PDA

View Full Version : Handbrake - gearbox movement

Wallydog
16th September 2011, 02:29 PM
Gday All. Ive noticed a while ago that when I engage the handbrake the gearbox moves forward about 1" +. Is that normal or are the gearbox mounts fatigued and need replacing? Any advice appreciated. w.

JDNSW
16th September 2011, 02:41 PM
It'll move a bit, but I don't think it should be that much (mind you, mine has a gearbox tie rod, so maybe I'm spoiled!). Need to check whether there are loose mounts or possibly broken or gone soft. But if nothing is loose or broken, I would not worry about it until you get other symptoms of a soft mount.

John

Lotz-A-Landies
16th September 2011, 03:03 PM
As John says there is a tie rod (on the LHS) which has rubber inserts which may be missing or loose. I would also check your right hand gearbox mount.

Wallydog
16th September 2011, 03:45 PM
Thanks John n Diana, I don't have a tie rod attached to the gearbox but I remember seeing those in a picture somewhere. Are they supposed to have a gearbox tie rod there on the series 3?

The vehicle drives well but i do notice a little movement of the gearbox in between changing gears. I did torque the gearbox mainshaft nut to spec. W

JDNSW
16th September 2011, 07:39 PM
As John says there is a tie rod (on the LHS) which has rubber inserts which may be missing or loose. I would also check your right hand gearbox mount.

Tie rod was optional equipment, but is fitted to a lot of them. Its absence then does not mean something is missing.

John

Lotz-A-Landies
16th September 2011, 08:08 PM
Tie rod was optional equipment, but is fitted to a lot of them. Its absence then does not mean something is missing.

JohnNot so much an optional fitting but more of a standard fitting on 6 cylinder models (and dual on 6 cyl forward control). But I must acknowledge that never having a 4 cyl SIIa or SIII, (before Emmett) I assumed it was a fitting on all models after it was introduced in SIIa.

Wallydog
16th September 2011, 10:14 PM
Thanks again, Ill keep an eye on it. W;)

JDNSW
17th September 2011, 05:30 AM
Not so much an optional fitting but more of a standard fitting on 6 cylinder models (and dual on 6 cyl forward control). But I must acknowledge that never having a 4 cyl SIIa or SIII, (before Emmett) I assumed it was a fitting on all models after it was introduced in SIIa.

Never having owned a six cylinder Landrover ....... But there was not one on either my Series 2 or my first 2a, but there is one on my current 2a. It is part of the kit for the eight bladed fan - I suspect this is because that is closer to the radiator than the standard fan. This may be why the six has it, or perhaps it is because the six is heavier.

John

Wallydog
17th September 2011, 10:38 AM
Had a closer look and when the handbrake is put on the gearbox and engine move substantially forward. I will have to put a set of mounts on.

ashhhhh
17th September 2011, 02:56 PM
I've got to do my rear mounts soon too, be good to hear of any troubles or tricky bits you hit. :)

Wallydog
18th September 2011, 11:28 AM
I've got to do my rear mounts soon too, be good to hear of any troubles or tricky bits you hit. :)

Ive got some advice it might be the way the handbrake is setup and the pivot bush might be worn or not there? ill have a look at it.