PDA

View Full Version : ALDI winch? Any good?

Sparksdisco
26th August 2011, 06:15 PM
My mom in VIC saw that the aldi winches are for sale again. Are these winches any good?

My mum was going to buy one for me for christmas and bring it upwith her when i see her.

It will be going onto a D1 with ARB winch bar.
Will it come with everything needed to ount it or do i have to make some brakets up for it. Also I assume it comes with all the solnoids to make it work.

Some advice will be great cheers

Sparks

Mick_Marsh
26th August 2011, 07:02 PM
I will be trying to get one.
http://www.aulro.com/afvb/showthread.php?p=1533613#post1533613
Bear in mind, I've not have much success with Aldi stuff.

Fluids
26th August 2011, 08:21 PM
I've had one for almost a year now (thanks Mark!).

It has been faultless.

... and one day soon it will come out of its box and get installed on the front of the D2 !! :p

But seriously, it seems that they are OK. Need to strip down, clean out the pretend grease and re-grease with some decent lube. It's not a comp' winch, but for $399 if it saves your butt a few times it's paid for itself. Search the forum. There's enough good comments about them from those who have gone before.

O-D
29th August 2011, 09:18 PM
But seriously, it seems that they are OK. Need to strip down, clean out the pretend grease and re-grease with some decent lube.
Hi Fluids. What's the best sort of grease to use on a winch?

Fluids
29th August 2011, 09:48 PM
Hi Oli.

Ah, winch grease ... :p

... a good quality marine grade should be fine, and if you're doing regular water crossings the unit should be stripped cleaned & re-greased reqularly.

Others here are more qualified to reccomend a specific brand & type .... anyone ?

Blknight.aus
29th August 2011, 09:54 PM
high temp wheel bearing grease is my lube of choice.

some people have had success with high moly greases

jazzaD1
29th August 2011, 10:26 PM
i re-greased mine with a castrol molybdenum grease when i first got it, and have used it for many recoveries, even once when it was fully submerged underwater! no worries at all, at that price, you cant go wrong, one thing i would suggest is upgrading the wiring in the future, they get a bit warm after a decent pull, i haven't changed mine yet, but its on the list...

John W
29th August 2011, 10:52 PM
Interesting; has anyone had experience in fitting one into a D2 ARB steel winch bar? Is it an easy fit, just bolt in or do you need to do a little fabrication?

woody
30th August 2011, 07:04 PM
this may seem a silly question, If I was to go solo through the desert would I be better to buy something more expensive like an Ironman or T-max etc? Or would one of these units be ok if I followed the advice and re-packed it.

I would also have a backup tirfor in case anything failed.

weeds
30th August 2011, 09:34 PM
Hey woody not much to winch off in the desert. If you are sticking to the main tracks than I would no winch is required......I didn't need one crossing the Simpson

Which desert?

Psimpson7
30th August 2011, 09:56 PM
this may seem a silly question, If I was to go solo through the desert would I be better to buy something more expensive like an Ironman or T-max etc? .

I think they probably all come from the same factory. All of them would be fine.

If you are really worried, buy a Warn, otherwise just get the Aldi one!

awabbit6
30th August 2011, 09:59 PM
Interesting; has anyone had experience in fitting one into a D2 ARB steel winch bar? Is it an easy fit, just bolt in or do you need to do a little fabrication?

I've got one on my D2 with an ARB bar. It's not quite a bolt up fit.
I had to rotate the end housing so that the clutch lever was at the top and accessible but that can be done when re-greasing. I also found that the mounting bolts were not quite long enough. I think they were only about 10mm too short. Finally, I had to make a bracket to mount the relay/switch box.

Not a difficult fit but not just a bolt up job.

Blknight.aus
30th August 2011, 10:18 PM
this may seem a silly question, If I was to go solo through the desert would I be better to buy something more expensive like an Ironman or T-max etc? Or would one of these units be ok if I followed the advice and re-packed it.

I would also have a backup tirfor in case anything failed.

buy a tirfor.

nothing teaches you to drive properly better than a tirfor.

rovercare
30th August 2011, 10:54 PM
buy a tirfor.

****'s of things, buy an electric winch:p

O-D
31st August 2011, 06:30 AM
Not a difficult fit but not just a bolt up job.
But they do attach directly onto the ARB bull bar with no need for a winch cradle from the chassis then?

87County
31st August 2011, 06:54 AM
Don't worry if you miss out - supercheap have theirs at about that price during sales / specials etc.

Homestar
31st August 2011, 07:58 AM
Don't worry if you miss out - supercheap have theirs at about that price during sales / specials etc.

Yep, the supercheap ones are only $415 at the moment- my guess is they would come out of the same factory - I am thinking of getting one of these ones myself.

This is the one - http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/RIDGE-RYDER-9-500LB-12V-RECOVERY-WINCH.aspx?pid=219721#Description

woody
31st August 2011, 04:07 PM
Hey woody not much to winch off in the desert. If you are sticking to the main tracks than I would no winch is required......I didn't need one crossing the Simpson

Which desert?

Simpson Desert via Hay River track, I know that I shouldn't have problems, but going solo we need to be prepared. I can always improvise an anchor with spare tyre or pickets or maybe a sand anchor.

thanks for the advice

woody

woody
31st August 2011, 05:00 PM
buy a tirfor.

I think my Hi lift jack set up for winching trumps your tirfor ;)

Blknight.aus
31st August 2011, 05:48 PM
using a highlift as a winch is usually the last desperate act of a madman.....

I'll raise you to trying to do a recovery using a chain and a pair of dogs.

(to keep it thread related)

look after it well and the aldi winch will keep you out of trouble, with the money you save you can also purchase a snatchblock to suit it and if you're handy make a set of anchors for it.

awabbit6
31st August 2011, 06:20 PM
But they do attach directly onto the ARB bull bar with no need for a winch cradle from the chassis then?

Yes. The mounts on the ARB bar suit the winch with no need for a cradle.

woody
31st August 2011, 09:48 PM

I'll raise you to trying to do a recovery using a chain and a pair of dogs.

(to keep it thread related)

look after it well and the aldi winch will keep you out of trouble, with the money you save you can also purchase a snatchblock to suit it and if you're handy make a set of anchors for it.

Ok, I fold.

all I've got left is some telecom rope and a couple of truckies hitches :(

thanks for the advice

Blknight.aus
31st August 2011, 09:55 PM
Ok, I fold.

all I've got left is some telecom rope and a couple of truckies hitches :(

thanks for the advice

Closest Ive come to that is a spanish windlass, but that was only to demo it in real life, we had other options and werent that stuck....

if you want to come round I can show you some of the oddsnsods gear I keep handy for bodgin up anchors and how to rig ground stays.

if you get the aldi winch if you'd like you can drop over and we can do a tute for fitten itup.

NavyDiver
31st August 2011, 10:08 PM
My mom in VIC saw that the aldi winches are for sale again. Are these winches any good?

My mum was going to buy one for me for christmas and bring it upwith her when i see her.

It will be going onto a D1 with ARB winch bar.
Will it come with everything needed to ount it or do i have to make some brakets up for it. Also I assume it comes with all the solnoids to make it work.

Some advice will be great cheers

Sparks
I have had one on my D3 for a few years. A sparky mate suggested it to me. I was a bit nervous but it has worked with out a hitch. It has been underwater 30 odd times in river crossings. It may not be as refined as some much more expenisiver version but neither am I :D.

Mine was installed on a ARB bar. It will require the bar to be removed to service it. For the service cost I might just buy another and slowly rebuild the current one. A 4wd mag showed a Warn after five years which was very much over due for a service! Nothing winch is going to cop a hammering is going to last for ever ( unless it is for show and not used)

Engaging and disengaging the gear requires a bit of force and powering in and out to get it in or out of gear. On my bar this is a bit tricky due the very tight fit.

The guys who fitted it said they had to drill some additional wholes as the ones on my ARB bar are set for a Warn or similar bolt spacing. I think all the solenoids, remote and wireless remote are in the box. Not sure if any additional wiring or fuses that were installed came with the box or were added to my bill.

Another hunting forum had a one 2nd or 3rd hand negative comments. People who have spent a lot on theirs are unlikely to like the idea that they might be pretty good. A big tow out of mud a few weeks ago had the winch running for about 30 minutes with only a break to add or move the cable and extension straps. It has pulled me out and up very steep slopes several dozen times to date with no problems except as mentioned my big boofy hands getting into the very tight bar access to the winch.

NavyDiver
31st August 2011, 10:13 PM
Yes. The mounts on the ARB bar suit the winch with no need for a cradle.

I would check the spacing as my ARB D3 bar had to be drilled again to fit the aldi winch. The existing wholes where not the right space apart apparently.

wouldbeowner
31st August 2011, 10:44 PM
I have had one on one of my 4wd for about 4 or 5 years. Has been used on quite a few ocassions - never serviced (didnt know you had to) and has always worked perfectly. It has been underwater quite a few times (telegraph track). In fact it was used last sunday to get the Def and an attached KK out of mud up to their chassis. It is strong and works well. Have no idea whether current lot is from the same manufacturer but Aldi offer 2 year warranty and that's pretty good.
Just a response to "weakestlink's" comment about getting them in and out of gear - dont bother. Just leave them in gear and use the wireless remote to power cable out or in as required - no probs at all.
In fact the guy that owns the KK mentioned above had a very well setup LC that got pinched. He had top of the line Warne Winch. Well after observing mine for the last 4 years he reckons his next one will be a cheapie and not a top of the market one.

awabbit6
1st September 2011, 10:45 AM
I would check the spacing as my ARB D3 bar had to be drilled again to fit the aldi winch. The existing wholes where not the right space apart apparently.

You got me thinking so I had to check.
The winch does bolt up to the ARB bar on the D2 but I had forgotten that I had to drill two new mounting holes in the fairlead. The shape of the bar means that it has to be lifted up.

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2011/09/1267.jpg

Thanks for the prompt, I'd completely forgotten that!

numpty
1st September 2011, 11:50 AM
Simpson Desert via Hay River track, I know that I shouldn't have problems, but going solo we need to be prepared. I can always improvise an anchor with spare tyre or pickets or maybe a sand anchor.

thanks for the advice

woody

Cant give advice about the winch, but you wont/dont need one for the Hay River track. A nice pleasant easy drive for the most part.

patclan
1st September 2011, 12:30 PM
Just picked one up from Aldi, they had about 3 left at my local store at 11am, got the tyre repair kit also, hopefuly never need either but nice to have.

Hope it just bolts up easily to my TJM bar now..

Yorkie
1st September 2011, 03:26 PM
:cool: mine will be at home when i get back this afternoon, about 4 left at the arndell park store in sydney.

now who wants to show me how to regrease and fit to the d2?. :angel:

woody
1st September 2011, 03:45 PM
I got to our local store about 0815 hrs only to find a sea of pensioners and grey nomads, now worries I thought.:o

2 broken femurs, 1 shattered hip and couple of black eyes, but I got a winch :D just kidding but it got ugly when they started to run out of bras and knickers.

the winch has been stripped and repacked with quality grease, ready for the electrics to get done over the weekend.

thanks for all the advice

Fluids
1st September 2011, 04:12 PM
Yorkie ... search ... there's a tutorial on regreasing on here somewhere.

Blknight.aus
1st September 2011, 06:37 PM
I got the last one in Ipswich along with one of the air compressors and the torch.

Guess if no-ones found the greasing tute then anther will have to be done and a fit up set of instructions will have to be made.

O-D
1st September 2011, 06:47 PM
How about this one:

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/projects-tutorials/105107-aldi-winch-replacing-grease.html

I'm about to give it a go myself.

jerryd
1st September 2011, 08:15 PM
[QUOTE=Blknight.aus;1537032]I got the last one in Ipswich along with one of the air compressors and the torch.

Are those compressors any good Dave ??

Our local store had fourteen winches on the shop floor this afternoon

Fluids
1st September 2011, 10:02 PM
How about this one:

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/projects-tutorials/105107-aldi-winch-replacing-grease.html

I'm about to give it a go myself.

Thanks O-D !

That's the one .... now bookmarked :D

twodoors
1st September 2011, 10:22 PM
NOT HAPPY...... Went across the border this morning and missed out on a winch AGAIN!!!

LowRanger
1st September 2011, 10:22 PM
:cool: mine will be at home when i get back this afternoon, about 4 left at the arndell park store in sydney.

now who wants to show me how to regrease and fit to the d2?. :angel:

Liam
Unfortunately I am working for the next 9 days.If you still haven't read the tutorial and done it by then I might be able to give you a hand

Wayne

NavyDiver
1st September 2011, 11:00 PM
I got the last one in Ipswich along with one of the air compressors and the torch.

Guess if no-ones found the greasing tute then anther will have to be done and a fit up set of instructions will have to be made.

sold out near me before I got near the place. The aircompressor was diferent to the one I picked up when I grabbed my winch a few years ago. The one I got is a dead ringer for one sold for $$$$$ in some 4wd shops. The one in Aldi today was not the same. Hope yours works as well as mine has. It was well worht the money. Keep looking to find a spot to mount it but havent yet found THE spot!

Blknight.aus
1st September 2011, 11:26 PM
this compressor is also a knock off of another one.... ITs got a years warranty and since the compressor usually clags the rings before the motor gives out I have a nice 12v motor to do some other stuff with.

since I'm planning on endless air this compressor should only see occasional use pumping up balls, bike tyres small stuff where its just not worth cranking the diesel.

lux201
2nd September 2011, 01:27 AM
NOT HAPPY...... Went across the border this morning and missed out on a winch AGAIN!!!

the go fast, I got one today from Ballina, there were about 7 left at around 11am. when I arrived there looked like a few had already sold. if you know anyone around this area it might be worth getting them to pick you up one if there are any left. I installed one tonight and it appears to be reasonable quality.

-Jarrod.

isuzutoo-eh
2nd September 2011, 09:19 AM
Hmmm last year they didn't all sell out so quickly so I picked two up for $299 each a month or two after initial sales...
...But then onsold them to forum members for cost price :)
...and still didn't fix the winch I have. So I might get another if they are discounted later.

LowRanger
2nd September 2011, 09:41 AM
Hmmm last year they didn't all sell out so quickly so I picked two up for $299 each a month or two after initial sales...
...and still didn't fix the winch I have. So I might get another if they are discounted later.
Probably cheaper,and definately quicker than you fixing the winch you have:D

Wayne

isuzutoo-eh
2nd September 2011, 09:43 AM
Probably cheaper,and definately quicker than you fixing the winch you have:D

Wayne

Not to mention would bolt onto the winchbar without mods too...:cool:

Yorkie
2nd September 2011, 10:13 AM
Liam
Unfortunately I am working for the next 9 days.If you still haven't read the tutorial and done it by then I might be able to give you a hand

Wayne

cheers wayne, being the patient man i am i will just fit it this weekend and come 12months pull it apart. :) do you want to put a date in the diary for 2012....:D

for those that have fitted them any chance of a pic?, i am struggling to see how it bolts into the arb bar and a pic would get me started. :cool:

Homestar
2nd September 2011, 10:39 AM
There were 7 left at Sunbury this morning when I bought mine. But that was the easy part, as my ARB bar is the non winch version, so I'm about to go over to my mate steel fabrication shop to see what he can do about a winch cradle for me.

series3
2nd September 2011, 11:32 AM
There is more than 1/2 a dozen at East Maitland, no compressors though

Sam

Hoges
2nd September 2011, 12:24 PM
For Brisbane folk... Aldi Ashgrove had 18 winches left as at 11.45am today. $399 ea. They did have 19 but...:p:twisted: Also a stack of rechargeable 48 LED work lights for $18.99...
cheers

Tote
2nd September 2011, 12:39 PM
There were 4 at Yass at 1730 last night if someone in Canberra is chasing one it may be worth a phone call.

Regards,
Tote

33chinacars
2nd September 2011, 12:47 PM
Plenty in Portland Vic at 2.30 yesterday

haydent
2nd September 2011, 03:50 PM
plenty in Toronto Aldi Nsw this arvo.

haydent
2nd September 2011, 03:51 PM
this is what i was thinking as i dont even have a bar yet but figure if there is still one in the local shop when they get marked down ill consider.

isuzutoo-eh
2nd September 2011, 03:56 PM
this is what i was thinking as i dont even have a bar yet but figure if there is still one in the local shop when they get marked down ill consider.

Dural Aldi was where I got my two, you just need to know which branch has the area manager on staff as thats the branch that gets the leftovers from other stores ;)
'Cept the area manager that was at Dural moved to another store where my mate happened to be working...

haydent
2nd September 2011, 04:12 PM
lolz, dural is where im living now :)

Sleepy
2nd September 2011, 04:58 PM
Well if you miss out on an Aldi. I found this 12,000lb one for $100 more.

Online Electric Winch - 12000lb (5440kg) Discounts | Electric Winch - 12000lb (5440kg) | Online @ Deals Direct.com.au (http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/p/electric-winch-12000lb-5440kg/)

Cant vouch for it, just passing on what I found.

haydent
2nd September 2011, 05:03 PM
im not too worried, aldi dont necessarily have that amazingly cheap prices, but having a shop front is an advantage.

O-D
2nd September 2011, 05:11 PM
I was reading this article on winches and noticed it says you have to mark the location of the housing to ensure the correct alignment on reassembly:

http://www.macquarie4x4.com.au/cmsimages/File/4wd_091-097_WinchMaintTech.pdf

I take it the housing on the ALDI winch can be rotated and put back in a different position, depending on which way up you mount the winch and where you want the clutch lever to sit?

Blknight.aus
2nd September 2011, 05:24 PM
correct

O-D
2nd September 2011, 05:30 PM
I had to rotate the end housing so that the clutch lever was at the top and accessible but that can be done when re-greasing.
I think this answers my question. Can you rotate it to 4 different positions?

O-D
2nd September 2011, 05:33 PM
Thanks Dave, I didn't see your reply before my last post.

Hoges
2nd September 2011, 06:30 PM
FWIW: Having had a closer look at the Aldi one I got today: It has a 2 yr warranty; remote operates either via cable or wireless; instruction book claims the winch is packed with a high grade lithium based grease but gives instructions re. regreasing if it is submerged....

cheers

Blknight.aus
2nd September 2011, 06:53 PM
I'll be opening mine up, probably next weekend, we'll see about the definition of the words high grade.

O-D
2nd September 2011, 06:54 PM
FWIW: Having had a closer look at the Aldi one I got today: It has a 2 yr warranty; remote operates either via cable or wireless; instruction book claims the winch is packed with a high grade lithium based grease but gives instructions re. regreasing if it is submerged....

cheers
I re-greased mine today with Moly grease and put a fair bit more grease in than I took out. I thought the grease already in it looked to be a decent grade...

kenleyfred
4th September 2011, 01:28 PM
If anyone is looking for an ALDI with stock, just been to ALDI Albany Creek and they had 5 in stock @ $399.

Yorkie
4th September 2011, 08:50 PM
well mine is now sitting in the bar. :)
couple of issues, needed some longer bolts for holding the fairlead in and mounting the winch through said fairlead.
drilled two new holes in the bar to mount the fairlead through the centre mounts.
rotated te winch so the clutch sits in the right position to access from the top.
made up a bracket to hold the control box, this will get furthe attention down the track as not looking too waterproof.
otherwise happy now it is in and may get to use it next weekend, wifey wants to learn how to walk out the cable. :D

Homestar
4th September 2011, 09:48 PM
...wifey wants to learn how to walk out the cable. :D

I bet. Mine doesn't even know I've bought one yet. It will magically appear one day, and when she asks, I'll tell her it's been there for ages...:p

Blknight.aus
4th September 2011, 10:43 PM
dont forget to unwind the cable into some dust and shovel some onto the fairlead before you try telling her, It adds to the authenticity of your claim.

Homestar
5th September 2011, 08:19 AM
Good idea - I'll do that.:D

twodoors
5th September 2011, 09:31 PM
Plenty in Portland Vic at 2.30 yesterday

Cheers mate, Sorry been out of the loop as I had to go up north. Will be back near there or within 200kms.... at the weekend and will give it a look then! Did u buy one?... Just wondering if you had a receipt and thus a phone number for the store so I can phone and see if they have one... or maybe another store close by...
James

George130
5th September 2011, 10:00 PM

So that's why I did it :D.

Blknight.aus
5th September 2011, 10:28 PM
Ive seen your sals halfshafts...

I am NOT surprised.

slug_burner
5th September 2011, 11:34 PM
Cheers mate, Sorry been out of the loop as I had to go up north. Will be back near there or within 200kms.... at the weekend and will give it a look then! Did u buy one?... Just wondering if you had a receipt and thus a phone number for the store so I can phone and see if they have one... or maybe another store close by...
James

ALDI Portland
29 Henty Street
Portland VIC 3305
Phone: +(03) 8369 3000

twodoors
9th September 2011, 06:35 AM
ALDI Portland
29 Henty Street
Portland VIC 3305
Phone: +(03) 8369 3000

Cheers for that.... However that is the generic number which gets you nowhere!
If anyone is passing a Western Vic store over the next couple of days and sees floor stock cud u let me know! Cheers James 0412 580765

33chinacars
9th September 2011, 11:37 AM
Will be in Portland this afternoon will look for you James

Gary

PS Sorry I didnt get back to you sooner. Laid up in hospital

Tote
9th September 2011, 02:00 PM
4 left at Yass Yesterday afternoon.

Regards,
Tote

haydent
9th September 2011, 02:53 PM
8 just in at windsor today

Homestar
9th September 2011, 05:20 PM
They have more in at Sunbury - there were 8 there last week, but there were 10 there today.

33chinacars
9th September 2011, 08:11 PM
Hi James PM sent

Gary

GoldCloverLeaf
9th September 2011, 08:34 PM
Bought mine last week and installed it last Saturday morning, easy to install with a Defender ARB winch bar.

If you plan on installing the fairlead that comes with the unit, you will need a couple longer bolts as a couple of the bolts go through the fairlead base and tie into the winch mounting base, the ones supplied are too short. You will also need to drill extra holes for the fairlead but all straight forward stuff.

Initial impressions are good, it appears to be better quality than one would expect for the price, however i have yet to use it in anger so will report back when i do :)

sheerluck
10th September 2011, 02:20 PM
Was 7, but now 6 left at Aldi Browns plains.

Just got to find me a winch bar for the D1 now. Doubt Aldi will have one of them :D

twodoors
11th September 2011, 02:25 PM
I am SOOO pleased to hear a fellow landy owner went out of their way for another.... I have one waiting for me!.... Just got to get back down south to h/a then a trip across the border.THANK U GARY. So chuffed! Ps for those who are looking at drilling their bars call motozone and ask for a series 1 fairlead.... No need to drill...

jazzaD1
11th September 2011, 02:55 PM
I am SOOO pleased to hear a fellow landy owner went out of their way for another.... I have one waiting for me!.... Just got to get back down south to h/a then a trip across the border.THANK U GARY. So chuffed! Ps for those who are looking at drilling their bars call motozone and ask for a series 1 fairlead.... No need to drill...

or just drill the fairlead 30mm or so lower like i did instead of drilling the bar

33chinacars
11th September 2011, 08:45 PM
No probs James.Winch sitting here for when you get a chance to hop the border

Gary

lux201
12th September 2011, 01:48 PM
Fyi. There are still aldi winches in ballina. About 5 left.

-Jarrod.

sheerluck
2nd January 2012, 11:59 AM
Just as an update to this - I fitted my Aldi winch to a TJM winch bar several weeks ago, and over the last week has had it's first use in anger. Not for what you might think as normal use, but it has been used at least.

First impression - it has hell of a lot of pull in it. It was being used to pull dead trees and logs around (my D1 gets used almost as a tractor on our property), as well as pulling some huge lantana bushes out at the roots.

At no point did it look like it was struggling........at one point there was one dead tree it was pulling that snagged on an old stump, when it quite happily dragged the D1 (in Park with handbrake on) towards it instead.

That's not to say that the winch is perfect -there was some damage. The fairlead has a cast steel surrounding on it, and mine snapped. So if you get one of these in the box, you may be better swapping it out for one of the plate steel variety instead.

Blknight.aus
2nd January 2012, 03:28 PM
the aldi winches are now intermittant for being able to rotate the clutch housing, the end cap can be rotated some now do not have the 4 dowel positions for mounting the gearbox casing to the winch frame so without modification you may not be able to rotate the housing.

However. Drilling the casing to accept the dowels is not a complicated nor super accurate (but its better if you are) matter.

Tote
2nd January 2012, 11:17 PM
Finally finished fitting my winch on my truck this aftternoon. It fiited to the Disco 3 ARB bar with the following (minor) mods.
Longer bolts for the fairlead
Drill two holes for the middle bolts on the fairlead to mount to the bar
Rotate the gearbox to allow the clutch lever to operate.
Cut the round knob off the clutch lever to allow it to operate ( I added about 1" of rubber fuel line on the end of the lever just to give a little more leverage but you could get fancier or notch the inside of the bullbar to allow the lever to move freely.)
Make up two brackets to mount the control box on the top of the bar.

I did NOT have to remove the bar, I just used a trolley jack to lift the winch up into position after removing the bottom plate.

I added one of these (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Battery-Isolator-Master-Switch-Cable-Enclosure-/270877674493?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f11914bfd) switches under the bonnet to disable the winch when not in use, terminated the winch lead to the switch and used an 18" battery lead from the battery to the switch. I had to reterminate the battery lead as the connectors would not go through the switch housing.

All seems to work well. I noticed that the winch is generously lubricated with black graphite stlye grease so I did not regrease it.

I'll report back once it's been used in anger.

Regards,
Tote

pawl
4th January 2012, 11:50 PM
Sorry to change subject, but are the RUNVA brand of winch any good? These are the cheapest I've seen the 12000lbs go for $450, or any 12000lb go for. Could be OK for when the warn bites the dust.
Pinnacle Wholesalers - 12000 Lbs Winch With Remote Control - 4WD WINCHES (http://tinyurl.com/76vuorr)

PhilipA
5th January 2012, 08:54 AM
61 KG!!!!!!!

Regards Philip A

Didge
11th January 2012, 11:35 AM
Runva are touted as being very good so for $450 I'd snap it up if I didn't already have a superceheap/ aldi one mounted. BTW, the supercheap winch successfully dragged my def along on its diffs without any fuss, although the remote was a bit dodgy to strhart with; turned out to be the rocker switch contacts so all is good now :)

Scouse
31st January 2012, 03:25 PM
Just a heads up that Aldi in Rosehill have 5-6 winches for sale at $349.

FURY
21st February 2012, 07:42 PM
I have a ARB bull bar fitted to my D2 its not a winch bar as it does not have the cut outs can i mod the bar to suit the winch or should i start looking for a new bar?

Thanks in advance

NavyDiver
22nd February 2012, 09:30 AM
I would ring ARB. They are very helpful and one they could answer quickly.

87County
22nd February 2012, 09:51 AM
I have a ARB bull bar fitted to my D2 its not a winch bar as it does not have the cut outs can i mod the bar to suit the winch or should i start looking for a new bar?

Thanks in advance

The short answer is yes - but ARB will probably want to sell you a winch bar instead - and that would be the easiest option (although a little pricey)

However, if you are reasonably handy cutting and fabricating metal you can certainly modify a non-winch bullbar to mount a winch. For example they have been mounted to a section of 10mm ht aluminium plate which is then bolted by way of angle to the bullbar chassis mounts. By doing this you can have the winch in what I consider to be a better location (up higher) than using the standard ARB winch bull bar & cradle option.

Psimpson7
22nd February 2012, 10:39 AM
I did one fairly recently for someone.

link to pics here (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v707/Psimpson7/custom%20fabrication/d2%20bar%20conversion/)

password is aulro1

couple of sample pics:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v707/Psimpson7/custom%20fabrication/d2%20bar%20conversion/fdc68a3e.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v707/Psimpson7/custom%20fabrication/d2%20bar%20conversion/e8faa390.jpg

FURY
22nd February 2012, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the help guys
Psimpson7
Can you buy the plate required or did you fab them yourself?

Psimpson7
22nd February 2012, 09:16 PM
I modeled them myself and had them cut and folded. Then welded it together.

Loubrey
1st March 2012, 02:43 PM
That's some seriously tidy manufacturing! :BigThumb::BigThumb:

Tote
13th March 2012, 10:57 PM
There were half a dozen Aldi Winches sitting on a pallet at the Yass store yesterday in case anyone in the area is interested and has $385.00

Regards,
Tote

Barefoot Dave
16th August 2014, 02:14 PM
G'Day all. Can anyone tell me if the more recent Aldi winches have better grease then the previous ones?

I've just bought one and would rather not disassemble it just to find out.
Thanks in advance.

weeds
16th August 2014, 02:29 PM
G'Day all. Can anyone tell me if the more recent Aldi winches have better grease then the previous ones?

I've just bought one and would rather not disassemble it just to find out.
Thanks in advance.

I would be pulling it apart just so I knew.

Barefoot Dave
16th August 2014, 03:10 PM
I'd expect no less from an ex- Easy Money Earner ;)

lux201
17th August 2014, 04:29 PM
I did own an Aldi winch and it seemed ok for the cost ...problem was though --I never really trusted it ..I mean it seemed to work when I needed it, fair enough but I was always just aware that it was an Aldi winch.
Anyway, I went out and bought a 10,000 Warn Magnum with Dyneema rope 2nd hand on Gumtree for $350 and cleaned + re-greased the gears with marine grease.
Now I feel like I have a winch on my vehicle ! ;)

Honestly for that price I think you can do a lot better ;)

offroaddisco
2nd September 2014, 09:53 AM
I bought an Aldi winch a couple of years ago but it recently burnt out.
I haven't had it serviced so the solenoids blew on it!
They come with everything to mount it to a bar. i mounted mine to an ARB bar and it fitted fine! you can mount it yourself if your'e willing to hold it up while you bolt it on! connect to the battery and it will be ready to go!! Reliable and Cheap if you maintain it!!

GoldCloverLeaf
2nd September 2014, 06:56 PM
Mine is still going after more than 3 years, i have done zero maintenance on it so far (will get around to it) and it has been completely under water several times now :p

I think the trick with any winch is to run the cable out every month or so to keep everything working properly.

Still, i'll get an 8274 one day, it's on my bucket list ;)

offroaddisco
9th September 2014, 01:46 PM
it was no trouble at all!!

Gumnut
14th December 2015, 12:40 AM
Hi, I just used my 5yr old one to pull over some annoying tree stumps. Triple purchase, a bit of smoke when I stalled it a few times (more undetected buttress roots) a snapped snig chain:o, and sizzling solenoid box, but cannot fault the winch..... I did relube, and I had to rotate the gearbox end to maintain access to the clutch lever. And I got the trees out!!! Gumnut

Tank
17th December 2015, 08:04 PM
Hi, I just used my 5yr old one to pull over some annoying tree stumps. Triple purchase, a bit of smoke when I stalled it a few times (more undetected buttress roots) a snapped snig chain:o, and sizzling solenoid box, but cannot fault the winch..... I did relube, and I had to rotate the gearbox end to maintain access to the clutch lever. And I got the trees out!!! Gumnut
Where did you get the double pulley snatch block from, been trying to get one at a decent price for a while now, Regards Frank.

Gumnut
24th December 2015, 12:11 PM
Sadly, separate blocks...... I wish there were doubles (even triples!!) available - never seen them other than hideously expensive ones with small diameter blocks. Gumnut