PDA

View Full Version : Silence Of The Landy

wagoo
28th September 2011, 07:33 PM
I'm getting old and my tolerance for series Landy NVH is not what it used to be.
Would anyone care to pass on their tips on reducing NVH-Noise, Vibration , Harshness?
With a body that is hard bolted to the chassis, small suspension bushings, and metal to metal contact between interior controls and the running gear such as accellerator linkage, transmission and handbrake levers, steering gear etc, it would be extremely difficult to acheive the NVH standards of cars or even other 4wds, but how civilised have you managed to make your series vehicle?
Wagoo.

rick130
28th September 2011, 07:54 PM
Hmm, sounds like time for a Disco II Bill ? :angel:

That's what Mum and her hubby did after having a 110 and 130 and having Central Australia as their playground.

In all seriousness you'll be hard pressed doing much.

Noise can be helped a fair bit by using some serious underlays as used in heavy machinery.

Wright off road in the UK make a nice looking acoustic mat, but it's too exxy for me when I've enquired, although they've sent several to Oz.

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2011/09/109.jpg

The Acoustic Mat System
Made from cast dense Polyurethane, this custom fit mat drastically reduces noise entering the operator cabin and panel reverberation.
Using technology from the industrial off highway vehicle market the Acoustic Mat System is manufactured to the same rigorous OEM standards.
This type of mat is normally found in construction industry equipment, diggers and excavators etc. or agricultural tractors. It is the industrial standard for reducing noise levels inside the operator cabin. It also provides a hard wearing durable surface that withstands the riggers of constant daily use. There is no other engineering solution

Products (http://www.wrightoffroad.com/products.htm)

wrinklearthur
28th September 2011, 07:59 PM
Hi Wagoo

Just concentrate on one squeak at a time, when they have all been dealt with, then start on the rattles and so on, right up to the Airbag---- the passenger that doesn't shut up!

The quietest series one that I once owned, had carpet stuck everywhere and a soft top.
The loudest noise was the Road Trak Majors on the bitumen.

Cheers Arthur

isuzurover
28th September 2011, 08:13 PM
Bundalene has some good threads on noise and heat insulation in a puma.

Offender90 on here is an acoustics engineer.

Vibration/harshness - not much you can do in a vehicle that has the body rigidly bolted to the chassis - apart from a suspension seat.

JDNSW
28th September 2011, 08:22 PM
My experience with the 2a, on my recent trip Dubbo - Sydney - Canberra -Yass- Dubbo.

What I have done, which seems to have helped.

1. Door seals - make sure they do, and rectify as necessary.
2. All removable panels, such as floor panels and under seat panels, edge with 3mm x 20mm self adhesive neoprene foam. This seals out sound and stops rattles.
3. Cab deluxe trim - roof lining, door trim, floor mats.
4. Floor panels, seat box panels etc have a patch of closed cell foam 10mm thick attached to reduce drumming.
5. Parcel tray, tray behind seats, under seat toolbox etc all have rubber matting to stop rattles.
6. Check seal of gearlever boot and transfer and handbrake boots.
7. Seat between the bonnet sides and top of mudguards (very effective).
8. Regular check of tappet clearance
9. Oil springs
10. Check for holes round the seatbox and floor and seal. New pedal box seals.

What needs to be done:-
1. replace anti-rattle spring in the transfer lever.
2. Find a set of station wagon rear springs.
3. Less aggressive tyre treads.
4. Rebalance fan (engine vibration is markedly less with the fan belt off)
5. I suspect the bearings and probably shaft of the transfer case idler could do with replacing.
6. Seal at back of bonnet
7. Under bonnet insulation.

John

wagoo
28th September 2011, 08:23 PM
A Disco 11? Yes Rick but this is my final Landrover.
I obviously haven't tried the accoustic mat system, but I've tried acres of rubber matting, closed cell foam roof lining, firewall insulation etc and it doesn't make enough improvement to warrant the effort. I feel much of the noise is entering the interior via the metal to metal controls mentioned earlier.
I once had cable operated difflocks, and the difference in noise levels when diff was locked(cable tight) and unlocked (cable slack) was surprising. Probably improvements could be made by rubber bushing the gearbox, transfercase, crawler box, pto and hanbrake linkages so that noise generated by the mechanicals doesn't travel up all these metal 'telephone lines' into the cabin. a rubber bushed steering draglink would make some difference too but would give the RTA heart failure:)
Wagoo.

wagoo
28th September 2011, 09:25 PM
Vibration/harshness - not much you can do in a vehicle that has the body rigidly bolted to the chassis - apart from a suspension seat.
It just occurred to me that almost every sedan on the road has a rigid body/chassis unit (monocoque) so the problem shouldn't be insurmountable.
Wagoo.

LowRanger
28th September 2011, 09:32 PM
If the problem becomes too much to handle,I know someone that is prepared to put up with the noises and idiosyncrasies :D

Wayne

p38arover
28th September 2011, 10:10 PM
Too bad you aren't in Sinney - I have just what you need.

rick130
28th September 2011, 10:13 PM
It just occurred to me that almost every sedan on the road has a rigid body/chassis unit (monocoque) so the problem shouldn't be insurmountable.
Wagoo.

Except that the sub assemblies are all resiliently mounted, including the diffs, steering racks, etc. and I forgot that mass dampers are used to stop harmonics, just like the ones used on Disco diffs and t/cases and the later Disco's even have them hanging under the rear bumper for NVH.

A flex piece in the exhaust reduces harshness, i found that when i added a very heavy home made muffler on my home built exhaust an engine harshness at close to 100km/h (whatever revs that is in 5th) was reduced significantly too, I'm guessing it acted as a mass damper as well ?

wagoo
29th September 2011, 07:20 AM
Except that the sub assemblies are all resiliently mounted, including the diffs, steering racks, etc. and I forgot that mass dampers are used to stop harmonics, just like the ones used on Disco diffs and t/cases and the later Disco's even have them hanging under the rear bumper for NVH.

A flex piece in the exhaust reduces harshness, i found that when i added a very heavy home made muffler on my home built exhaust an engine harshness at close to 100km/h (whatever revs that is in 5th) was reduced significantly too, I'm guessing it acted as a mass damper as well ?

Aside from the steering draglink there are no sub assemblies on a series LR that can't be or aren't already resiliently mounted to the chassis.It's the little detail items I mentioned earlier that appear to be the area where Rover didn't apply any effort. I found a Disco Mass Damper on the road in town a while back! That'd be a nasty lump of metal to hit some pedestrian in the shins when it fell off.They are little more than a shotput disc bolted to a V8 engine mount. The secret is to work out the best location to mount it.
Wagoo.