PDA

View Full Version : Of course one would not gloat

disco2hse
7th August 2011, 02:58 AM
After all, the crews need rescuing.

Mercedes-Benz G-Wagen | Technical problems | Outback (http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/updated-outback-cripples-mercedesbenzs-toughest-offroaders-20110805-1ie5s.html)

Barefoot Dave
7th August 2011, 11:05 AM
Just what we need, A major company promoting what kills people every year, going bush without proper preparation or spares:mad:
"a group of very experienced Outback operators who have the expertise and logistical knowledge to cover off any eventuality"
IF they have any qualifacations/ certification to operate, they should be stripped of them and drummed out of the industry.
If they wanted spares and were denied due to some bullcrap promo spin reason, they had a duty of care to walk away!
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
End rant
Dave.

Blknight.aus
7th August 2011, 11:16 AM
hang on, they only blew shock absorbers...

last time I crawled under a live axled 4x4 the shockies dont do a lot for axle location, just damping the bounce...

they couldnt lower the tyre pressure anddrive on at a slower more sensible pace that wouldnt cause problems because?(perhaps if they did that in the first place they may still have shocks?)

experienced my ass.

scarry
7th August 2011, 11:23 AM
Funny about that,wheel studs,shocks & other suspension parts breaking?

My D2,after two long Cape trips,a desert crossing,heaps & heaps of corrugations is still on it's original OEM rear shocks,& wheel studs.....:eek:

LR have done heaps of those types of trips,never heard of any major problems that immobilised most of the vehicles!

Tojo do it the easy way,don't do any of those types of trips
They get enough bad publicity without them:angel:

Barefoot Dave
7th August 2011, 11:46 AM
Of cause they had to stop and wait, otherwise the nasty reporters would write nasty things about poor NVH and ride quality levels :twisted:
Much better to sit around in the 'Sweltering' 30deg heat waiting.
FAILfailFailfaILLiaffliflaffLAFF any way you write it
Dave

VladTepes
7th August 2011, 07:27 PM
Tojo loving individual on another forum always takes opportunities to tell everyone how bad Land Rovers are.

"Someone" posted this story there and he found a way to make it prove how bad Land Rovers are...

APPARENTLY ALL coil sprung 4wd's are "reknown" for breaking shock absorbers "all the time"

Would never happen in a Toyota apparently.

460cixy
7th August 2011, 09:49 PM
(reknown) gold cause toyota dont make anything with coils :eek:

MR LSD
7th August 2011, 10:03 PM
(reknown) gold cause toyota dont make anything with coils :eek:

Get real get a rover g-wagon is just a Johnny came lately just like the rest of the crap this country was built on the back of land rover yet we seem to forget that. I think we should be saying if its good enough for the Queen its good enough for me:angel:

stig0000
7th August 2011, 10:06 PM
have only had 2 cars come in with blown shocks and both were disco 3s??

other then that shocky swaps cos they had 200k on them;)

Landy110
8th August 2011, 07:03 PM
I loved the comment from the Aus boss that they were expecting these failures, talk about trying to spin it. IF YOU WERE EXPECTING THE SHOCKS TO BURST WOULDN'T YOU THINK "WE'LL CARRY SOME SPARES"

Celtoid
8th August 2011, 09:59 PM
I loved the comment from the Aus boss that they were expecting these failures, talk about trying to spin it. IF YOU WERE EXPECTING THE SHOCKS TO BURST WOULDN'T YOU THINK "WE'LL CARRY SOME SPARES"

LOL....It's really, really bad spin....no reason to it what-so-ever.

If you expected all those failures...as you said..carry spares but more like..why go there..why not fit a better shock..are they trying to undermine their own product?:confused:....is there an underlying Australian management Vs German managment, covert operation going on....???

"Ve vill fit these shocks".....

"No mate, they'll be buggered faster than you can say Waltzing Matilda"...."Fit the good ones".

"Ve vill not, these are haarrd enough, they are German......oh bugger!!!!"

:D

Apologies to any of our German friends on this site....

Regards,

Kev.

superquag
8th August 2011, 10:17 PM
My own experience in the Printing industry makes me suspect that 'selling the prototypes' could be a German habit...:twisted:

ugu80
9th August 2011, 06:36 AM
Just what we need, A major company promoting what kills people every year, going bush without proper preparation or spares:mad:
"a group of very experienced Outback operators who have the expertise and logistical knowledge to cover off any eventuality"
IF they have any qualifacations/ certification to operate, they should be stripped of them and drummed out of the industry.
If they wanted spares and were denied due to some bullcrap promo spin reason, they had a duty of care to walk away!
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
End rant
Dave.

Sat phones, chartered aircraft at call, millions of dollars available for recovery. I think they had it covered.

ugu80
9th August 2011, 06:38 AM

From what I read, they actually took four shocks with them. Obviously not enough.

isuzubob
9th August 2011, 12:43 PM
More info here:

Mercedes-Benz Australia - Mercedes World - Canning Stock Route (http://www2.mercedes-benz.com.au/content/australia/mpc/mpc_australia__website/en/home_mpc/passengercars/home/passenger_cars_world/canning_stock_route.html)

Stuff like this can only be a good thing. Hopefully they might make an HD suspension setting standard for Oz, or at least an option. It's probably the reason why the mil-spec wagon didn't have any issues.

And it's quotes like this from Day 2 that has probably got the spoilt journo's upset.

"Well 6 was our intended overnight stop the day before, which we make in time for lunch today. Out come the sangers and spam, which most people lather in sauce to mask the taste."

Why didn't M-B have a decent tucker truck with them? I'm sure there is a spare Mog or Zetros parked up at M-B HQ. I don't know about anyone else but I have never had spam or similar crap when out bush. Usually eat like kings, actually.

Don't worry, this will get back to Stuttgart and the questions will demand answers. (And I'm not necessarily talking about the shocks :p)

TerryO
9th August 2011, 12:58 PM
I guess if it gets any worse and they keep breaking down we could always organise a rescue team of half a dozen WA Aulro members to go out and drag them back in with their Disco's and Fenders for a small fee. :angel:

cheers,
Terry

PAT303
9th August 2011, 01:50 PM
I'm in,they are only up the road. Pat

KarlB
9th August 2011, 04:03 PM
According to the Mercedes' website there are five G350 wagons and two G-professionals (a wagon and a utility). The Mercedes' website does not seem to make any reference to Australian or any other Military Specs. The G-professionals (not currently sold in Australia) are essentially the commercial versions of the G Wagons. They are marginally lighter, and detuned to give better fuel consumption. They are not as luxuriously appointed. They also come standard with 16 inch tyres though I don't know what size tyres any of the vehicles are running. The G350s come standard with 18 inch tyres in Australia I would be surprised if that is not what they are using on the trip, with the standard 16s on the G-professionals. I think we can be reasonably sure that it is not the G-professional vehicles being driven by the journalists. I suspect that drivers and tyres are likely to have been major contibutors to the woes experienced.

Cheers
KarlB
:)

clubagreenie
9th August 2011, 04:16 PM
I'm guessing that if a customer called from their sat phone on the route to order some shocks under warranty freight wouldn't be included.

isuzubob
10th August 2011, 12:17 PM
Looks like all is well.
Mercedes-Benz G-Wagen suspension issues | Canning Stock Route (http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-news/mercedesbenz-claims-outback-first-20110809-1ik11.html)

More info & $ estimates of Professional here
No testing in Australia, says Benz (http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-news/no-testing-in-australia-says-benz-20110805-1iexa.html)

What I can't believe is that the G 350 has the same suspension set up as the AMG G 55.

"Part of the problem is that the G350... uses the same suspension set-up as the fire-breathing G55 AMG that needs a stiffer ride to handle the higher cornering speeds that the 5.5-litre V8 is able to generate.

However, Mercedes-Benz Australia spokesman David McCarthy says a post-launch meeting for the G-Class it only arrived in Australia early this year after a 20-year absence from the market decided the default suspension was too stiff.

He says vehicles arriving in September will have a softer suspension setting that should help with the tougher Australian conditions."

If that's the case then that's a bad engineering decision that should have been picked up before local deliveries began, or had it as an option.

flagg
10th August 2011, 09:39 PM
Stuff like this can only be a good thing. Hopefully they might make an HD suspension setting standard for Oz, or at least an option.

If I paid $176 000 for a 4x4 I'd want definitely want decent suspension as standard..

alexturner
10th August 2011, 11:06 PM
On a side note, this G-VAAAGEN looks like a hideous hybrid of the 110 and a Land Cruiser.

Thank god I own a Land Rover.

Freightdog
11th August 2011, 08:22 AM
With all the chest beating going on, I might point out that this appears to be a test drive before these vehicles arrive on the Oz market.

A much better scenario than no test drive at all! The faults have been discovered (I would hope), and hopefully will be rectified.

DiscoMick
11th August 2011, 08:30 PM
They took a bunch of autobahn hot rods over the worst corrugations in Oz, wrecked the shocks and spare wheel carriers, and then claimed it was some kind of achievement?