PDA

View Full Version : Bits and Pieces not working - how much to fix?

Homestar
27th August 2011, 12:03 PM
Hi, I am back in the hunt for an L322, after a delay due to work (too busy) and banks (being ass holes). So, now I have everything in place, I am out there again looking and test driving. It shows how slowly these are selling, as there are still some out there that were advertised when I was looking 3 months ago - they have bought their prices down a bit, but there are some that are still dreanin'...

Anyway, I looked at one this morning that may be a contender. A 2004 HSE with all the trimmings. It has 189KKM on the clock, full LR sevice history, and a rebuilt tranny just 12 months ago (that has a 5 year warranty) on it. Engine has new injectors, and runs like a clock. EAS works realy well - very quick from a cold startup. All good there, but there are a few things that need attention, and I was wondering if anybody could enlighten me to what these would cost to fix (for some bargaining power).

1 - Steering column adjuster. The up and down works, but the in and out doesn't - you can hear the motor running, but there is no movement. Is there a small part in there somewhere that can be fixed, or is it more complicated (read expensive)?

2 - No Sat Nav CD. I've heard these can be quite expensive - how much are these, or is there a cheaper way to get one (can you copy them?)

3 - The rear cargo cover is missing - broken and thrown out. How much does a new on or good second hand one run to?

4 - Service cost. It is due for a service in less than 1000Km. If I buy it, I will be asking them to get it serviced, but in case they don't want to, what sort of $$$ should I be looking to take off the deal?

5 - TV picture is fuzzy. Where is the antenna for this, and is it able to be replaced with something better? The current owner has never bothered to get it fixed, as they didn't really care about it, but I figure I may be able to screw a few more $$$ off the price because of this.

Any info on these problems would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking at another one tommorrow I hope (if the owner is back from Interstate), so I'll probably have a new list for that one as well.:)

Cheers - Gav

Laurie
27th August 2011, 02:58 PM
Gav
The steering wheel adjuster was a known problem on some 2003 year models. There was a proper fix from landrover which replaces the motors with more heavy duty versions as fitted to the later models, don't know if it was a recall though !

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic4144.html?highlight=steering+wheel

Triumph Rover Spares have a L322 HSE for wrecking. I think it has a light interior.

The Nav CD can be had for around $ 100 at

Navigation Systems Australia Including BMW Models (http://www.navigationau.com)

The whole unit can be replaced with genuine or Chinese aftermarket; there are threads here and video's on YouTube. eg

How to upgrade stereo / sat-nav Range Rover L322 / Vogue - YouTube

The TV picture could just be a bad connection ? The unit is in the boot RHS I think ?

RangieBit
28th August 2011, 08:45 AM
Hey Gav,

Glad to see you back in the hunt again.

The steering column is a tricky one. If it had been the up/down motor that died then that's about a 20 minute fix with a new motor (saw one at All 4X4 recently, for about $350) and you're done. The in/out motor however is buried at the bottom of the steering column and costs about the same for the part. The difference is about four hours of labour to pull apart significant parts of the dash to remove the upper steering column and replace it. The indy's and dealers usually just replace the entire column assembly including the SAS given the effort involved to get to it. Land Rover did this as a matter of course originally when people experienced trouble with the motors. It wasn't a recall just on a needs basis under warranty.
Typical quote for this work is around $1700 including the new column.

As Laurie said the SatNav disk can be had from other sources for a reasonable sum.

The rear cargo cover is a real killer. Good luck finding one. If you can find one they usually go for about $600-700 second hand. To buy new part from Land Rover you're up for about $1400. I had to buy one new as someone beat me to a part from a wreck two days before I needed one - D'Oh! They do very, very occasionally appear on eBay. Though even then you takes your chance on a colour match.

As for regular service. A typical Oil/Minor interval service will run to about $600 (plus any stuff outside of the usual check items). A major service, well, pick a number really. I've not had one done for less than $1000 as there is nearly always something subject to almost imminent failure. These are my experiences and others may have different prices depending on dealer/distance/and all the usual factors.

As for the TV reception I'd be looking for a loose connection somewhere. All the TV/Radio/Nav stuff is in the rear passenger quarter panel. The differential antennas are mounted on each rear quarter glass IIRC, so you could check their fly leads also.

Good luck with the hunt and haggle.

Cheers,
Iain

33chinacars
28th August 2011, 01:40 PM
Hi Gav are you looking for a TD6 / TDV8 diesel or 4.4/ 4.2 SC

Gary

Homestar
28th August 2011, 07:53 PM
Hi Gav are you looking for a TD6 / TDV8 diesel or 4.4/ 4.2 SC

Gary

Hi Gary, looknig for a TD6. :)

Cheers - Gav

PAT303
28th August 2011, 07:53 PM
If the service is for the full filter/oil one just buy a service kit out of the UK for less than 100 dollars and then get the mechanic to do the job,should cost 250 all up. Pat

Homestar
28th August 2011, 08:00 PM
If the service is for the full filter/oil one just buy a service kit out of the UK for less than 100 dollars and then get the mechanic to do the job,should cost 250 all up. Pat

That's a good idea, but I will still be asking for at least $600 off the price just for this.:p

I have been told I'm a bit of a ***** when haggling...:angel:

Hoges
28th August 2011, 08:01 PM
a TD2.7 conversion in my P38 is looking like a better alternative. For the life of me, when a friction clamp can suffice to alter steering column elevation/reach why the need for electric motors.... what gets into these people (LR engineers)... good luck finding the bits at a reasonable price:eek: must admit to being tempted on occasion, but retirement incomes don't seem to match ambition:(;)

33chinacars
28th August 2011, 11:47 PM
Hi Gav

Have you looked at TD6 down at Barwon Heads. Sounds as you may have. I did looked O'k to me but Ricky wasn't to keen to sell but his son was no his behalf ??? so didn't push it. When I looked was $44000. I see it have come down a lot $36750.
Think it would be a good buy.

2003 LAND ROVER RANGE ROVER HSE L322 03MY Cars For Sale in VIC - CarPoint Australia (http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?Cr=1&R=10950929&keywords=&trecs=9&__sid=12E5F424A18E&__Ns=pCar_RankSort_Int32|1||pCar_Price_Decimal|1|| pCar_Make_String|0||pCar_Model_String|0&__Qpb=1&__Nne=15&SearchAction=N&seot=1&__N=834) 1216 1246 1247 1252 1282 4294965478 4294965541 903 937&silo=1011

As said by Pat get service kit from U.K.

Gary

PAT303
29th August 2011, 09:33 AM
a TD2.7 conversion in my P38 is looking like a better alternative. For the life of me, when a friction clamp can suffice to alter steering column elevation/reach why the need for electric motors.... what gets into these people (LR engineers)... good luck finding the bits at a reasonable price:eek: must admit to being tempted on occasion, but retirement incomes don't seem to match ambition:(;)

I'd have a Td6 L322 anyday of the year over a P38,mine looks like it's going to NSW unfortunatly as I've now got the Puma.I've never regretted buying my Td6 and will miss it when it goes:(. Pat

Homestar
29th August 2011, 05:46 PM
Hi Gav

Have you looked at TD6 down at Barwon Heads. Sounds as you may have. I did looked O'k to me but Ricky wasn't to keen to sell but his son was no his behalf ??? so didn't push it. When I looked was $44000. I see it have come down a lot $36750.
Think it would be a good buy.

2003 LAND ROVER RANGE ROVER HSE L322 03MY Cars For Sale in VIC - CarPoint Australia (http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?Cr=1&R=10950929&keywords=&trecs=9&__sid=12E5F424A18E&__Ns=pCar_RankSort_Int32|1||pCar_Price_Decimal|1|| pCar_Make_String|0||pCar_Model_String|0&__Qpb=1&__Nne=15&SearchAction=N&seot=1&__N=834) 1216 1246 1247 1252 1282 4294965478 4294965541 903 937&silo=1011

As said by Pat get service kit from U.K.

Gary

That's one of 2 I have my eye on - Yes, his son has it up here in Melbourne to sell it. It is the one I have asked the questions about. I am checking out another one on Saturday, and will make my mind up and start haggling from there. This one drove very well, and I would be happy to end up with it, but we will see...

Cheers - Gav.

Laurie
29th August 2011, 06:56 PM
In regard to Td6 service items, Karcraft in Sydney were more than competitive with UK prices.

33chinacars
29th August 2011, 11:49 PM
Hi Gav

All the best with your descision. Only reason I didn't buy it was Ric wasn't all that keen on selling so didn't push him. More dad its time to sell the car:angel:. I ended up paying a lot more for the one I bought, probably way to much. Not that I'm complaining at all .

Gary

Homestar
8th September 2011, 08:38 PM
Well, I don't want to jinx myself, as the search has been long and hard, but it looks like I have found 'the one'.

A bit more than I wanted to pay, but it is top spec, and in absolutly stunning condition inside and out. The interior is as new, thanks to a $20K insurance claim for the current owner after someone threw a brick through the window last year. Both front seats have new leather, and pretty much the whole dash was replaced.

Mechanically everything checks out. Trannie rebuild 15KKM ago, new fuel pump and compessor. Full LR service history. All electrics work. I'll post some pics when it all happens - may be a couple of weeks as he will be interstate next week, and he has pay the reg, and get the RWC.

Fingers crossed!!!:)

This is worse than waiting for Christmas day when you were a kid...:D

33chinacars
8th September 2011, 08:51 PM
Congrats Well done Gav you wont be sorry

Gary