PDA

View Full Version : Beer + Ginger???

isuzurover
27th September 2011, 11:50 AM
Anyone tried brewing beer with ginger (as opposed to ginger beer). I have done chilli beer in the past, and I know some have added lemon/lime.

I am thinking a pale ale or lager with a bit of ginger thrown in might work out well... What do others think? Better yet - has anyone tried it?

I am not a fan of alcoholic ginger beers - they all seem to sweet or too weak and watery - hence I have come up with this idea.

On a similar note, we brewed an alcoholic lemonade with some of our lemon crop recently. Over 25 lemons in 25L. The brew shop recommended 500g Lactose for a medium-dry sweetness, however it doesn't taste sweet at all.

We are not too fussed with the result so far - tastes a bit too "zesty" - however are leaving it to mature. The recipies we found used the skin, so we did, however we possibly should have peeled half the lemons instead.

Oh well, if we don't like it, we can always borrow a still from someone and turn it into cointreau :D

Redback
27th September 2011, 05:02 PM
How about this Ben, subtitute the cherry's for Ginger.

1 can Coopers Pilsner
600g Dextrose
400g Dry Corn Syrup
300g Dry Light Malt Extract
150g Fresh Cheries
1 Pkt Coopers Brewmaster Series Ale Yeast

METHOD:
Remove the seeds from the cherries. Put the Pilsner concentrate, dry malt and cherries into a pot with 3 litres of water and boil for 10 mins.
Then pour everything into the fermenter and add the Dextrose and Dry Corn Syrup.
Top up to 23 litre mark, add the yeast when wort has cooled.
After 3 days of fermenting, rack the wort to a second fermenter leaving behind the cherries and allow to stand a further 7 days before bottling.

Tasting Notes:
It is slightly tart up front with more cherry aroma than flavour. The Pilsner base gives the beer a nice clean finish and the ale yeast enhances the fruity aroma of the cherries

Redback
27th September 2011, 05:41 PM
I found this, I know you like Belgium Beers

Candy Ale *new
1 can Coopers Real Ale
750g Belgian Candy Sugar
1 Pkt Coopers Yeast (from the kit)

MAKING YOUR OWN BELGIAN CANDY SU (http://webspace.webring.com/people/ms/sirleslie/HomeBrewingTips/BelgianCandySugar.html)

Baz.

isuzurover
27th September 2011, 06:06 PM
I found this, I know you like Belgium Beers

Candy Ale *new
1 can Coopers Real Ale
750g Belgian Candy Sugar
1 Pkt Coopers Yeast (from the kit)

MAKING YOUR OWN BELGIAN CANDY SU (http://webspace.webring.com/people/ms/sirleslie/HomeBrewingTips/BelgianCandySugar.html)

Baz.

Thanks Baz!!! I do indeed love a good Belgian!!! :angel: :wasntme:

Thanks - that looks simpler than the recipies I usually try - so it may work out! Need to make some more candi sugar...

Thanks for the other recipe as well - pils is a good idea for a base.

LOVEMYRANGIE
27th September 2011, 06:51 PM
Theres a few candy manufacturers around Perth. May even be worth seeing if you can buy a slab of it.
I love my Belgians too particularly Hoegaarden. Might even try it in one of these!

Using Capitals, the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse or helping your uncle jack off a horse...

It'sNotWorthComplaining!
5th October 2011, 06:09 PM
Oh well, if we don't like it, we can always borrow a still from someone and turn it into cointreau :D
Isn't cointreau made from Oranges.?

isuzurover
5th October 2011, 09:00 PM
Isn't cointreau made from Oranges.?

OK - limoncello then :p

wagoo
26th October 2011, 07:36 PM
Anyone tried brewing beer with ginger (as opposed to ginger beer). I have done chilli beer in the past, and I know some have added lemon/lime.

I am thinking a pale ale or lager with a bit of ginger thrown in might work out well... What do others think? Better yet - has anyone tried it?

I am not a fan of alcoholic ginger beers - they all seem to sweet or too weak and watery - hence I have come up with this idea.

On a similar note, we brewed an alcoholic lemonade with some of our lemon crop recently. Over 25 lemons in 25L. The brew shop recommended 500g Lactose for a medium-dry sweetness, however it doesn't taste sweet at all.

We are not too fussed with the result so far - tastes a bit too "zesty" - however are leaving it to mature. The recipies we found used the skin, so we did, however we possibly should have peeled half the lemons instead.

Ben,can you recommend a good brand of non alcoholic ginger beer?
Had a few on a Cathay Pacific flight about 35 years ago and was hooked.
Unfortunately don't know what brand it was, and although ginger beer has been my staple brew ever since, i have yet to find a brand that matches that lovely burning the throat experience of the brand back then.
Bill.

isuzurover
26th October 2011, 10:05 PM
Ben,can you recommend a good brand of non alcoholic ginger beer?
Had a few on a Cathay Pacific flight about 35 years ago and was hooked.
Unfortunately don't know what brand it was, and although ginger beer has been my staple brew ever since, i have yet to find a brand that matches that lovely burning the throat experience of the brand back then.
Bill.

Hi Bill,

The best I have tried in AU is cascade (made by the cascade brewery in tassie). However, it isn't amazingly spicy.

Home brew (non alcoholic) ginger beer is fairly easy to make - and you can adjust the recipe how you want.

wagoo
28th October 2011, 08:21 PM
Hi Bill,

The best I have tried in AU is cascade (made by the cascade brewery in tassie). However, it isn't amazingly spicy.

Home brew (non alcoholic) ginger beer is fairly easy to make - and you can adjust the recipe how you want.

Thanks Ben. Yes I agree Cascade would be my pick of the domestic brews i've tried.Might be my palat after knocking back the odd ML of EP90 while wriggling around underneath my Landy:), but somedays Cascade and Bundy just taste like lolly water.
Bill.

9th November 2011, 09:32 PM
Just add a dash of stones!:D
Cheers Dean.

MLD
18th November 2011, 06:55 PM
Late to the call for help.

Isuzurover - My moto is to always give it a nudge. what's the worst that can happen, you get a less than desirable beer and it becomes a xmas present to your family. Personally I don't think it will work.

I'd like to add to Redback's recipe for cherry. I did a cherry stout. Similar recipe but with stout, choc roasted bailey and about 1 kg of cherries. Boiled like redback suggests and racked after a week. The result is rather overpowering when immature but after 6 months in the bottle it matures to a cherryripe. Smooth cherry flavours with chocolate undertones.

enjoy experimenting

cheers Mark