. I do remember when opening the lid off the tin, I could readily see the bronze microscopic particles shining in the paint whilst stirring it.

Harry & Son

harryj
19th July 2011, 07:02 PM
What work did you do on your classic Series Land Rover last weekend?

Absolutely nothing. Crook as a dog, spent the weekend in bed. I do have a week off looming, though - Series 2a's BEWARE:twisted:

Well we hope you're up and about soon cobber, maybe it was the Landys that made you feel crook... I know it's freezing cold in the Capital, but you really must keep those garage doors open whilst you're getting a dose of carbon monoxide fumes. Did I say 'carbon'? Watch out! Julia's got you in her sights !! :o

drifter
19th July 2011, 07:45 PM
Well we hope you're up and about soon cobber, maybe it was the Landys that made you feel crook... I know it's freezing cold in the Capital, but you really must keep those garage doors open whilst you're getting a dose of carbon monoxide fumes. Did I say 'carbon'? Watch out! Julia's got you in her sights !! :o

haha - ALL work is done outside - which is why it is taking so long. There is no room in the garage for a vehicle...

jerryd
19th July 2011, 08:00 PM
I spent the weekend building the new wardrobe unit for the dormobile :) Not quite to original spec but it's good enough for me.
It will take the fridge inside if need be,the shelves are removable so can it can be used for clothes etc. The seat / step is for access to the bunks and to sit on while cooking eggs + bacon ;)

VK3UTE
20th July 2011, 07:21 PM
I took Mary for a drive with the kids, finished stripping down the spare diesel motor ready for a re bore at the local engine re conditioners. :)

Still trying to get the BLACK diesel oil off my hands;)

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/members/vk3ute-albums-mary-picture2627-img-1634.jpg

harryj
21st July 2011, 06:23 PM
Good effort, Diana. The 'deep bronze green' colour we used on our S2A ex-mil is a Haymes product, from their 'Heritage' range.
I will try to find their paint code for you. :)
There is actual bronze metal in the paint. I do remember when opening the lid off the tin, I could readily see the bronze microscopic particles shining in the paint whilst stirring it.

Harry & Son

Diana (Lotz-A-Landies), we are pleased to advise the following:
Deep Bronze Green paint code 4039
HAYMES PAINTS - Heritage Colour range

Haymes Paint: Colour Centre (http://www.haymespaint.com.au/haymes/colourcentre/)
Cheers, Harry & Son

harryj
21st July 2011, 08:58 PM
I took Mary for a drive with the kids, finished stripping down the spare diesel motor ready for a re bore at the local engine re conditioners. :)

Still trying to get the BLACK diesel oil off my hands;)

If the black stains your hands and doesn't wipe off easily, then the oil change was long overdue. Did someone suggest 'carbon' in the engine oil .... Ummm probably something to do with the new tax :p
p.s: the old Landy looks great.

harryj
21st July 2011, 09:11 PM
I spent the weekend building the new wardrobe unit for the dormobile :) Not quite to original spec but it's good enough for me.
It will take the fridge inside if need be,the shelves are removable so can it can be used for clothes etc. The seat / step is for access to the bunks and to sit on while cooking eggs + bacon ;)

Good to hear Jerry, it's about restoring an old classic Land Rover to suit your needs/requirements, not others :) That Dormobile looks like a lovely example, and certainly beats pitching a tent in wet windy weather.
I can almost smell those crackling bacon & googs from here, ol' chap.

harryj
21st July 2011, 09:21 PM
Good stuff Mr & Mrs Ho-Har. A heater for 'Zara' ? Yes, it was 1.5 degrees (!) at my place early Sunday morning (10th July).
I'm told a BMC Mini heater is also a suitable type. Harry jnr

Lotz-A-Landies
22nd July 2011, 10:29 AM
<snip>
Friday was relatively unsuccessful, I went to AutoBarn to get some SIIb Land Rover bronze green in a spray can. When I tried to apply it was a very poor match, more emerald/lime green than the OEM bronze green I was expecting.
<snip>Have been watching the test area of the AutoBarn bronze green this week and as the paint dries the colour comes much closer to the original. So I think I will use it for the touch ups.

Unfortunately there won't be much work for a while, my 84yo dad was thrown from a ladder on the farm and has injured his C spine so is now in the hospital in Wollongong and will be for some time. It's almost the worst location, halfway between the farm and where I work/live in Sydney. My 80yo mum drives but we don't want her driving so far, so it's up the family to roster a driver to bring mum to the hospital and it's my shift this weekend and today. 160Km to pick up mum 90Km to the hospital and repeat.

drifter
22nd July 2011, 06:24 PM
Sorry to hear about your dad.

I was going to mention that about the Autobarn paint - it dries up very well.

Lotz-A-Landies
22nd July 2011, 09:41 PM
Sorry to hear about your dad.
...Thanks John, much appreciated. Have just returned from the hospital and was able to talk to the surgeon after visiting hours. The injury is more extensive that I had thought/hoped and some surgery is still required but not till some of his reg meds clear out of the system in 8-10 days. :( After surgery, if everything goes O.K. then it will be off to spinal rehab, at least that will be below my office at work. But a lot of dislocation for my mum, so looks like I'm losing my study for some months.

The bad thing and even if surgery is O.K. dad may not regain use (full or limited) of his hands and legs. A bit hard for a chippy/farmer who hasn't sat still for 84 years, has always been building/fencing and doing work of some sort. Incapacity will be worse than any other option. :( :( :( :(

The next few weeks will be a trying time.

Diana

123rover50
25th July 2011, 06:42 AM
A few weeks ago I bought a couple of litres of Rover deep bronze green paint from Autobarn.

First try looked a bit yellow

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2011/07/357.jpg

Took it back last week and added more black to 1000 grms.

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2011/07/358.jpg
Put it on yesterday. Looks good to me, but everyone has their own idea of the correct shade.

123rover50
25th July 2011, 06:48 AM
The light was fading in the afternoon so it looks a bit darker in the photo.
Here is the paint code if anyone is interested.
We put in an extra 100 grms for two litres going from 896.5 to 996.5.

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2011/07/309.jpg

JDNSW
25th July 2011, 07:13 AM
Thanks John, much appreciated. Have just returned from the hospital and was able to talk to the surgeon after visiting hours. The injury is more extensive that I had thought/hoped and some surgery is still required but not till some of his reg meds clear out of the system in 8-10 days. :( After surgery, if everything goes O.K. then it will be off to spinal rehab, at least that will be below my office at work. But a lot of dislocation for my mum, so looks like I'm losing my study for some months.

The bad thing and even if surgery is O.K. dad may not regain use (full or limited) of his hands and legs. A bit hard for a chippy/farmer who hasn't sat still for 84 years, has always been building/fencing and doing work of some sort. Incapacity will be worse than any other option. :( :( :( :(

The next few weeks will be a trying time.

Diana

Very sorry to hear about your dad. My sympathy to him and all the family.

John

123rover50
25th July 2011, 11:14 AM
Here is a pic with a bit of sun on it. Looks better.

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2011/07/310.jpg

series3
29th July 2011, 08:55 PM
I managed to fit twin reservoirs to the old girl today after putting a kit through the clutch MC.

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2011/07/104.jpg

So if any body can use a tattered but original metal reservoir and bracket you can take it off my hands..

Sam

SIImad
30th July 2011, 08:39 PM
Swung the motor on a donor vehicle and found some non standard equipment in the rubbish stored in the back!:eek: Obviously looking for a warm place from the cold.

harryj
31st July 2011, 02:59 PM
I managed to fit twin reservoirs to the old girl today after putting a kit through the clutch MC.

So if any body can use a tattered but original metal reservoir and bracket you can take it off my hands..

Sam

That looks like a nice pair of CV master cylinders there Sam, what are the plastic remote reservoirs off and where did you source them from ??

harryj
31st July 2011, 03:09 PM
Swung the motor on a donor vehicle and found some non standard equipment in the rubbish stored in the back!:eek: Obviously looking for a warm place from the cold.

When my team & I went to recover 'ol soda', our series 3 shorty from a farm paddock in northern NSW, we too were cleaning out accumulated junk from the back, and yes lurking there was a rather large python. :bat:

harryj
31st July 2011, 03:26 PM
Here is a pic with a bit of sun on it. Looks better.

We've got a similar pic in our rebuild photo history of the bare chassis-up full resto of our ex-mil S2A. In your pic we can see the full weight of that hefty chassis supported by two sawhorses. They look the same ones as in our workshop and we can attest to the flimsiness of those steel legs. Beware, don't get under that chassis to do any work, as they are VERY thin.

SIImad
31st July 2011, 04:23 PM
When I first saw the thing out of the corner of my eye, I thought it was a bit of old heater hose and I was going to reach down and pick it up, then the girlfriend screamed, and I saw what it was!

series3
31st July 2011, 06:26 PM
That looks like a nice pair of CV master cylinders there Sam, what are the plastic remote reservoirs off and where did you source them from ??

Thanks Harry, the two masters are fairly new.

I got the new reservoirs as a kit from lrseries.co.uk. My bracket was poorly machined so that the screw holes were miles off the housing, so they had to be filed out a bit to fit. The kit obviously also needs new pipes from the reservoir, and one of them is very close to fouling on the output line on the brake MC.

A little bit of an effort, but I got the tyres to squeal under braking in the dry, so pretty happy with that!

Sam

isuzutoo-eh
5th September 2011, 06:06 PM
Fitted rebuilt the valve gear to old Mary's head. I want to drop the sump and check the bearing cap I disturbed when checking the shells, as I don't remember torquing it up properly. But that can wait till tomorrow's lunchbreak.

isuzutoo-eh
6th September 2011, 06:22 PM
tappets adjusted, dizzy back together, didn't check bearing cap thing, instead put 2.5L of the requisite Penrite oil in, didn't have time to buy more so may end up dumping 3.5L of Castrol 15w-40 thats meant for fuel injected cars in...unless someone tells me i'm an idiot for considering it. Otherwise I have 5L of 15-40 to use up in the air filter :p

Might need to get some fuel tomorrow too :p
And eat dinner at some stage.

isuzutoo-eh
17th September 2011, 08:02 PM
Drove up the driveway today! Handbrake doesn't work-boot is fouling and stiff. Took spare engine out of tub, thanks to Justin's engine crane. Switched to good tyres, 110 rims and intermediate type nuts. Taped up splits in seats, may have to get some exmoor trim replacements as the original vinyl cracks too easily. Installed new windscreen wiper blade, polished windscreen-has a white haze, looks like overspray but it isn't.
Finally a good hose out completed the day!

JDNSW
19th September 2011, 07:55 PM
Getting the 2a ready for the trip to Castle Hill.

Changed the oil and replaced the filter. Repaired small holes in top radiator tank. Replaced front bush on RH rear spring - had to remove it with a cutting wheel. Checked steering box, and steering joints etc. Oiled springs. Adjusted tappets. Still to do - check axles and gearbox/transfer case, grease & lube other items, service aircleaner, adjust brakes, check lights, battery, check overdrive, (probably a few I haven't thought of at the moment) general cleanup.

John

jerryd
20th September 2011, 11:01 PM
I'm putting the back end of the dormobile back together, fitted 3.54 V8 complete axle, parabolic springs,new shocks, brakes etc. I don't like the parabolic springs as they have lifted the vehicle too much for my liking :eek:

So original springs are in for a rebuild and should be ready thursday teatime ready to fit back on. Also putting interior back in plus a few new bits :)
Lots to do before friday morning......... All this to spend my birthday talking landrovers :D

Parabolic springs and shocks are for sale in the markets section, will bring down to Castle Hill if anybody wants them.

SIImad
2nd November 2011, 06:57 PM
Did the Railco on both sides, replaced wheel cylinders and brake flexible hoses, fitted rubber boots to drive shafts, and fitted a new manifold and and genuine exhaust system to my SIII wagon. Saturday and Sunday was a busy weekend indeed!:p

Wallydog
3rd November 2011, 08:33 PM
Im plotting a land rover burning! Thatll be the last bit of work I have to do on it :twisted: wanna watch?

reubsrover
6th November 2011, 09:10 PM
Im plotting a land rover burning! Thatll be the last bit of work I have to do on it :twisted: wanna watch?

Just take a break, I had six months off mine, had to walk or ride everywhere though:(

Then finally got to work last weekend (merging through to Wednesday), swapped the gearboxes and as a celebration took the roof off and went for a drive, that made me remember why I bought it!

Quietens it down greatly too.

If you're really sick of yours I could take it off your hands:p

VK3UTE
8th November 2011, 08:23 AM
Hi All. Put the rebuilt motor into Mary:) fitted new tie rod ends and exhaust system. Nice to drive her now and not have the cab fill with smoke:eek: check out the photos

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/members/vk3ute-albums-mary-picture2833-img-0327.jpg

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2011/11/274.jpg

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/members/vk3ute-albums-mary-picture2920-sam-0170.jpg

Cheers Simon

ade
8th November 2011, 08:39 AM
new timing kit, radiator/oil cooler, did the valve clearances, new viscous hub, changed all the fluids filters, three new uni joints, regreased the wheel bearings, hid kits in my hella 2000's, she's ready for another 100thou km

isuzutoo-eh
12th November 2011, 06:17 PM
Installed my Mary's new windscreen, tidied up the wiring and cleared some soot out of the exhaust too!

Mudpiggy
14th November 2011, 10:40 AM
Cleaned up SIII front hubs & installed in place of IIA hubs, new 60mm studs front and rear (to fit 130 wheels). New x-fer rear output seal. Reconditioned and refitted handbrake drum and backing plate.

drifter
14th November 2011, 06:31 PM
Replaced the window channels for the rear sliding windows on the station wagon. :) Bloke two of the fragile bloody window locks :(

Wheels (rims) have all been painted and are ready for tyres.

tribute_landy
14th November 2011, 11:09 PM
I adjusted the clutch pedal travel and re bled the clutch system on the series 3. Was able to get about two inches of true clutch travel, moved the wagon around the car park and am now confident to have it moved to my own house for the continuation of the project.

VK3UTE
17th November 2011, 12:32 PM
Had a full set of 5 1/2 inch rims sandblasted, spent the afternoon in the shed spray painting them Limestone with 4 layers of clear top coat. They look great:D
Now trying to find some new 7.50 16 tyres that look original. :angel:
Difficult to find?

Lotz-A-Landies
17th November 2011, 01:29 PM
I removed the rear output flange from a spare transfer box, cleaned up the threads on the prop shaft bolts, ran a tap through the nuts and delivered to a mate Iain for his S1 88"!

On my own SIII, earlier in the week I cut a hole in the blackout panel and fitted a Hella hazard lamp switch. While not original or military* I believe it's a safety improvement for our all too hazardous roads.

Diana

* the same switch is fitted to the UK MoD SIII lightweights.

drifter
22nd November 2011, 03:19 PM
Old windscreen out. New windscreen seals. Different windscreen in. New wiper blades.

Vents removed. New vent seals. Vent insect screens installed. Vents installed.

drifter
27th November 2011, 03:47 PM
All brakes checked, replaced where necessary and bled and adjusted.

Handbrake shoes replaced. Transfercase rear seal replaced. Handbrake drum replaced.

Temporary seal in roof gutter - no wet stuff on driver now :p

Adjusted steering box to within tolerances. Replaced all tie-rod ends.

VK3UTE
29th November 2011, 09:10 PM
New tyres fitted to the restored rims, I think they look the part:)

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/members/vk3ute-albums-mary-picture2941-img-1996.jpg

Started cleaning up her PTO and Winch

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/members/vk3ute-albums-mary-picture2943-sam-0174.jpg

drifter
3rd December 2011, 04:43 PM
Installed windscreen washer. Doesn't look too bad and it works...

Washer nozzles are off a Defender (imagines Canberra Deefer owners wandering out to check they still have theirs) and the pump and reservoir came from a national cheap place - so it's hardly surprising the pump leaks...

Little button on dash above ignition activates it.

harryj
3rd December 2011, 09:14 PM
G'day all,
On Thursday, we picked up our replacement mudguards, however, the gale-force winds on Friday kept us from starting work on them till today (Saturday). :mad: They cerainly need alot of hard work done to them. . . . :BigCry:

Firstly, I blasted off years of caked-on dirt with the pressure cleaner (using detergent). I then had to scrub the inside of the guards with steel-wool and sandpaper to remove the remaining corrosion and old paint (this took dad & I most of the day).

Tomorrow, I'll finish sanding them inside and out. There's dents to straighten, rusty bolts to replace etc.

Cheers,
Harry jnr

VK3UTE
11th December 2011, 04:06 PM
Replaced Mary's valve stem seals after I put the incorrect ones in:mad: (should have been the o ring type) a very delicate operation to complete without taking the head off!:angel: glads that job's over!

drifter
11th December 2011, 07:39 PM
New rear diff sump plug (the old one was round - stilson wrench couldn't get a grip - it became a hammer and chisel effort)
New rear diff pinion oil seal
New universals fitted to rear drive shaft

VK3UTE
15th December 2011, 07:38 PM
Fitted new door seals, painted the floor panels and foot wells. She's a lot quieter to drive with the floor back in:)

slippery
20th December 2011, 04:41 PM
All I did was start my ex army 6 cyclinder, do it once a month, it just sits in the garage until the clutch sticks to the fly wheel, then I take it for a drive to the servo and back home again, has used about 5 tanks of fuel in the last 16 years, all original.

VK3UTE
29th December 2011, 08:49 AM
Fitted new tie rod ends and made a drop down bracket for the steering damper so the winch drive will fit;). Took her for a drive with the door tops off:cool: Nice!

drifter
29th December 2011, 09:12 AM
New universals on front driveshaft.

VK3UTE
5th January 2012, 09:36 PM
Pulled apart the front springs, cleaned, painted and refitted them with new bushes. Boy those chassis bushes are a bitch to replace:2up: I feel like I'm a better person for surviving the experience. Next job is to do it all again with the rear springs, I'm ready for it this time:bat:

drifter
7th January 2012, 08:59 PM
Mucked about with the new tyres - have sourced a set of straight D1 rims I will use (my Series 2a rims appear to be bent :( )

Took 5 Sunraysia rims with big fat stuffed tyres still on them to the dump. (The rims were pretty stuffed, too - the only use they had left in them was a home for the redback colonies that have been calling them home).

Removed the drivers side manifold for inspection - that was not an easy task but I needed it out to read the casting mark on it:

1. to replace it because I have found a hole in it
2. if I can't find a replacement, get it welded.

I'll need to get a set of exhaust manifold gaskets - it hasn't got any :eek:

I'm told that was common when they first came out of the factory but I cannot believe a 1973 253 is that straight any more...

bushhack
13th January 2012, 07:14 PM
replaced clutch master and slave
new brake line
another front diff center
new front wheel bearings seals and runners
fun and games!

Lotz-A-Landies
13th January 2012, 07:24 PM
Changed the General Grabber tyres for correct Olympic Steeltrek tyres.

drifter
13th January 2012, 08:32 PM
Tyres and rims came together today. They look - er - like D1 rims on a series LR. Silverstone AT tyres.

Exhaust manifold got repaired - I couldn't find a replacement one anywhere. There were 4 cracks and a hole in it. I only saw 1 crack and the hole. When the other 3 cracks were pointed out they were obvious :eek:

So, I'll be searching further afield for replacement manifolds. I am told the repair will work but I would like to have 'spares'... just in case.

isuzutoo-eh
25th February 2012, 02:51 PM
Her birthday was nearly a month ago and all she had was a hand crank and a stomp on each pedal to prevent seizing, and a promise to get back into the rebuild asap. Alas money has been wasted on the registered Landy that would have been better spent on the Series, but thems the breaks.
Today I connected the freshly charged battery, checked fluids, gave the starter a whirl and bingo she was alive again. Up and down the driveway a few times, running like a sewing machine. So parked her on the nature strip for a thorough wash inside and out.

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/02/223.jpg

Also the first time I have had both Landies in the same photo!

grey_ghost
27th February 2012, 03:48 PM
I had a big weekend working on various jobs... They included:
* Paint inside drivers door
* Remove 4 x existing tread strips (drill out pop rivets) from ute tray
* Sand 4 x existing tread strips
* Clean 4 x existing tread strips.
* Paint 4 x existing tread strips (clear coat)
* Sand/Clean/Paint - Radiator Cap (clear coat)
* Sand/Clean Bonnet bracket
* Bonnet - reinstall 4 x rubber strips
* Re-Fit bonnet (with new bonnet retaining clip)
* Install bonnet protection strip
* Install Radiator, cowling, support bracket, all hoses (top/middle/bottom)
* Install Drivers Door (new hinge kit, grease, cut/fit new lock, sand/paint brackets, adjust).
* Install Passenger Door (new hinge kit, grease, cut/fit new lock, sand/paint brackets, adjust)
* Refit drivers rear U-Bolts.
* Make 1 x tread strip for top of tray
* Clean Gal on underside of ute capping.
* Clean spare wheel bracket.
* Assemble/Install Drivers Vent

That's what I can remember anyway!

The Grey Ghost

jerryd
28th February 2012, 10:49 PM
I've been rebuilding the front end on the dormobile on and off for what seems like weeks :(
So on sunday I started putting it back together :) I've had the springs re built and fitted new bushes,drivers side had sagged 45mm and the passenger side 32mm :eek: M R Automotive have supplied me with some special EFS front shocks. I've cleaned and painted the stage 1 axle and all the other bits 'n pieces that looked horrible. While underneath I decided to take a wing off and inspect the firewall, luckily all in rust free condition so I cleaned and painted that too. I've stripped all components to bare metal and used two pack for the black shiny bits.

Next job is to renew the brakes on this axle, needs cylinders,shoes and I'll fit new drums too. The swivels look new which is a bonus, I'm hoping that this work is going to transform the ride :) as before the suspension didn't seem to work :D
The shocks I took off have "rover" stamped on them with a number below, could these be the original shocks @ 36 years old ??? They certainly look past it.

A few pics........

drifter
31st March 2012, 05:47 PM
Bit of a crap day today, doing the Land Rover waltz (one step forward, two back)...

Got new door seals on the front passenger door today but not totally happy with the job - so I didn't do the drivers door yet - I'll think about it first...

Popped the front drivers side wheel off too - replaced the brake shoes and couldn't get the new drum on - no way it was going to fit (and, yes, I pulled the adjusters right back). The old shoes weren't really badly worn so I put them back on - and the new drum was a very tight fit...

I am starting to think all the shoes I have are oversize and the new drums are original size...

I am hoping tomorrow will be more productive :(

shorty943
4th April 2012, 08:17 AM
Hmmm, not a real lot.
Began fabricating the new engine and gearbox mounts, then it got warm so I sat in the shade and drank beer instead.:angel:

isuzutoo-eh
7th May 2012, 06:50 AM
Put the truck cab on, made an overflow bottle and holder, attached rear builder's plate, checked fluid levels and went for an adventure.

JDNSW
7th May 2012, 10:06 AM
Got a load + trailer of firewood.

John

series3
1st June 2012, 12:20 AM
Today I took my rear crossmember from this:

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/06/1337.jpg

To this:

http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp144/series3/painting%20chassis/CIMG5206.jpg

Taking the tub and seatbox off brought out some of my more exotic language, seeing as they snapped more often than not. But I got there. Taking off a hardtop alone is a makes for a real giggle!

Sam

isuzutoo-eh
2nd June 2012, 09:16 AM
G'day Sam,
Spose you don't want to go for a drive this weekend :p
Looks good! Mine had the most rust behind the towing plate, the bolts had corroded down to less than a 1/4" diameter. It was easier to break them than unscrew!

series3
2nd June 2012, 01:31 PM
Ha, I wash thinking how fun it would be to do some offroading without the bodywork..

I am just treating surface rust on the top parts of the chassis; a leaky gearbox, TC and rear diff means that the old girl has been self-medicating some quality rust prevention on a majority of the chassis! Waiting for weather to clear for another coat of black and then reassembly... should be back on the road within the week.

Sam

VK3UTE
2nd June 2012, 03:20 PM
This is my effort last weekend, rebuilt Mary's heater. Had a nightmare of a time repairing the heater core but got there in the end. Beautiful and warm in the cab now:)

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/06/1223.jpg

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/06/1223.jpg

Cheers Simon

Col.Coleman
2nd June 2012, 05:04 PM
This is my effort last weekend, rebuilt Mary's heater. Had a nightmare of a time repairing the heater core but got there in the end. Beautiful and warm in the cab now:)

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/members/vk3ute-albums-mary2-picture3485-cid-954.jpg

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/members/vk3ute-albums-mary2-picture3486-cid-907.jpg

Cheers Simon

Tell me more please. I have a couple of these to do.

CC

VK3UTE
2nd June 2012, 06:30 PM
I had leaks in each header tank and each core where it's soldered to the tank. Difficult to explain but when soldering the lids on the tanks if you use too much heat all the solder around the cores will just melt and drop on the ground. It's been years since I've done much soft soldering so it took me some time to get the hang of it again.
5 out of the 6 cores were completely blocked so I pickled the core with the tanks removed in a 10 to 1 mix of hot water and hydrochloric acid (a bit dangerous:eek:). Repeated this 3 times and once complete I washed the core in laundry detergent as the caustic does a good job of neutralizing the acid. I then sandblasted the areas that needed soldering to keep things as clean as possible.
Once done I pressure tested the core to about 20 psi

The rest was easy, sandblast and paint. A bit of masking tape over the original name plate stops any damage to it during the sandblasting.

I'm happy with the result even though the paint is a little different to the original, I couldn't find anything exactly the same

Would you believe that took me 2 days by the time I fitted it properly to the car and another night in the shed trying to fix the water tap which failed

Cheers Simon:)

Col.Coleman
2nd June 2012, 06:40 PM
Was wondering how much work it would take, mainly around the core. I have been looking for new cores and found some sort of close in the UK. THe outside cases are straight forward, but where the water goes is another matter.

Mine are the Smiths type.

You have inspired me to maybe try to fix the original, rather than just swap out parts. Especially since one is on my Ex-Snowy Series 1.

Cheers

CC

VK3UTE
2nd June 2012, 10:40 PM
Acid cleaning and sandblasting makes all the difference, the cleaner the better. Use heaps of flux and be super careful with the heat. Have a go you have nothing to lose!:angel:

Cheers Simon

VK3UTE
3rd June 2012, 04:31 PM
Fitted Mary's PTO after a good clean and service, still have to paint the drum and bearing cover.

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/members/vk3ute-albums-mary2-picture3493-cid-pto.jpg

Next job is to clean up her tow bar, what a mess

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/members/vk3ute-albums-mary2-picture3491-tow-bar.jpg

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/members/vk3ute-albums-mary2-picture3492-tow-bar-ball.jpg

Does anyone know or have a photo of what the tongue should look like, this one has been butchered:mad: Any help would be much appreciated

Cheers Simon

pop058
3rd June 2012, 04:55 PM
My lovely Wife found this shorty a couple of weeks ago. Was a few days to agree on a figure and picked it up today.

Suffix G chassis, so late 68-71 era.

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/06/1198.jpg

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/06/1175.jpg

pop058
3rd June 2012, 06:28 PM
snip <

Does anyone know or have a photo of what the tongue should look like, this one has been butchered:mad: Any help would be much appreciated

Cheers Simon

snip <

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/06/1175.jpg

Simon (VK3UTE),

only pic I have of a civy hitch

VK3UTE
3rd June 2012, 07:07 PM
Thanks Paul.

Gee thats a great landy you picked up there, how goods your wife!:TakeABow:

VK3UTE
17th June 2012, 02:33 PM
Cleaned up and painted the tow bar

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/members/vk3ute-albums-mary2-picture3503-finished-tow-bar.jpg

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/members/vk3ute-albums-mary2-picture3505-finished-pto.jpg

PTO install all finished, turned out well (pardon the pun!):D

Dinty
17th June 2012, 03:37 PM
I was going to drive one of my S2A 88"GS but it had other ideas, the clutch slave cylinder had leaked out since it was used last on 25th April, so off to the car club run in the wifes car.:(
Since coming home I have removed the floor sections x 3 and taken the offending cylinder out, it will get a S/Steel liner put in later this week, cheers Dennis:angel:
ps I can't complain, the cylinder was put in back in 1999, which by the way was last Century LOL,,.

drifter
24th June 2012, 05:04 PM
Today was a good day to do something.

New wheels (tyres and rims) on the S3. New petrol filler hose. New gear knob :)

Checked all lights and bulbs - replaced all lenses - a couple of bulbs to buy and a couple of earths to sort out. Even the reverse lights glow...

Installed a choke cable! (It was already getting tiresome opening the bonnet, activating the choke, hopping in and starting the car, wait a while, hop out, deactivate the choke...)

Removed jerry can holder from the rear. Checked radiator fluid. Topped up. Filled windscreen washer bottle - but that didn't work - the motor works but either the pump doesn't or there is a blockage in the nozzles.

Thought about replacing the wiper blades - but didn't.

Rerouted the oil pressure wire so it isn't wrapped around the exhaust manifold.

Replaced the spotlight relay because the old one broke off the mount on the guard.

The next visit (I currently have it on a property an hours drive away) will be to replace the spark plugs, leads, coil and dizzy cover (and rotor if I remember to get a new one).

Took it for a blat - 80kph downhill with little effort - and it stopped VERY quickly when asked.

No discernable drive train noise (I have only just bought it so that was one of the unknowns).

It was a good day.

incisor
24th June 2012, 06:40 PM
i very nearly got mine driveable.....

maybe tomorrow :p

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/

pop058
24th June 2012, 07:11 PM
i very nearly got mine driveable.....

maybe tomorrow :p

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/attachment.php?attachmentid=48247&stc=1&d=1340530401

looking and (dare I ask), stopping good Inc :)

harryj
1st July 2012, 05:52 PM
Got a fair bit of work done today, I: :)

-Cleaned, sanded and primed the radiator of the 'new' Landy in our family
-Cleaned, sanded/rust-treated battery hold-down clamp of the 'new' Landy
-Cleaned, sanded, primed air-cleaner of 'new' Landy
-Cleaned, sanded, primed hubs to be fitted to the rear of 'Mr Mockagie'

Topcoats (gloss black) tomorrow.

Dad:
-Made lots of progress on Mr Mockagie's mudgurads, which included spraying the primer on. Topcoat tomorrow. :)
-Cleaned the mess up that I made. . . . :wasntme:

P.s Read more about the 'new' Landy in our family by clicking on the following link:
http://www.aulro.com/afvb/showthread.php?p=1710028#post1710028

Cheers, Harry Jnr

drifter
15th July 2012, 08:19 PM
Not a lot done this weekend. Got the Stage 1 home and, so far:

New coil lead
Put rubber sheet under battery
Install new battery
Install battery clamps and brackets
Re-install master cut off switch for battery (I had removed it)
Fix front park light and checked all external lights again (all lamp covers and bulbs had been checked and replaced where necessary a week ago. Front right park light had a broken earth wire and the wires leading to the lights in that guard were stretched too tight.)
Fit Steering Wheel cover
Install rear work light (wiring was already in place but not connected to anything either end)
Replace ignition switch

MuckUte
15th July 2012, 09:08 PM
Spent a day and a half replacing the passenger side footwell, not looking forward to doing the drivers side

Landy Smurf
16th July 2012, 05:55 PM
gave it a wash

VK3UTE
21st July 2012, 03:08 PM
Fitted a new speedo cable and H4 headlights to Mary. Can actually see where we're going now:eek:

korg20000bc
21st July 2012, 03:20 PM
Swapped out the starter motor in my 2a with one from a doner s3. It now seems better than ever. The joy of not crank starting!

wrinklearthur
21st July 2012, 05:58 PM
I have been busy on and off dismantling a 2A imported model SW over the last couple of weeks.
Pulled the middle and rear seat out and sold them today to a chap who had advertised for them on Gumtree.
He was delighted with them even though they all needed recovering.

I took him on a guided tour of the bits of Land rovers in my backyard.
Like a kid in a lolly shop he soon spotted some more bits that he wanted and now has added a few more items to his wish list.
I do like it when I can help out fellow enthusiast. :)

rosco114
21st July 2012, 06:29 PM
Changed the fuel filter on the D2a Td5 and drilled new 12mm holes in the roller fair lead to fit the ironman 9500 onto the ARB bar. It was a lovely day in Hobart.

andy_d110
22nd July 2012, 11:23 PM
Replaced shackle pins, spring bushes and U bolts on the rear of Thomas my 1954 86".

shorty943
8th August 2012, 10:36 AM
Been too damned cold to work on a concrete floor under a carport lately.
But, I did finally clean out the shed and now have room to build the new bits so I can finish the engine\gearbox\t-case installation.

incisor
8th August 2012, 11:51 AM
i got mine looking like this :p

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2013/02/1108.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/niknodave/7722588506/)
madge_009 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/niknodave/7722588506/) by NiknoDave (http://www.flickr.com/people/niknodave/), on Flickr

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2013/02/1109.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/niknodave/7722585074/)
madge_007 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/niknodave/7722585074/) by NiknoDave (http://www.flickr.com/people/niknodave/), on Flickr

and on tuesday young Madge was successfully put on historic registration

and to celebrate i fitted rocky mountain door tops...

boy oh boy are they excellent value!

MacMan
8th August 2012, 12:09 PM
Very nice Dave!

mick88
8th August 2012, 12:51 PM
Looks good Dave!
What type of rims are they?

Cheers, Mick.

incisor
8th August 2012, 01:20 PM
standard centers with the offset altered to get the best width still under guard... reversed rims they used to call them i think.

cant remember the offset as it was 10 years ago :p

but am about to get them redone in tubeless or get some wolf tubeless rims.

makes the old girl a lot more stable...

juddy
8th August 2012, 02:34 PM
Not done too much, started to blast the rear tub, and a few bits on the cab..

Before
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/08/1333.jpg

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/08/1334.jpg

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/08/1335.jpg

After

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/08/1336.jpg

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/08/1337.jpg

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/08/1338.jpg

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/08/1339.jpg

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/08/1340.jpg

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/08/1341.jpg

The ho har's
8th August 2012, 05:19 PM
refitted the rear axles back into 'connie-sue' and bled the brakes:)

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/08/1331.jpg

must get a better pic;)

Mrs hh:angel:

harryj
8th August 2012, 05:42 PM
Hey Juddy, good work ol' chap.
What paint did you use on the chassis? Is it an industrial paint?

juddy
10th August 2012, 07:24 PM
Hey Juddy, good work ol' chap.
What paint did you use on the chassis? Is it an industrial paint?

PM sent

juddy
10th August 2012, 07:26 PM
Supply drop today

Can you guess whats in the box, and what would you use all those nuts and bolts for, ( these are all genuine Land Rover Parts )
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/08/1259.jpg
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/08/1260.jpg
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/08/1261.jpg

Ratel10mm
10th August 2012, 10:36 PM
Fitted the wide AT wheels. Fiddled with the brakes. I suspect almost every snail is stuffed!! :mad:

harryj
15th August 2012, 06:28 PM
Fitted the wide AT wheels. Fiddled with the brakes. I suspect almost every snail is stuffed!! :mad:

Gee I wish it was like that in my veggie garden. I keep having to put the beer trap out!

wrinklearthur
15th August 2012, 07:08 PM

If the snail cam is running out of adjustment , I would be checking the inside diameter of the drums, as they are probably pass their usable limits.

Natt
22nd August 2012, 05:42 AM
my days of are like ground hog days....spray that oil remover on the leaky bits, motor, gearbox, diffs...... hose off and its done:D

juddy
30th August 2012, 09:03 PM
Over the last few weeks or so, I have gone the hole hog, and taken the front axle apart, it was the best method for cleaning, and great fun:D

I have also been thinking of a better brake system and really like the remote servo unit, its not a S3 unit, and you dont have to change the pedal box over...
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/08/52.jpg

A few spares
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/08/53.jpg

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/08/54.jpg

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/08/55.jpg

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/08/56.jpg

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/08/57.jpg

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/08/58.jpg

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/08/59.jpg

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/08/60.jpg

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/08/61.jpg

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/08/62.jpg
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/08/62.jpg

debruiser
4th September 2012, 07:26 PM
Just put back in my seat supports! Someone had put in some non-landrover seats so I decided to get some new original style seats! Stick the old brackets back in because they were with the car. Only one little problem, there is one of the back rest supports missing! :(

There are plenty of you out there that have changed to nice plush seats, would anyone happen to have a bracket they wouldn't mind separating with?

Also installed the wheel retaining bracket that I got today. Loooooks good to me.

isuzutoo-eh
5th September 2012, 09:54 AM
Ran out of fuel on the way home from the LROCS committee meeting last night. :oops:
Luckily only 500 metres from home and a quarter of a jerry of stale unleaded to tide it over.

Also painted the springs with a diesel/sump oil mix, fed the security spider, adjusted all fluid levels and checked tyre pressures.

Xtreme
5th September 2012, 10:19 AM
Ran out of fuel on the way home from the LROCS committee meeting last night. :oops:
Luckily only 500 metres from home and a quarter of a jerry of stale unleaded to tide it over.

Also painted the springs with a diesel/sump oil mix, fed the security spider, adjusted all fluid levels and checked tyre pressures.

Hi Mark - Did you use that tool I lent you to get the oil/diesel mix [B]between[B] the leaves of the springs?

isuzutoo-eh
5th September 2012, 01:13 PM
Hi Mark - Did you use that tool I lent you to get the oil/diesel mix [B]between[B] the leaves of the springs?

Sure did:D The weekend after you loaned it to me, using straight grease rather than the mix. Nifty bit of kit that. This time I had been cleaning some greasy parts in diesel and didn't feel like wasting the byproduct :cool:

juddy
6th September 2012, 06:29 PM
Following on from the gunk, i had to play with the following pictures show further progress..
These are the under wing splash plates, I thought they were ok, but fter removing them, ones got a fair bit of swiss cheese, the other ones got a slight bend, and the steering box cover (not show ) is very bad, so I have opted to replace with some Genuine Land Rover ones...
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/09/1219.jpg

These are one set of brake cylinder that I removed, I am going to re sleeve and put into stock...
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/09/1220.jpg

This pictures shows Front bearing components, brake pipe and set boltshttps://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/09/1221.jpg

Here we have, swivel pin lever ( middle of picture ) Retainer for oil seal right hand side of picture, steering drop arm, left, bottom of picture longitudinal steering tube, with one new ball joint, old cut one in the other end still
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/09/1222.jpg

VK3UTE
10th September 2012, 06:39 PM
Hi All. New mud flaps arrived the other day from the UK, finally found the time to fit them.

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/09/1041.jpg

Before
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/09/1042.jpg

Job done
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/09/1043.jpg

Cheers Simon

Homestar
10th September 2012, 08:24 PM
Got it running for the first time in years. Pulled off, cleaned, unstuck/ungunked and replaced the clutch master and slave, bled it up and took it for a quick drive - well, not 'quick' as in fast, but 'quick' as in short...:D No brakes though, so that was entertaining...

debruiser
11th September 2012, 05:26 PM
did a radiator flush, oil change, new water pump, new thermostat, bled the brakes and drove it out of and then into the shed! major milestone. had to then have a beer before fitting lower dash.

Ozdunc
12th September 2012, 08:33 AM
Hi All. New mud flaps arrived the other day from the UK, finally found the time to fit them.

Cheers Simon

Good choice of beer:)

juddy
12th September 2012, 08:12 PM
Another dat another land rover job or 2

Nearly there with the swivel hub, brake rebuild.
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/09/940.jpg

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/09/941.jpg

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/09/942.jpg

These are now spares as I HAVE ALREADY FITTED SOME
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/09/943.jpg

These just need a paint

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/09/944.jpg

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/09/945.jpg

Painted these too

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/09/774.jpg
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/09/946.jpg

Fitted Automec pipe
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/09/947.jpg

just needs a clean and it will be fine

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/09/948.jpg

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/09/949.jpg

jerryd
16th September 2012, 10:35 PM
^^^ Good job on the rims ;)

I've been messing about trying to decide where to fit this external shower box :confused:

This position is good but takes up valuable space in the wardrobe, I'm tempted to cut it into the passenger rear wing, so it sits inside the tool box with the pump but I'd prefer it on the driver's side.

Lotz-A-Landies
17th September 2012, 12:23 AM
Another dat another land rover job or 2

....Painted these too

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/09/774.jpg

...Looking good! :BigThumb:

Just a point of information, the rim with the raised section around the PCD is from a SIII. These need a slightly longer stud than the regular/early SIIa. So when you fit it up, make sure you have sufficient penetration of the thread into/through the wheel nut.

Personally I fitted up the Clayton-Dewandre brake booster to the SIIB and discussed how to go about repairing the wheel wheelarch cutout by a PO. Also spent time with a mate working on a disk brake conversion kit for any series Landy.

Also painted a 20" rim for my Mk3, removed and painted the front LHS brake and hub, put a first coat of paint on the front and sides of the Mk3. Then re-fitted the newly painted and re-tyred wheel, so I can do the same process on the front RHS plus after that I did some work on the Defender bump stops.

juddy
17th September 2012, 11:20 AM
^^^ Good job on the rims ;)

I've been messing about trying to decide where to fit this external shower box :confused:

This position is good but takes up valuable space in the wardrobe, I'm tempted to cut it into the passenger rear wing, so it sits inside the tool box with the pump but I'd prefer it on the driver's side.

I think its better there than cutting a hole in your side panel. Any way campings all about traveling light you don't need a wardrobe, just turn your pants inside out for maximise usage.:wasntme: Then after that you can use them as a dish cloth, and after that a rag to mop up the daily oil leaks.

juddy
17th September 2012, 05:52 PM
Just a point of information, the rim with the raised section around the PCD is from a SIII. These need a slightly longer stud than the regular/early SIIa. So when you fit it up, make sure you have sufficient penetration of the thread into/through the wheel nut.

Now I never noticed this...

It came with them, so I take it as its a very late and one of the last S2a it should be fine, but I will have a closer look in the morning.

Thanks for the advice.

harryj
18th September 2012, 06:55 PM
Dad and I have begun resto work on our very rare Carawagon . . .
See the link below. ;)

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/slow-chat/153335-another-landrover-joins-family.html

dandlandyman
27th November 2012, 10:45 AM
Not exactly a weekend's worth, but in the last ten days I've had a shattered passenger windscreen, torn the canvas hood loading a freebie bar fridge, and today I find my bypass radiator hose has sprung a leak! Hopefully if the old Rule of Threes rings true, that should be it for a while.

Maybe I've just jinxed it, though.....

Dan.
69 2A 88" pet4 (still in disguise), 68 2B FC pet6 (still resting quietly, for sale), plus 13 other pipedream projects (2xS2s, 5xS2As, 6xS3s).

jerryd
4th February 2013, 10:29 AM
Borrowed these door tops to give them a road test ;) What a transformation over the old style :BigThumb: I'll have to start saving !!

Trouble is, now I have to give them back :D

incisor
4th February 2013, 10:43 AM
Borrowed these door tops to give them a road test ;) What a transformation over the old style :BigThumb: I'll have to start saving !!

Trouble is, now I have to give them back :D

good hey!

beat anything else i have tried and i think i have tried them all :p

jerryd
4th February 2013, 04:13 PM
The "Rolls Royce" of door tops I'd say :) I'm wondering if you can make the rear door glass as good ??

juddy
4th February 2013, 08:51 PM
They look very good. Wish I had a pair....:TakeABow:

Landy Smurf
4th February 2013, 09:08 PM
how much would a pair of them cost?

juddy
4th February 2013, 09:27 PM
$500?

drifter
5th February 2013, 01:19 PM
Did the brakes on the stage 1 - new front wheel cylinders - new brake fluid through the system. New brake drums all around. Roadworthy and rego today.

juddy
5th February 2013, 07:29 PM
After what seems along time, today we moved the Workshop back home. Still many things to do, as ever on a Land Rover, but we will get there.

Big thank you to Jerry for the use of the shed, ( note get the power sorted for the next landy :wasntme:) and his assistance in the restoration, his kind words of " Should have bought a Toybota helped us through the depressing land rover moments "
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2013/02/1230.jpg
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2013/02/1231.jpg
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2013/02/1232.jpg
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2013/02/851.jpg
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2013/02/852.jpg
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2013/02/1233.jpg
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2013/02/1234.jpg

mick88
5th February 2013, 07:44 PM
Very nice!
But can I have the grille?

Cheers, Mick

jerryd
5th February 2013, 08:11 PM
Good luck with the remaining jobs ........

:banana::ehigh5::banana::arms::beer::BigThumb::spu dnikbackflip::spudnikparty:

:ehand::twobeers::rolleyes::woot::MileStone::wub:

Don't forget to pop back and clean the floor, and fix those leaks under your car :tease:

Gee it will be quiet from now on, I'll be able to drop my diesel motor in ;)

juddy
5th February 2013, 08:45 PM
I will be back next week, to clean the floor, and fix your leaks:wasntme:

Time for the Dorma to be rebuilt....

Lost Landy
8th February 2013, 12:13 AM
i got mine looking like this :p

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2013/02/1108.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/niknodave/7722588506/)
madge_009 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/niknodave/7722588506/) by NiknoDave (http://www.flickr.com/people/niknodave/), on Flickr

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2013/02/1109.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/niknodave/7722585074/)
madge_007 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/niknodave/7722585074/) by NiknoDave (http://www.flickr.com/people/niknodave/), on Flickr

and on tuesday young Madge was successfully put on historic registration

and to celebrate i fitted rocky mountain door tops...

boy oh boy are they excellent value!

Iam loving those tyres what brand are they? and where did you get them from? They would be ideal on my 86" series 1 :D

debruiser
9th February 2013, 08:38 PM
I have been installing my rebuilt steering box, new steering relay with clutch master and slave cylinders, as well as new piping for clutch.

Currently trying to bleed the clutch :( lots of air everywhere.... I think I'm getting closeish though. O and the guys who made up my new pipes didn't do a very good job of it either... I gave them the old pipes to copy and they still stuffed it up... had to bodge the new ones (that cost me $80) with my pliers cause I dont have any pipe bending tools! If I had the right tools I would have made my own pipes. It has been a saw point all afternoon!! :mad:

Good news is that I've nearly got steering again! just have to reassemble the dash bits around the steering column. Hopefully I can resurrect my indicator, the mounting bit has broken and i'm gluing that back up (cross your fingers for me). Then I just have to put the floor back in and I'm back on the road! yay!

I've been missing my S3 for the last month while it's been off the road, we only have the one other car (not that that worries us much) but I miss going for a spin in the LR.

wrinklearthur
9th February 2013, 08:58 PM
Replaced the contact and spring in the distributor cap for 'HECter', the old contact had pushed up into the cap and wasn't moving at all.

Then fitted some tidied up leads to the new bakelite spark plug covers, hope it's worth all the trouble I'm going to.

debruiser
9th February 2013, 09:04 PM
hope it's worth all the trouble I'm going to.

I think the same sometimes... but then I just think of the fun I have driving around in something as fun as a series LR. O, and individual as well!

harryj
10th February 2013, 03:17 PM
1. Looking good. Hmmm.... that trailer looks like it could do with a restoration though ;)
2. Charlies' Reynolds Boughton . . . . I definitely want one.

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2013/02/851.jpg
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2013/02/852.jpg

juddy
10th February 2013, 05:13 PM
Charlie's trailer looks like it should be scrapped, but it did the job.

Yes the RB is growing on me too, now I have driven it a fair bit, I should have some news regarding type approval next month for RB import certification....

isuzutoo-eh
13th April 2013, 04:40 PM
Did an oil change today and emptied the accumulated crunchy contents of my jerry can from the glass fuel bowl, seemed to have solved my fuel pump issue. A short drive seemed to clear the horn too so it works again-lucky since it'll need a pink slip before the month is out. Driving like a dream again, despite having sat for over two months.
Whilst driving around Carlingford came across a full rego shortie S3 on the footpath down from a D3/4, opposite the bush, well-kept, mustard with black bull bar, faded Army sticker on the back window...anyone here?

Xtreme
13th April 2013, 05:12 PM
Whilst driving around Carlingford came across a full rego shortie S3 on the footpath down from a D3/4, opposite the bush, well-kept, mustard with black bull bar, faded Army sticker on the back window...anyone here?

Not a member of AULRO Mark despite me encouraging him to join.
Has owned the Series III 88 since new and when not rebuilding it, is heavily involved with the NSW Lancers Memorial Museum at Parramatta.

isuzutoo-eh
13th April 2013, 06:11 PM
Interesting...I'll have to have a chat one of these days, I haven't seen it parked out on the footpath before and get along that street reasonably often when playtesting my Series.
That makes 3 shorties, an LWB Series, an occasional 130 single cab Puma and my 110 within 500 metres (Used to be an S3 FFR, 101 and some US sourced army trucks too) :)

Xtreme
13th April 2013, 08:22 PM
David's the name if you ever run into him.

happydad59
17th April 2013, 03:49 PM
Mark, Roger, I'm just down the hill and would like to link up for a chat and compare notes one day. Series IIa on the road but still a work in progress.
Peter

Xtreme
17th April 2013, 09:31 PM
Mark, Roger, I'm just down the hill and would like to link up for a chat and compare notes one day. Series IIa on the road but still a work in progress.
Peter

Hi Peter,

I'm away in Victoria at the moment but why don't you PM me your phone contact details and I'll give you a call and arrange something.

isuzutoo-eh
28th September 2013, 08:21 PM
Fitted a new Bearmach front prop shaft to my Series this evening, also found out how effective the brakes are (very) and how rubbish the tyres are on road (very) when an L-plater decided to change lanes during a multi-lane right turn intersection. Barely 4 inches between bumper and camry. My County would have hit with its extra weight!

drifter
28th October 2013, 09:18 AM
Weekend before last:
Roo bar on the front and relays, fuses and new wiring for the headlights and driving lights.

This weekend, swing away spare wheel carrier on the back.

isuzutoo-eh
30th November 2013, 10:36 AM
Fitted a new phenolic spacer under the carby, thanks to Inc for pointing to the source (All4x4), went for a 'blocky', waved to the old lady that loves to chat whilst I work on my cars , got a wave from a Defender driver, now for a longer run to burn the old fuel and make sure she's good to go, as ol' Mary will be my daily driver next week. Fingers crossed no rain as I still don't have door tops fitted!

Dougiem
6th December 2013, 10:30 PM
New plugs, heater box and blower back on, chassis fixed, rustproofed and painted, every drop of oil changed in everything, wings and windscreen back on. 69702

steed
7th December 2013, 09:52 PM
Stripped brake department off my stripped rear axle off my completely stripped chassy. To be sand blasted. Good greasy stuff.

JDNSW
8th December 2013, 07:49 PM
Check over and clean up to take to town for a pink slip on Tuesday. Everything seems to be working, although I still need to check the number plate light I just remember! Fitted a home made tonneau cover to keep the groceries out of the sun and away from prying eyes.

John