PDA

View Full Version : G Series Mercedes

games1
8th August 2011, 04:29 PM
Hi. Could not find any thread relating to this topic so hope in the correct place.

Just read a small article regarding seven Military Spec G series doing the Canning Stock Route. Six of the vehicles have had suspension problems requiring the fly in of parts. Great Army vehicle???.

Did the CSR in a Series 2 back in 1963 as part my work and other than several axles and punctures survived quite well. Hope the Army has not made another Boo Boo.

101RRS
8th August 2011, 04:35 PM
There are other threads on this - they were civilian G wagens accompanied by one Aust Mil spec vehicle that had no issues.

Garry

KarlB
8th August 2011, 05:07 PM
According to the Mercedes website there are five G350 wagons and two G-professionals (a wagon and a utility). The website does not seem to make any reference to Australian Military Specs (see Mercedes-Benz Australia - Mercedes World - Canning Stock Route (http://www2.mercedes-benz.com.au/content/australia/mpc/mpc_australia__website/en/home_mpc/passengercars/home/passenger_cars_world/canning_stock_route.html)).

Cheers
KarlB
:)

Lotz-A-Landies
8th August 2011, 05:13 PM
In the SMH and Age "Five "normal" versions of the G-Class off-roader - and one military-specification ute - started to burst mainly rear shock absorbers while travelling along stretches of the stock route extending from Well 33 to Well 35." Mercedes-Benz G-Wagen | Technical problems | Outback (http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-news/updated-outback-cripples-mercedesbenzs-toughest-offroaders-20110805-1ie5s.html)

wrinklearthur
8th August 2011, 07:48 PM
"
The G-Class is more than up to the challenge of taking on this terrain and environment without punishing the drivers and passengers. I canít think of anywhere else that would challenge the G-Class quite as comprehensively as the Canning Stock Route.
"

Cheers Arthur

Oggie
8th August 2011, 08:31 PM
Having done the CSR in "civilian" discos twice with the biggest problem being two punctures in two trips I wonder. Either the prep wasn't done or the vehicles are a bit soft.